Installing Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0 for Visual Studio 2008

Question

• Hi there,

I have both Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2003 installed, but I'm having no luck installing the Interop Forms Toolkit. Is having Visual Studio 2005 installed a requirement for getting Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0 installed/working?

I originally decided to install the Toolkit into:
    C:\Data\Data Drive\Programs\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0
    ... (because C:\Data\Data Drive is an NTFS junction to another partition on my PC). I downloaded InteropFormToolsInstaller.msi, microsoft.interopformsredist.msi and setup.exe from the Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0 download page and then ran setup.exe. Seemingly all that managed to get installed were the following three files:
    setup/BootstrapperPackageInstaller.dll
    setup/HelpRegistrationInstaller.dll
    setup/Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary.DLL

... Although some entries have also been made in the Windows Registry, such as HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{406C5DF9-7D53-4FCC-8B97-1BEA552C6633}\1.0\0\win32.

When I look in Add/Remove Programs, I cannot see any entry for the Toolkit (what exactly should it be called in there?) so I cannot perform an un-install of what has been installed. Is there a way to erase everything the Toolkit installer has managed to install (so I can start it again)? Or should I be able to install over these registry settings?

When I re-run setup.exe now (no matter what installation directory I choose) and click a few Next buttons, the text "Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0a is being installed." and a progress bar appear on the installer window. The progress bar completes (100%) once and then, on the second pass, gets to about 98% complete before reversing right back to the start. No files get installed and the text on the installer window reads as follows:"""
    The installer was interrupted before Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkt 2.0a could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again.

Click "Close" to exit.
    """

The install.log file (whch is created in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp\VSD23.tmp directory) reads as follows:"""
    The following properties have been set:
    Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
    Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = Intel {string}
    Property: [VersionNT] = 5.1.2 {version}
    Launching Application.
    Using MsiInstallProduct with package path 'C:\Data\Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0\InteropFormToolsInstaller.msi' and command line ''
    MsiInstallProduct returned '1603'
    """

... And the following entry is made in the Windows Event Log in Computer Management -> Event Viewer -> Application:"""
    Product: Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0a -- Installation failed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    """

By default, the "Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0a" selects C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0\ as the installation directory, so I figured that the "Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0" may be a pre-requisite and so I tried to install it as well... I downloaded VisualBasicPowerPacks3Setup.exe from the Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 Download Page and ran it. After clicking a few Next buttons, the installer reports it is configuring the install... And then jumps straight to a screen reporting the following message:"""
    An error occurred during setup

The following error occurred during setup:

Installation failed.

For more information, visit the following Web site:

Product Support Center

"""
    As this screen appears, another window (titled "setup.exe") jumps in front of it saying the following:"""
    Microsoft Visual Basic Power Packs 3.0 has encountered a problem during setup.  Setup did not complete correctly.

An error occurred during setup and a report was created with useful information about the problem encountered.
    Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
    By submitting this report, you will help Microsoft improve setup. Microsoft will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.t

What data does this report contain?

"""

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I can provide ReaVNC access to my PC if that helps? Surprise

n.b.  I daren't remove VS2003 for the moment as I do have existing VS2003 projects.
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Toddap_MS,

Thanks for that. I did scan through that very article before I installed the Toolkit originally, but since I didn't have VS2005 installed side-by-side with VS2008, I thought I might be okay... And/or that the toolkit would at least install (even if it didn't show up properly in VS2008). As described above, however, I couldn't even get that far.

For now, though, I've managed to get VS2008 and Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0 installed and working correctly. Here's what I did:
    1. Re-sized the (bootable, system) partition on my hard disk (assigned drive letter C: by Windows XP Pro), adding 8GiByte or so of free disk space.
    2. Updated Windows XP Pro with all the available updates on Windows Update:
      • There had been an Office 2007 update that had repeatedly failed to install and which I'd hidden (as I only have Office 2003)... This turned out to be an update for the "Compatibility Pack for Office 2007 Office System" (which I did have installed). The freed-up disk space must have allowed this update to install correctly (and the lack of disk space must have been the reason it had previously failed).
      • Installed Service Pack 3 for Office 2003.
    3. Installed the most up-to-date version of SQL Server 2005 Express (which I'll be developing with) to its default location:
    4. Installed Visual Studio 2003 Professional Edition (full install plus the MSDN Documentation) to the default locations.
    5. Installed Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0 to the default location.
    6. Created/tested "V6 Interop UserControl" project in VS2008.
      • Built/tested within VB.NET
      • Added/tested within old school Visual Basic
    7. Re-booted.
    8. Tested again... Still working! Big Smile
    Well, I hope that helps someone else... In general, looks like you're best to keep lots of free space on your C: partition (as if we didn't know that already) even though there may well be plenty of space in the appropriate (NTFS junction) sub-directories which you are installing into.

Thanks tonnes,
    Stephen
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:55 PM

All replies

• Stephen@Infoplex,

When you install the InteropForms Toolkit 2.0 successfully, there should be Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0a in Add/Remove programs of the control panel. Except searching for the related Registry value and the log/temp files, you can check the installation in the following points:

1. "Generate InteropForms Wrapper Class" in your Visual Studio Tools menu. Or use hot key: Ctrl+Shift+G to call this Add-in Manager.

2. When creating a new VB project, whether there is VB6 InteropUserControl and VB6 InteropForm Library templates. The original file is in the location %\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008/2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Basic\Windows. If there is, you can try to create a template project for Interop purpose.

3. The simplest way: Please check the default location %\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0\Sample Applications. If you can open the project and run successfully, you have already the wrapper of the unmanaged project to Interop with .NET applications.

4. Please try to install the same MSI package on other test machine to check whether the installation is correct or not.

In addition, please take a look at the InteropForms Toolkit articles in VB Team Blog in the link below:

http://blogs.msdn.com/vbteam/archive/2008/03/05/interopforms-toolkit-visual-studio-2008-edition.aspx

Monday, April 21, 2008 9:25 AM
  • Hi Bruno,

Thanks for that... I'm afraid something starting 'Microsoft...' that included the term "InterOp" was the first thing I looked for in Add/Remove programs after the initial failed install. It wasn't there. Also, The VS2008 Tools menu did not have any '...Wrapper...' options added and the appropriate templates were not listed when creating new projects. The default location of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\ did not exist after running the installer, and therefore I could not open the sample projects... (as they were not on my computer).

As desribed, the only files that were successfully installed were:
    setup\BootstrapperPackageInstaller.dll
    setup\HelpRegistrationInstaller.dll
    setup\Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary.DLL
    ... Which were installed below "C:\Data\Data Drive\Programs\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0" (the installation directory I originally selected in the installer).

As described, the InterOp Toolkit had not been fully/properly installed. I therefore tried installing the Toolkit on another computer (which I managed to hijack for one day last week and which we may refer to here as computer2). There the InterOp Toolkit did install and work correctly, but note that computer2 had VS2005 previously installed on it (which I uninstalled immediately prior to installing VS2008 and (then) the InterOp Toolkit).

I then did the following (which may be useful to someone else in this situation):
    1. I copied all files and directories recursively from
      C:\Program File\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0\
      ... on computer2 (where VS2008 and Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0 were successfully installed) to ...
      C:\Data\Data Drive\Programs\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0\
      ... on myComputer (where VS2008 was successfully installed but where the Interop Forms Toolkit would not install).
    2. I then powered up the VS2008 Command Prompt on myComputer, cded to the C:\Data\Data Drive\Programs\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0\Addin directory and ran:
      DevEnv ResetAddIn Microsoft.InteropFormTools.InteropFormGenerator.Connect
    3. I then cded to the C:\Data\Data Drive\Programs\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0\SDK\Libraries directory and ran:
      GACUtil /i Microsoft.InteropFormTools.dll
    4. I then copied all the *.zip files from
      C:\Data\Data Drive\Programs\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0\SetUp
      ... to the following directory:
      C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Basic\Windows\
    This got me up and running. I could create new InterOp Forms projects, build them, and use them in old school Visual Basic. However, after re-booting my system, VS2008 crashed on launch. I have not yet resolved this (which is why I didn't post the above notes until now) and so I have currently un-installed VS2008.

Presently, I am re-sizing my C:\ drive. I'll then attempt to install both Visual Studio and the InterOp Toolkit into the default locations (without using an NTFS junction) and see if that resolves the issue.
    Monday, April 21, 2008 10:46 AM
  • That probably makes the most sense.   Note:   If you are going to be using VS 2008, you should check out this post...

http://blogs.msdn.com/vbteam/archive/2008/03/05/interopforms-toolkit-visual-studio-2008-edition.aspx

If you still get stuck, let me know and I can send you some info on how to manually install.

Toddap_MS

Monday, April 21, 2008 11:20 PM
  • Hi Toddap_MS,

Thanks for that. I did scan through that very article before I installed the Toolkit originally, but since I didn't have VS2005 installed side-by-side with VS2008, I thought I might be okay... And/or that the toolkit would at least install (even if it didn't show up properly in VS2008). As described above, however, I couldn't even get that far.

For now, though, I've managed to get VS2008 and Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0 installed and working correctly. Here's what I did:
    1. Re-sized the (bootable, system) partition on my hard disk (assigned drive letter C: by Windows XP Pro), adding 8GiByte or so of free disk space.
    2. Updated Windows XP Pro with all the available updates on Windows Update:
      • There had been an Office 2007 update that had repeatedly failed to install and which I'd hidden (as I only have Office 2003)... This turned out to be an update for the "Compatibility Pack for Office 2007 Office System" (which I did have installed). The freed-up disk space must have allowed this update to install correctly (and the lack of disk space must have been the reason it had previously failed).
      • Installed Service Pack 3 for Office 2003.
    3. Installed the most up-to-date version of SQL Server 2005 Express (which I'll be developing with) to its default location:
    4. Installed Visual Studio 2003 Professional Edition (full install plus the MSDN Documentation) to the default locations.
    5. Installed Microsoft Interop Forms Toolkit 2.0 to the default location.
    6. Created/tested "V6 Interop UserControl" project in VS2008.
      • Built/tested within VB.NET
      • Added/tested within old school Visual Basic
    7. Re-booted.
    8. Tested again... Still working! Big Smile
    Well, I hope that helps someone else... In general, looks like you're best to keep lots of free space on your C: partition (as if we didn't know that already) even though there may well be plenty of space in the appropriate (NTFS junction) sub-directories which you are installing into.

Thanks tonnes,
    Stephen
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Hi Toddap_MS

I read through this article you posted.

You say:

"There is a post build step that uses rc.exe to compile icon and manifest information into the assembly and the logic for this post build step does not work on VS 2008 due to a change in where they store rc.exe.   You can see the post build step logic by going to the compile properties tab/build events dialog."

Actually there is no "Post Build" step in the Interop template I just downloaded and installed. There is actually a Pre Build step, where there is a reference to RC.EXE. Does it matter that this is a Pre build step? I tested it as a Pre Build step except I added the path to my RC.exe, and all works fine and the control is registered and working.

Do I have to move the script from the Pre Build (original) to the Post build?

Also can you post a link to a modified InteropUserControl.vbproj that allows using the extra functions from VS2008, since there are a number of changes where version 3.5 is checked in a VS2008 template and I dont want to screw this up.

Thanks.

Bernard

Friday, April 25, 2008 2:53 AM