none
Cascading drop downs gray out after first selection is made

Question

• I have a report that has two parameters, the first one selects a District, the
    second one is the Plat, there can be 20 districts with multiple plats per
    district. I select the District and then the second drop down is supposed to be
    populated with the unique plats that belong to the selected District. the query
    that populates the second dropdown is something like "Select Plat from table
    where District = @District".

For both of them I do not set a default value.

When I select a District from the first dropdown the "loading" message appears
    and once it goes away both dropdowns are disabled and I can not proceed.

I had found a post about changing the web.config file for SSRS and adding a key,
    the location was (depends on your setup)

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.UTSQL1\Reporting
    Services\ReportManager\Web.config

The line that was added in the keys section was
    * <add key="aspnet:MaxHttpCollectionKeys" value="2000" />

I stopped and restarted the reporting service and I still have the problem, it
    works just fine from Reporting Manager though.

I am using net 4.0, Sql server 2008 standard edition and this is hosted in a
    website (not a website project)

It used to work until just a few weeks ago.

Any ideas or guidance?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:50 PM

Answers

• Found the fix for this, I had noticed this error  message before but thought it was related to the dropdowns

"Message:  Sys.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name:  panelsCreated[1]"

I finally searched on that error message and ran across  several posts saying to put ScriptMode="Release" into the markup, example below,  the drop downs work now

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server"  ScriptMode="Release">
    </asp:ScriptManager>

• Marked as answer by JoeBangy Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hello Joe,

This issue I have faced while trying to browse the reports using Chrome browser. If your's also the same case refer the below thread for the fix.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5968082/ssrs-2008-r2-reports-are-blank-in-safari-and-chrome

After applying the fix make sure to clear the cookies and restart the browser once.

Best Regards Sorna

Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Hi Sorna,

Thank you for your reply, my shop and company use IE as our preferred browser so I have not tested in Chrome, I may try both Chrome and Firefox to see what happens though. After reading through the link that you provided it did give me  a couple more things to look into also so I do appreciate the help :-)

This happens in older versions of IE all the way up to version 10. Since its the company standard it's what I have to develop for, should have put that in my original post also,

Thanks and any more idea's are welcome!

Joe

Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:51 PM
  • Found the fix for this, I had noticed this error  message before but thought it was related to the dropdowns

"Message:  Sys.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name:  panelsCreated[1]"

I finally searched on that error message and ran across  several posts saying to put ScriptMode="Release" into the markup, example below,  the drop downs work now

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server"  ScriptMode="Release">
    </asp:ScriptManager>

• Marked as answer by JoeBangy Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:35 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:35 PM