difference Visual basic ... and visual studio ....

Question

• My question:

What is the difference between Visual basic and Visual Studio?
    I know you can do a vieuw things with VS that you can't with VB.
    But what's the great difference.

And what do you think is better.

I'm talking here about the 2008 express editons with sp1

And are the scripts different or are they quit the same?
    Me.Ryan. Holland. Vb2008 express rocks.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:53 PM

Answers

• I think that A.m.a.L has given the only non-confusing answers, but let me explain a little further.

Danish and English are examples of languages, but if you want to write some text in these languages, you need an editor like Word to do it. If this editor is able to do more things  - for example do image processing and make PDF export, it is called an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), that is, an environment where you can do everything what you need to do. VS is such an IDE. VS can do much more than just editing. It can also run and debug your code and publish it. Therefore it is not just an editor, but an IDE. An IDE is a common working environment, which you don't have to leave to do the things you need to do.

When you download VB, you actually get VS so you cannot install VB without VS. If you already have downloaded VB, what you have on your computer is actually VS so you don't need to do anything.

Hope this clarifies things.
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    • Marked as answer by me.Ryan Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:13 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:24 PM
  • me.Ryan,

really you are using visual studio, it is just an express edition so it is limited to only one language and has less features than the standard or professional version.  Basically they took the full version and broke it up into seperate language editions and fewer features.  the full versions of visual studio allow you to choose from all the languages availabe and all the projects available including setup projects for installers.  if you took a full version and stripped it down to just vb specifics and fewer features, that is what you have.  so what you have is a visual studio 2008 express edition.

Jeff
    FREE DEVELOPER TOOLS, CODE & PROJECTS at www.srsoft.us Database Code Generator and Tutorial
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:01 PM
  • as far as what is better is a matter of opinion.  visual studio standard or pro will have much more features and you can develop in multiple languages and use visual studio tools for office (VSTO) which will allow you to create add-ins and template projects for microsoft office products (excel, word, etc...)  you can automate these from vb express as well though.  you don't have quite the same ability because you can't create and add-in or template but you can still work with them through automation or third party tools.  coding in express is not really limited that i know of.  you still are using the .net framework.  the best option is to compare them to see what will work best for your needs.  do a google search with this   VisualStudio2008-ProductComparison-v1.08    and you can download or look at the list to see the differences.  you can also download the trial version of the profeessional edition and compare them side by side.  one big thing that is missing in the express editions is the setup projects to make an installer/uninstaller for your application but again you can use third party tools or create one yourself as an application or using a vb script file, etc...
    FREE DEVELOPER TOOLS, CODE & PROJECTS at www.srsoft.us Database Code Generator and Tutorial
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:11 PM

All replies

• Visual Basic a programming language.

Visual Studio is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) which can be used to develop applications.

Visual Studio 2008 is the latest version of the Visual Studio series which support application development in .Net framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5.

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L

.Net Goodies
    [Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question]
    Monday, May 11, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Whats a script? I've been programming 40 years and I've never seen one.
    -Renee
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:22 PM
  • But Visual Basic is not used to develop applications?
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:24 PM
  • But Visual Basic is not used to develop applications?

Renee, there are a number of beginners/learners on this Forum that are looking up to people like you for guidance. It is will be most helpful if you can clarify issues by addressing the question asked and over-looking the errors in the question or answers provided to them.

Please assist with the answer.
    Only performance counts!
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Sylva,

If one overlooks errors returned to people, then one is complicit in the bad answer, isn't one? 
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:19 PM
  • Lets hear it from you man. Drop it like it's hot. We're all waiting...
    Only performance counts!
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:22 PM
  • The answer is in terms of sets and subsets. Of course VB can be used to develop an application but not an integrated application. What if the application is partially an HTML application or a part C++ application and a part vb application? If that is the case, then VB and HTML are needed for an integrated solution as are methologies to debug them. This is the difference between vb and the remainder of the solution of which vb is only a small part. VB is a subset of the total solution in that case.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Thanks but if you have the time, please try breaking it down further.

Thanks once more.
    Only performance counts!
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:47 PM
  • I didn't see your post. I wouldn't have responded if I'd seen you call me 'man'. Also, I dont know what "drop it like it's hot" means.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:48 PM
  • I didn't see your post. I wouldn't have responded if I'd seen you call me 'man'. Also, I dont know what "drop it like it's hot" means.

I don't get it either, Renee.
    Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Monday, May 11, 2009 7:00 PM
  • OK, let me try again. Visual studio will do a lot more than visual basic will. Visual studio comes with the ability to tie a large number of things togther for debugging.

Thank you, RD2 for relating your confusion also.

-Renee
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:46 PM

If it offends, I retract it and I apologise. You command my utmost respect.
    Only performance counts!
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:17 AM
  • So I would be better off with VS?
    Cause I make for 90% applications as an internet broser etc.

And is VS also object-oriented, or is VS more script-oriented?

Can you use Javascripts in VS?
    Without having to call them from another place?

Can You instal Booth VS and VB on the same computer without the computer crashing?, or quiting to work for one of the two?
    I use Vista?

• Edited by me.Ryan Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:03 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 10:59 AM
  • Yes you can develop 100% of application using visual studio.

You can create a website and you can manage javascript aslo.

vs has inbuilt intellisense support for javascript.

just try it and find how powerful it is.

Thanks,
    A.m.a.L

.Net Goodies
    [Remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a correct reply to your question]
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:04 AM
  • thanks.
    But can you isntal it when you already have installed VB?
    Cause when I installed VB6.0 When I already had VB it crashed.
    And I had to reinstal everything on the computer(including operating system)
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 11:47 AM
  • I think that A.m.a.L has given the only non-confusing answers, but let me explain a little further.

Danish and English are examples of languages, but if you want to write some text in these languages, you need an editor like Word to do it. If this editor is able to do more things  - for example do image processing and make PDF export, it is called an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), that is, an environment where you can do everything what you need to do. VS is such an IDE. VS can do much more than just editing. It can also run and debug your code and publish it. Therefore it is not just an editor, but an IDE. An IDE is a common working environment, which you don't have to leave to do the things you need to do.

When you download VB, you actually get VS so you cannot install VB without VS. If you already have downloaded VB, what you have on your computer is actually VS so you don't need to do anything.

Hope this clarifies things.
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:24 PM
  • So My VB really is VS?

Why does it say VB express 2008 then?
    Or do you have to go to somewere to code in VS?
    Or don't I get it at all?
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 12:34 PM
  • me.Ryan,

really you are using visual studio, it is just an express edition so it is limited to only one language and has less features than the standard or professional version.  Basically they took the full version and broke it up into seperate language editions and fewer features.  the full versions of visual studio allow you to choose from all the languages availabe and all the projects available including setup projects for installers.  if you took a full version and stripped it down to just vb specifics and fewer features, that is what you have.  so what you have is a visual studio 2008 express edition.

Jeff
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:01 PM
  • as far as what is better is a matter of opinion.  visual studio standard or pro will have much more features and you can develop in multiple languages and use visual studio tools for office (VSTO) which will allow you to create add-ins and template projects for microsoft office products (excel, word, etc...)  you can automate these from vb express as well though.  you don't have quite the same ability because you can't create and add-in or template but you can still work with them through automation or third party tools.  coding in express is not really limited that i know of.  you still are using the .net framework.  the best option is to compare them to see what will work best for your needs.  do a google search with this   VisualStudio2008-ProductComparison-v1.08    and you can download or look at the list to see the differences.  you can also download the trial version of the profeessional edition and compare them side by side.  one big thing that is missing in the express editions is the setup projects to make an installer/uninstaller for your application but again you can use third party tools or create one yourself as an application or using a vb script file, etc...
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:11 PM
  • thank you.
    I'm going to download the pro version to see.
    Just answer my questions and don't go talking about nothing, thanks.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Ryan,
    I'd recommend that you try vb IF you are ONLY dealing with VB. However if there is anything else involved, even HTML Visual Studio would be a nice and helpful thing to have around.

Renee
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:47 PM
  • Let's talk about the difference between VS and VBE (note the large E).
    Let's look at the vs world first. VS is called an IDE because you can do a lot with it in the language of your choice, as long as the implemention language abides by .Net standards. Thats what IDE means is that you can tie a lot of different things togther. Visual basic express will only give you Visual basic. There is another important difference. Visual basic Express is conditionalized so that it will only talk to SQL Express (within limits). Visual basic and the IDE have no such restrictions.

Lets talk, briefly about the difference between a singular language and an integrated Developement Environment. The first thing we notice as we try the words on is that it doesn't have natural boundaries. Typical of people, IDE is bestraught with artifaces.

With VS, vb can talk to any other language as long as the goal conforms to the .NET standards in place. With vbE it is coditionalized to tak to only vbE
    (within the .NET framework..-not counting some c++ dlls.

That in a nutshell is the difference between a language and an IDE. The language is one language where in the ide it may amount to many langauges, as long as they conform to the .NET language specification.

Monday, May 25, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Do you than now how you refere to a javascript code from VB2008,
    And that that javascript will go to an half-known link(example: I want to go to a page but don't know the last 3 characters, how can you let VB search to them automatically, example: http://webpage.com/link1.php=1&c=*, and than for the * the 3 characters!)
    Webpage in question is not mine.
    Thanks for answering my questions, Please explain in code, and for other programming languanges than VB2008.net explain very clearly.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:09 PM
  • OK Ryan,

Let's take it one step at a time.

Do I know how to refer to java script code from vb2008. No I don't but it's not a Microsoft solution is it? If I am not mistaken, orthodox code makes an effort to do it "the Microsoft way" which does not include java.

OK, "half-known link"? Let's suppose you are there and there are a couple of files that match each spec. We know to execute the latest one but not which of the many to execute. It can happen. So why doesn't our pogram KNOW?

-Renee

Ooh. I just noticed you asked me to give the answer in code, a reasonable request, however I'm in the hospital. I doubt I can put them im code, since my code is at home.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Hi,
    Lot of Good information has been shared in this thread for which all persons must accept thanks from Novices like me. You really don't know how much your answers help us.
    I am into programming for 2 months and have few questions on the topic:

1. I have VB Express 2008 and in its "HELP" there are whole lot of things related to Deployment Editors, File Management which helps to deploy our project on users computers with our different files and folders we use in our project , but surprisingly I couldn't find any of those deployment editors  and all other stuff in my VB exp. ARe these not available in VB exp or they are there but I just couldn't find them.

2. In VB exp Publishing it says that we can load prerequisites like .Net 3.5 SP1 required for my project in the CD, I followed all the steps but I couldn't compile them in my project on the CD.  When a user installs my program from CD, he needs to have an Internet Connection  from where the installer automatically downloads the prerequisite .Net from Microsoft website.  So in brief My program can't be installed on a computer which is not connected to the internet.  However, this is required only for the first time during installation.  Why I can't download the Prerequisites when there is a specific option in the Publishing Wizard?

Hope Some One can find time to throw some Light on above.
    Thanks
    RITC29

Monday, May 25, 2009 9:40 PM
  • RITC29,

I will advice that you post this as  another thread so that its answers will be available to other users with similar problems.
    Only performance counts!
    Monday, May 25, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:40 AM
  • @Renee Culver: Are you still in the hospital?, What do you have than, you said the same thing 2 weeks ago too.

And, for the halfknown link: If I'm right there's alwasys only 1 link available, and if not, it will not matter if they all execute ad ones, cause only one will work.

Thankx.

Ps. What's orthodox and how do I use it?

Thanks for answering my questions, Please explain in code, and for other programming languanges than VB2008.net explain very clearly.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:23 AM
  • Ryan,
    To answer your question, yes I am still in the hospital. I didn't plan on being run over by an unlicensed driver but I was. I am not in the hospital for 'repair' any longer. Instead the SSA has allocated about 1900/month for me and gotten a liberal housing allowance for me to find a place to live. I was going to work until I died but that didn't get very far. So I am in the hospital until they figure out what to do with me. This place is very boring. They do nothing for the mind here. It's an awful place although it look's great.  
    -Renee
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:16 PM
  • That sound's like ____.
    Hope you get out there soon.

Good luck!
    Thanks for answering my questions, Please explain in code, and for other programming languanges than VB2008.net explain very clearly. My programming skills are:(1 to 5) Html = 4 php = 1 VB2008 = 2 (stand alones 3)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 2:09 PM
  • That's not really b.s. even though it sounds like it as I found out today. I do hope to be out in 1 to 4 months.
    Renee
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Succes,

But what's orthodox code again?
    Thanks for answering my questions, Please explain in code, and for other programming languanges than VB2008.net explain very clearly. My programming skills are:(1 to 5) Html = 4 php = 1 VB2008 = 2 (stand alones 3)
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Oh thank you for providing a context beyond the word itself. "Orthodox" means properly wriiten by someone's standards. It's the 'standards' that are contoversial. For instance, shoud code be self documenting? Should code be written to be obvious?
    -Renee
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:50 PM
  • "For instance, shoud code be self documenting? Should code be written to be obvious?"

Yes, definitely! If code is not written that way, it will be absolutely impossible to maintain for anybody else - and even for yourself! There is nothing so difficult as to understand ones own very smart, but undocumented construction just half a year ago :-) You know that the code is there for some reason and you don't dare to remove it, but you can't remember why you put it there.

You never get time to write a good documentation. It must be done immediately in the comments when you write the code so that the code becomes self documenting.

The best programming language is the one with the shortest time from you see the code until you fully understand what goes on. This is why I prefer graphical programming and if this is not possible - english style like VB and Fortran95. Read the second line of my signature.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans understand.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:16 AM
  • Ryan,
    To answer your question, yes I am still in the hospital. I didn't plan on being run over by an unlicensed driver but I was. I am not in the hospital for 'repair' any longer. Instead the SSA has allocated about 1900/month for me and gotten a liberal housing allowance for me to find a place to live. I was going to work until I died but that didn't get very far. So I am in the hospital until they figure out what to do with me. This place is very boring. They do nothing for the mind here. It's an awful place although it look's great.  
    -Renee

With sympathies from Nigeria, West Africa Renee Culver. Please get well soon. We need you here.
    Only performance counts!
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:18 AM