none
Visualising, Publishing and Distributing PowerPivot tables and data

Question

• I'm looking for suggestion on the best way of visualising, publishing and distributing the data being produced from our PowerPivot analysis.

Currently our key metrics and data is held with multiple PowerPivot tables stored on various worksheets all inside a single Excel Workbook.

We need the ability to visualise these and distribute them amongst our heads of department and other staff. In an ideal world this would include:

• Using a web-based solution (or an app based solution for mobile) that allows users on any connected device view the charts and reports.
    • Using a solution that allows that provides the user some functionality akin to the slicer / timeline features found in Excel.
    • Allow for real-time, or scheduled updating.

I'm aware of Excel services with SharePoint, unfortunately as a smaller company we do not use Enterprise SharePoint so this does not work for us.

Additionally, I am aware of PowerView which is good start, but I feel it has some limitations in how data can be visualised (for example the size of the view is fairly small and you cannot fit much information within it, formatting is limited etc.). Also with PowerPivot, I am not aware of a way of distributing PowerViews to third parties without them requiring PowerPivot to view them.

Can anyone recommend anything else?

Thanks,
    James

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:20 PM

Answers

• I have, PowerPivot 2013 is actually the only version I've experienced and it is good at something but I would like something more flexible.

I also haven't yet figured out, if it is at possible, how to publish and distribute the PowerViews without needing Excel Services for SharePoint.

Any other recommendations?

Hi Maracles,

Power View is part of the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services add-in for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and 2013 Enterprise Editions. Based on your requirement, please consider implementing SQL Server and SharePoint BI solution which is the best method, is the only method, is to provide data visualization, publishing and distributing.

For detail information, I recommend you refer to the following article:
    Power View Infrastructure Configuration and Installation: Step-by-Step and Scripts: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj591528.aspx

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:53 AM

All replies

• Have you tried Power View in Excel 2013?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:40 PM
    Owner
  • I have, PowerPivot 2013 is actually the only version I've experienced and it is good at something but I would like something more flexible.

I also haven't yet figured out, if it is at possible, how to publish and distribute the PowerViews without needing Excel Services for SharePoint.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 9:59 AM

Do you have SharePoint?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:20 PM
    Owner

Hi Maracles,

Power View is part of the Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services add-in for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and 2013 Enterprise Editions. Based on your requirement, please consider implementing SQL Server and SharePoint BI solution which is the best method, is the only method, is to provide data visualization, publishing and distributing.

For detail information, I recommend you refer to the following article:
    Power View Infrastructure Configuration and Installation: Step-by-Step and Scripts: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj591528.aspx

Best Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:53 AM
  • Hi Elvis,

We are currently transitioning to Office 365 (Mid-size Business Subscription) and as far as I'm away the add-in's you mention are not available for that plan, is that correct?

It seems to me that this software is tailored largely to major corporations which is a shame since it's functionality is very much beneficial to organisations of any size that collects data.

Cheers,

Sunday, September 01, 2013 11:34 AM

Hi Maracles,

There are companies that provide SharePoint 2010/2013 as a Cloud service. You pay a monthly rent, no upfront licences. At least Pivotstream also have a solution that read your local SQL Server (Data source) nightly and could refresh data nightly.

Larra

Sunday, September 01, 2013 11:39 AM
  • Thanks Larra, this is definitely more in line with what I was looking for, are you familiar with any other similar services?

Regards,
    James
    Sunday, September 01, 2013 11:44 AM