Can't tell who last responded anymore

Question

• In the new redesign, you can no longer who made the last response to a thread (at least not in "My Threads" view, etc).

This makes it VERY difficult to tell if you need to reply to a thread.  When answering many threads, it's currently unmanageable, since you have no way to know if you replied last without opening each thread in sequence.

For example, see:

I have no idea if I was the last replier here, or if the original poster (or anybody else) has responded, so I don't know if I need to open this and answer.

In fact, you can't even tell who asked this!  In the previous design, you could always see:

• The original poster's name
    • The last responder's name

Both of these are critical pieces of information that have been lost.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• I personally want the old MSDN interface back. It was OK for me to work with. I got used to its bugs already. Now we get this new interface down our throats.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:17 PM
  • In the new redesign, you can no longer who made the last response to a thread (at least not in "My Threads" view, etc).

Join the club. This is the way posts from the NNTP bridge have been for a while (do not show as last response).

And today the NNTP bridge is not working at all for some reason.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:59 AM
  • The fact that we can no longer do something as simple as see who last responded to a post without opening it is really really poor. 

I'm with Naomi, just bring back the old interface, or at least give us the option to revert. 

Thanks! Josh

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:08 AM
  • I would add, if a post/reply/question is long, we cannot tell the author until we get to the bottom. Sometimes the reply doesn't make sense until we see who posted it (the op, the same person as the previous reply, etc.).

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:32 AM
  • I'd agree on this one -- it would be nice, from a collapsed state, if we could see who the last post was by (and not just the time).

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:37 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback Reed (and others).

We're reading the feedback, both positive and negative, very carefully.

The decision to remove the original poster / last responder metadata from the thread summary list was based on feedback from usability testing of the new design.  Developers told consistently there was too much metadata "cluttering" the thread summaries and distracting from the actual text of the thread.  When asked to prioritize the metadata that was most important to retain, they identified the fields we show today (i.e., number of replies, number of views, and time of last post).

Early feedback following today's launch, particularly from MVPs like yourself, argues for adding "Posted by" and "Last Response by" back into the thread summaries.  We will give this serious consideration.

Thanks,

Doug 

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:18 AM
    Administrator
  • Here is a recent post (near the top in order of last reply) in the "Forums Issues" forum:

Looks like I need to investigate a new problem. Someone is complaining about inability to post code. Open the thread and read a rant, until you get at the bottom of the question and notice in tiny font that the question was asked in September, 2009. Or maybe you miss the date at first, as I did. Someone replied to this very old thread.

I think we need the date of the original question/post, as well as the name, in the list of threads.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Doug,

I kind of hate to ask this, but where do you find your "useability testers"? They were also used as the excuse as to why the crumb trail features were removed and why everything is called an "app" in SharePoint 2013. I have found no "users" that are happy about this or thought that it improved "useability".

By the way, the topic of this thread and the removal of "My Forums Threads" is going to greatly reduce my ability to respond to the many forums I support.

Mike

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com my SP customization book

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:39 AM
  • Doug,

I am wondering who your usability experts are. For me this new design is a complete disaster. I used to come to the forums, I can see my profile with all useful links on the right, it was convenient. I was then able to concentrate on the forums I usually participate in and I normally would look into all new threads from top to bottom, read them all, answer when I can answer.

Now I can not do this anymore. I need that old MSDN view of the forums back. Give the option to either use the old interface or a new one. 

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:42 AM
  • Thanks Doug. I agree with the original posters comment that it would be nice to have this back. Overall I am adapting to the new design and really starting to like it. This is my only bit of feedback so far.

Doug Hemminger http://www.sharepointdoug.com

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:04 AM

Metro UI is bad. 

But the way Metro UI has been rammed into these forums is the worst example of it I have seen. 

The amount of bugs and issues is embarrassing for whoever the 'usability testers' were.

Thanks! Josh

• Edited by Josh Ashwood Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:17 AM just cos
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:16 AM
  • Since this is the first thread I've found with an actual Microsoft employee even appearing since this started, I'm going to say the same thing I've said in multiple other threads.

Please roll these changes back.

Entirely.

I've yet to find anything (I actually mean that) that's an improvement over the old forum design. You can find (maybe, perhaps all of you are just as lost in this clutter as I am) additional comments of mine in other threads as well.

EDIT: I'd say you could just look at my activity log to see where I've been posting, but it hasn't been updating for the last 5 hours.
    • Edited by Mike Laughlin Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:27 AM asdgfaq
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:21 AM
  • Micorsoft should have taken a BETA version rather than a GLOBAL version for the new redesign forum. In that case, we would be able to feel the pros and cons and then trun out to GA(global audience). This redesign is no longer friendly. I wish Microsoft would definitely consider the rollback option.

Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:49 AM
  • I feel your pain. The complete look is terrible. I get a headache after a few minutes.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:52 AM
  • Richard,

i had run into this thread this morning too. The starting Date of the thread has to be visible, otherwise you start opening old threads all the time. Mostly because someone suggest a component of their company which would help to fix the problem the poster had ( SPAM ) .

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:00 AM
  • I don't see how the number of views would be of use. Except maybe as an indication of age.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:57 AM
  • Having exactly the same problem.

@Microsoft staff: Please … never mark a reply as answered, if does not absolulety apply or if it is just useless troubleshooting gibberish. (I say that for a reason, because you regularly mark absolutely useless replies as answers. Sometimes a problem is hard to solve, or not ata ll, and therefor stays without answer. That is sad for everyone, but *you* must accept that fact!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:04 PM

The decision to remove the original poster / last responder metadata from the thread summary list was based on feedback from usability testing of the new design.  Developers told consistently there was too much metadata "cluttering" the thread summaries and distracting from the actual text of the thread.  When asked to prioritize the metadata that was most important to retain, they identified the fields we show today (i.e., number of replies, number of views, and time of last post).

Early feedback following today's launch, particularly from MVPs like yourself, argues for adding "Posted by" and "Last Response by" back into the thread summaries.  We will give this serious consideration.

Thanks,

Doug 

I am amazed that a company like Microsoft doesn't have a clue about Which tools are essential to be found in the forum. And instead of improving those tools, they make them disappear.

As it is in the new forums, it is very difficult to actually manage the threads that I am answering. All I can do is keep opening threads to see what is going on and if someone is waiting on a reply from me.

This get really frustrating, ... And we are just in the first day.

I had feed back from many answerers that they may stop answering for a while, .. the time the forum gets fixed.

I think that this is quite bad for the community ... and it is sad.

I would like to suggest that Microsoft re-install the old version the time it fix this one such a way that it gets usable.

• Edited by Crazypennie Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:17 PM 12345
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:39 PM
  • The decision to remove the original poster / last responder metadata from the thread summary list was based on feedback from usability testing of the new design.  Developers told consistently there was too much metadata "cluttering" the thread summaries and distracting from the actual text of the thread.  When asked to prioritize the metadata that was most important to retain, they identified the fields we show today (i.e., number of replies, number of views, and time of last post).

Doug,

When I first saw the new design, I wondered if I had missed out on some opportunity to test a beta site or something. I don't know who participated in your usability testing, but I bet it wasn't people who answer a lot of questions on these forums (like MVPs and MCCs)! The metadata that your testers identified as most important is obviously not what most of us would have chosen!!!

Please put original poster / last responder back into the thread summary!!!!

~~Bonnie Berent DeWitt [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:47 PM
  • One more note - in my threads there is no visual indication as which threads have new messages. How now should I figure out which are new threads?

BTW, today I haven't answered a single thread in the forum I visit most. All my time this morning was again wasted in these threads about new re-design.

You can also see that Chrome bug is not fixed - once I accidentally hit enter and then delete, the font became small.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:58 PM
  • One more note - in my threads there is no visual indication as which threads have new messages. How now should I figure out which are new threads?

BTW, today I haven't answered a single thread in the forum I visit most. All my time this morning was again wasted in these threads about new re-design.

You can also see that Chrome bug is not fixed - once I accidentally hit enter and then delete, the font became small.

Seconded. I'm using FF, so I can't comment on the size issue, but I haven't even made a post in any forum that isn't related to the "upgrade" at all today.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:08 PM
  • I agree Naomi. I need to open every thread to see if there is something new. And, I need to look in every forum, since the "My Forums" view shows nothing but statistics like number of answered threads.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:28 PM

Thanks,

Doug 

For me it's pretty important to quickly see if one of my threads has been updates with information. And with 'pretty important' I mean: 'It's the first and last thing I do at work. And a lot of times in between!'

@Microsoft staff: Please … never mark a reply as answered, if does not absolulety apply or if it is just useless troubleshooting gibberish. (I say that for a reason, because you regularly mark absolutely useless replies as answers. Sometimes a problem is hard to solve, or not ata ll, and therefor stays without answer. That is sad for everyone, but *you* must accept that fact!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:30 PM
  • Agree with above thoughts:

• Please show who posted the first message in a thread.
    • Please show who last replied to a thread, and when.
    • Please add "read" and "unread" to the filtering/sorting.
    • Nice to have: Mark all as read.

Bill

• Edited by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:26 PM Clarification
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:25 PM
  • (As per Bryant's request earlier today)

Please vote this up here everyone:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bcb4b6f8-dd01-40ed-97cb-d7816362a485/please-bring-back-poster-and-responder-identity

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:17 PM
  • Hey Reed,

I just voted that up! Thanks!

Do you know if there's a similar thread for voting up the request to put the poster's avatar and identity info at the beginning of the post instead of hidden in a teeny, tiny corner at the bottom?

Friday, June 21, 2013 12:10 AM
  • Hey Reed,

I just voted that up! Thanks!

Do you know if there's a similar thread for voting up the request to put the poster's avatar and identity info at the beginning of the post instead of hidden in a teeny, tiny corner at the bottom?

Bonnie -

There wasn't, but there is now ;)  : http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e75441e4-67d7-49a9-972d-810e409a3dee/poster-identity-should-be-at-beginning-of-post-not-end

Friday, June 21, 2013 12:23 AM
  • It looks like it is now implemented. I can see the username of the user with the last reply:

Friday, June 21, 2013 7:32 AM
  • A "hotfix" was deployed late yesterday:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/52361452-a85d-4aff-bf94-2f1a0f3588f9/forums-hotfix-june-20-2013

Friday, June 21, 2013 11:34 AM
  • A "hotfix" was deployed late yesterday:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/52361452-a85d-4aff-bf94-2f1a0f3588f9/forums-hotfix-june-20-2013

Thank you!

Just one more fix and I can get back to aswering questions!  -->  "My Forums Threads"

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com my SP customization book

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Just one more fix and I can get back to aswering questions!  -->  "My Forums Threads"

Voting thread for that is here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1ff9748f-a4f7-49fd-a8d2-9719a466148c/restore-my-forums-threads-option

Friday, June 21, 2013 5:57 PM
  • I never used the old "My Forums" because there was no meta data about recent activity. It didn't help me know which Forum to open. I instead used the "My Recent Forums" tab on the main forums page, which had information on the most recent activity in each forum (where I had recently contributed).

I also never used "My Forums Threads", so I don't remember what it showed. How was it different from "My Threads"? What did it show?

I was going to request that meta data about the most recent post in each forum be added to the "My Forums" view. This would replace the functionality I lost now that I don't have a "My Recent Forums" view. However, would my needs be met by the "My Forums Threads" view? If it shows all of my recent threads, then that is not what I need.

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:45 PM
  • I also never used "My Forums Threads", so I don't remember what it showed. How was it different from "My Threads"? What did it show?

I was going to request that meta data about the most recent post in each forum be added to the "My Forums" view. This would replace the functionality I lost now that I don't have a "My Recent Forums" view. However, would my needs be met by the "My Forums Threads" view? If it shows all of my recent threads, then that is not what I need.

The "My Forums Threads" was a view of all of the threads from all of "My Forums" - you could sort by "Most Recent Post" or "Most Recent Thread", which would allow you to monitor ALL of your forums in one view.

It's effectively like selecting each of "your forums" from the forums in the new tree view - the view you get is the threads from all of those selected forums.  The "My Forums Threads" persisted that view on all of hte forums you chose (and no others).

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:48 PM
  • Thanks Reed. So it is just like "My Threads", but limited to the forums in "My Forums". So I think I still want the meta data added to the "My Forums" view. Seeing information there on the last post is far more useful than the number of answsered and unanswered threads. And, if someone enters a new question, I'll see it in "My Forums", while it would never show up in "My Threads".

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:58 PM
  • I also used 'Forums Home' that showed most recently used forums on the first tab, popular forums on the second and all forums on the third. I would like this view to be somehow available also.

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:58 PM
  • Thanks Reed. So it is just like "My Threads", but limited to the forums in "My Forums". So I think I still want the meta data added to the "My Forums" view. Seeing information there on the last post is far more useful than the number of answsered and unanswered threads. And, if someone enters a new question, I'll see it in "My Forums", while it would never show up in "My Threads".

No - it was ALL of the threads (not just yours) from "My Forums" - so if you looked at it, you'd see all of the new posts that were made, no matter which forum they were, by time. 

If you think of the old My Forums with metadata - all of those new posts would be shown in a list instead of just seeing the times, in order by age.

(I actually never used anything exception "My Forums Threads" and "My Threads" in the old design - the first view showed me anything new from any of my forums, and the second allowed me to handle follow-ups to my previous posts...)

Friday, June 21, 2013 11:41 PM
  • Ok, but I still want the meta data added to the My Forums view. In that view I have a few forums, not the hundreds of threads active in the forums I participate in.

I can see how people would use "My Forum Threads" if it works as you describe. I guess it is a consolidation of all of the threads in all of the forums you designate. But I think I would lose track of which forum I was in and whether I was a moderator. I want to deal with one forum at a time. I want the "My Forums" view to help me decide which to open. And I give preference to the forums I moderate.

Plus, on the main forums page can't I specify multiple forums and see all activity in those specified forums? Wouldn't this be the same, or is the issue that the specification is not remembered?

Saturday, June 22, 2013 12:38 AM
  • Early feedback following today's launch, particularly from MVPs like yourself, argues for adding "Posted by" and "Last Response by" back into the thread summaries.  We will give this serious consideration.

How about the "Posted by" in the actual thread? I was just looking at the replies that had been made to a question I asked, and I can't even see who replied! How am I supposed to work out who said what?

The summary is fine for showing the very last poster, but it doesn't help me much if two or more people have responded, and it doesn't help when reading a thread as I don't know who said what.

Please fix this serious usability issue. I can't believe that this is still outstanding after all the months since you forced this awful redesign on us. I hardly use the forums any more, and you're pushing me into using them even less.

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Monday, November 11, 2013 3:01 PM
  • How about the "Posted by" in the actual thread? I was just looking at the replies that had been made to a question I asked, and I can't even see who replied! How am I supposed to work out who said what?

It seems that just started screwing up this weekend. It had been showing the poster at the bottom of each post up until now. Don't know what happened ... 

~~Bonnie DeWitt [C# MVP]

http://geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Monday, November 11, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Monday, November 11, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Doug,

Did your "usability testers" do anything really silly, like begin as a newbie to these forums with a fresh user id and try to find a specific forum.  I just tried to find the networking forum (as in writing TCP/IP code) and cannot find that forum.  The same question applies to any specific forum.

~jag77 We need to know what a dragon is before we study its anatomy. (Bryan Kelly, 2010)

Monday, November 11, 2013 4:21 PM
  • I think MS disabled it to reduce pressure on the forum. Yesterday the forum was unusable slow and has thrown a lot of errors.

Monday, November 11, 2013 7:14 PM