Visual Basic Upgrade Wizard

Question

•  

I am upgrading a VB 6 project.  I get an error that only says Upgrade failed.  How do I find out what went wrong
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:18 PM

Answers

• Can you please tell us which version of Visual Basic you're using, is it 2003 or 2005?

I would suggest trying the command line version VBUpgrade.exe which will be in the Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio (Version)\VB\VBUpgrade directory, where (Version) is the version of VS you're using. 

This may give you a better error message.  You can also use the /Verbose command line switch for even more information.  There should also be a .log file in the output directory that may have a better error message.

Also does this happen for all VB6 projects or just the one?  If its just the one does the project compile with VB6 on the machine?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:20 PM
  •  

As John recommend, you could use VBUpgrade.exe to upgrade Vb6 project to Vb.net, and there will be a report after the upgrade is finished. You could have a look at the report to find the problem or there will the comments begin with 'UPGRADE_ISSUE: in the codes you upgraded which means there is a issue below. 
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:25 AM
  • Thanks alot.  the log file told me what I needed to know. I had half of the VB  .frm in the wrong directory and it didn't know where to find them.

Jerry

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:04 PM

All replies

• Can you please tell us which version of Visual Basic you're using, is it 2003 or 2005?

I would suggest trying the command line version VBUpgrade.exe which will be in the Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio (Version)\VB\VBUpgrade directory, where (Version) is the version of VS you're using. 

This may give you a better error message.  You can also use the /Verbose command line switch for even more information.  There should also be a .log file in the output directory that may have a better error message.

Also does this happen for all VB6 projects or just the one?  If its just the one does the project compile with VB6 on the machine?

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 8:20 PM
  •  

As John recommend, you could use VBUpgrade.exe to upgrade Vb6 project to Vb.net, and there will be a report after the upgrade is finished. You could have a look at the report to find the problem or there will the comments begin with 'UPGRADE_ISSUE: in the codes you upgraded which means there is a issue below. 
    Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:25 AM
  • Thanks alot.  the log file told me what I needed to know. I had half of the VB  .frm in the wrong directory and it didn't know where to find them.

Jerry

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:04 PM