System:InvalidOperationException

Question

• Hi. I hope this is the right place for this as I am new to this site and new to VS.net. I was wandering if anyone could tell me what it means when an error says that the program that I built in visual basic has encountered a problem and needs to shutdown. I made a program and in visual basic there are no errors and it builds just fine and runs fine in runtime and it even deploys (builds) just fine. I installed it on the same machine with visual studio and I can open and run the program, and it installs just fine on a machine without visual studio, but when I run the program the error comes up about it haveing encountered a problem and needs to shutdown. When I look at the error, it says EventType : clr20r3     P1 : learningyouralphabet.exe     P2 : 1.0.2241.25293   P3 : 43f939c3     P4 : learningyouralphabet     P5 : 1.0.2241.25293     P6 : 43f939c3     P7 : 1b     P8 : e9     P9 : system.invalidoperationexception

Does anyone know what this is from and how to resolve this issue. I have looked at numerous threads and I can not find an answer.

mjcs

Monday, February 20, 2006 5:42 AM

All replies

• First I would make sure the computer you are trying to run it on has the same version of the dotnet framework installed. ( 2.0 for VB 2005 1.1 for VB.Net 2003 and 1.0 for VB.Net) The other possiblility is that it is trying to open a file, database, etc that is not available on the target computer.  It is also possible that the computer is looking for a file in the wrong location. 
    Monday, February 20, 2006 2:36 PM
  • Hate to see posts without a possible solution.

In my case it was all related to Crystal Reports (shitty SAP support)...

I've had this (clr20r3) system.invalidoperationexception error twice on my deployment pc's, first time the solution was to include the:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules\CrystalReports11_5_NET_2005.msm (:\Program Files\Common Files\Crystal Decisions\2.5\bin was missing on the deploy pc).

The second time I had upgraded my project to VS2010, project included references to the 11.5.37 dll's:
    Crystaldecisions.Crystalreports.Engine
    Crystaldecisions.Shared
    Crystaldecisions.Windows.forms

Once upgraded VS changed those references to 14.0.2000.0

The apps all immediately crashed on startup with invalidoperationexception!

G'luck all!

Michael

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 11:18 AM