How to connect mysql database to visual basic 2005 Express project? And I dont know how to locate mysql database on my C: drive?

Question

• Hello ,

Please help me. I have worked on Visualbasic 6 and access. But now I am trying to learn Visual basic 2005 Express with mysql server 5.5 and I just dont know how to connect databse to my visual basic project? Even I dont know how to locate the databases I have created in mysql.  And in vb express ....data source shows Microsoft sql server and access....but not showing mysql..why so? what I have to do? Please guide me step wise if possible.

Thanks in advance

Trup

Friday, June 22, 2007 1:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• First, VB.Net 2005 Express only supports connection to SQL Server and Access.  That being said you should be able to use an ODBC or other software to make the connection to the MySQL database.  Here is an article I found on the topic - http://www.vbmysql.com/articles/vbnet-mysql-tutorials/the-vbnet-mysql-tutorial-part-3/  I hope this helps.

Wade

Friday, June 22, 2007 8:03 AM
  • HI;

No you are wrong! ytou can use MySQL in vb.net but you need to install the Connector NET from mysql site. www.mysql.com and download also the Mysql Connector Net 5.1.2 that is compatible to vb.net 2005. I ahce sample vb.net code in connecting mysql from vb.net 2005...

More power!!!!!

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 4:08 AM
  • Did you bother to view the link I provided?  As the original poster mentioned you only can create a connection to a SQL or Access database from the IDE in VB.Net Express, but if you follow the link I provided it shows how you can use the MySQL Connector (as well as setup a few other items) to connect to MySQL from VB.Net Express.

Wade

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 10:41 PM
  • How to connect mysql database to visual basic 2005 Express project

Sunday, November 25, 2007 12:16 PM