No output from Debug.WriteLine

Question

• Hi,

I must have changed something in VB. My Debug.WriteLine("What ever") statements no longer produce any output in the Output window.  The window is blank!  I would appreciate help in how to get Debug.WriteLine working once again, thanks.

Friday, June 02, 2006 2:14 PM

Answers

• Dont ask me why but

Console.writeline will show in the output windows in express

Debug.writeline will show in the immediate window in express.

So this is basically where you should be looking - its a setting in some of the pay versions that by default display the settings in the outputput window for debug - which you would purposely use a setting in Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> General which would all you to redirect all output to the immediate window for debugging

In the express version this item is not available in the IDE.

So hopefully you now know where to look.

Friday, June 02, 2006 5:15 PM

All replies

• I'd need to check in Express but in VSTS it is producing the output in the output window whether I use Debug.writeline or Console.writeline.

The dropdown at the top of this window show output from debug was set to Debug.

I'll double check with express when I get into work.    Is this a windows or console application that you trying to use this with - just so I can try and duplicate you scenario.

Friday, June 02, 2006 3:34 PM
  • Spotty,

Thanks for the help.  I'm having the problem in a windows application.  The Output window does have a dropdown list named "Show output from:."  The list includes Build and Debug.  When Build is selected a summary of the last build in displayed. When Debug is selected there is nothing displayed.  I have stepped through my code and I know that the Debug.WriteLine statements are being executed.

Friday, June 02, 2006 4:10 PM
  • Try Console.writeline and see if that writes to the output window.

Friday, June 02, 2006 4:14 PM
  • Dont ask me why but

Console.writeline will show in the output windows in express

Debug.writeline will show in the immediate window in express.

So this is basically where you should be looking - its a setting in some of the pay versions that by default display the settings in the outputput window for debug - which you would purposely use a setting in Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> General which would all you to redirect all output to the immediate window for debugging

In the express version this item is not available in the IDE.

So hopefully you now know where to look.

Friday, June 02, 2006 5:15 PM
  • Spotty,

Thanks, Debug.Writeline was lost and now it's found!

Friday, June 02, 2006 5:28 PM
  •  

what did you do to make debug.writeline() work again?

i know console.writeline() works fine, but i´d like use debug.writeline() as it is meant to be.

asiu

Friday, September 14, 2007 10:36 PM