Lumia 920 - After installing 8.1 Preview now get "no SIM"

Question

• I've had this phone since the 920 was introduced on AT&T and had every update through GDR3 prior to installing the update.  The install seemed to go fine, and in fact the phone worked afterwards (made outbound calls, etc...), but this afternoon I found the phone reporting "No SIM". I tried rebooting and soft reset, removing and re-inserting the SIM card, and eventually stopped by AT&T and they even cut me a new SIM but the phone will not read the SIM now. Feeling desperate, I decided to go ahead and attempt a hard reset, which wanted me to go through two factor auth (not ideal when you can't receive text messages), but afterwards the phone was still running 8.1 and it still shows "no SIM". I'm not sure what to do at this point.  While I suppose it is possible that somehow the phone developed a hardware issue after 1.5 years of working fine on the day I install an update, I think that is unlikely.  Suggestions?

thanks,

tony

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:50 AM

All replies

• The same thing happened to me on a Nokia 925 on T-Mobile.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:32 PM
  • It happen to me yesterday on my lumia 920 wp81., suddenly "no sim..." displayed in morning. Until now still not ok. I didnt try factory reset yet. Not sure if caused by wp8.1 or the hw problem.

Let me know if you solve your problem. Thanks,

Thursday, May 01, 2014 4:27 PM
  • I reinstalled the update and it worked fine after that.
    Thursday, May 01, 2014 6:54 PM
  • Howard, I'm having this issue also. Could you explain how to reinstall the update?
    Friday, May 02, 2014 12:58 AM
  • I shut down my phone (while it was unplugged).  I started it again.  I ran the app again and then told it to check for updates.  It then started downloading the 8.1 update, which took forever and required several restarts.  After the dust settled it found my SIM and things have been working ever since.  Was this a coincidence or a repeatable fix?  I can't answer that, but it's working now.
    Friday, May 02, 2014 1:57 AM