none
Getting hold of an already reserved app name?

Question

• A couple of months ago I noticed that one of the app names I've previously reserved has renamed itself, it's now prefixed 001. No biggie since I don't think I'd have got around to it. However, I was surprised that I didn't get any notification of it, I'd have been very annoyed if I were about to release an app that I'd worked for months on.

Anyway, I now find myself in the opposite situation, where an app I wrote for Windows Phone, I'd like to make into a Universal App, but the name I used has already been reserved in the Windows 8 store. There doesn't appear to be a published app in that name though. The procedure for trying to recover that name seems to be based around trademark claims.. yet the app name that was recovered from my account definitely wasn't a trademark, suggesting that someone was able to take that from me regardless.

Is there another procedure I can use, to recover an app name if the other person isn't using it?

Thanks

Friday, August 01, 2014 9:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• No you can get the reserved app name. If developer who reserved the app name do not submit the app within one year, he will lose the reserved name, and it will be available for you and other developer to reserve it.

If you are sure that your reserved app name was renamed and prefixed then you can contact Microsoft Support.

http://dev.windows.com/en-us/community/support

Gaurav Khanna | Microsoft VB.NET MVP | Microsoft Community Contributor

Tuesday, August 05, 2014 7:46 AM
  • So if I attempt to reserve an app name that someone else has reserved but not used in over a year, it'll automatically transfer to me? Or is there an actual procedure for getting hold of it?

Saturday, August 09, 2014 11:17 AM
  • No, it doesn't get automatically transfered. If the app name reserved is not used over a year, it would be available to users after one year duration. Anyone can reserve it after that. 

Gaurav Khanna | Microsoft VB.NET MVP | Microsoft Community Contributor

Sunday, August 10, 2014 1:37 PM