none
InRelease – automating template creation

Question

• I am setting up InRelease to deploy a number of applications. We have 100+ apps that are currently being deployed as part of Continuous Integration builds. I’d like to be able to automate the creation of a release template as new apps are added. I understand that I can simply use the Copy button to copy a template but I cannot rely on dev intervention to have them created.

Are there any APIs exposed that would allow me to programmatically create (or copy) a pre-defined template?

Friday, August 16, 2013 4:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Zaneta,

Thanks for your post.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Cece

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 19, 2013 3:32 AM
  • Hi Zaneta,

We don't have any exposed API at this point.

Does all your applications deployed the same way (same target servers, same config variables, same execution)?Could you explain a bit further your scenario where you don't want your dev to be involved? Who needs to do those tasks?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Monday, August 19, 2013 5:43 PM
  • Jonathan,

We have a pre-defined number of deployment scenarios created that work for all our existing apps. We do not store anything in the config files that would vary between different environments (no connections strings there either).

We have an automated process in place that, based on some settings in the project, will deploy results of a continuous integration build to appropriate environment. Our developers do not need access to servers since no manual setup is required on their part. Our custom build template triggers deployment using an in-house built deployment process. I am looking to replace that custom deployment tool with InRelease.

To make the switch transparent, I’d like to be able to create a background process that will create a release template for each app (existing or new). I was hoping to maybe be able to leverage the Copy functionality since the deployment steps repeat and only vary by Configuration Parameters.

Do you think that may be possible? Is there anything else you think I may be able to use to automate it?

Thank you,

Zaneta 

Monday, August 19, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Hi,

I understand your scenario. I cannot think of another way to automate those template creation.

Exposing an API is a request we are seeing more and more. It is on our backlog and we will see when we can add that feature.

Jonathan

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:20 PM