none
HELP PLEASE: Where is Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll?

Question

• Where is Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll?

Its' not on my B2 system, though the other two are.
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50215\Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50215\Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll

... No
    ProcessingObjectModel.dll here

It does show in the GAC,  and it d/n show in the list of avaialble .NET assemblies to ref.

Is this error related to the above issue?
    "Processing Errors" "Failed to load exressions host assembly.  Details: Could not load file or assempbl 'expression_host_601.....' version=10.2.50215.44, culture=nutral,...  Failed to grant permission to execute. (Exception from HResult:0x80131418)

I  need help.

Friday, September 23, 2005 4:44 AM

Answers

• You can find ReportViewer.exe at the following location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\ReportViewer\ReportViewer.exe

after you run ReportViewer.exe, the file will copied to the Global Assembly Cache folder on the deployment computer

for more see this:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251723.aspx
    Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:04 AM

All replies

• You can find ReportViewer.exe at the following location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\ReportViewer\ReportViewer.exe

after you run ReportViewer.exe, the file will copied to the Global Assembly Cache folder on the deployment computer

for more see this:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms251723.aspx
    Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:04 AM
  • by the way.to get the files in the Global Assembly Cache folder ,you can use this "Subst b: %windir%\assembly"
    Wednesday, November 30, 2005 1:32 AM
  • Hello... I had the same problem, and I couldn't find this file... but your post was a great help... thank you so much.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2006 4:54 PM
  • Use it in what way? My.computer.filesystem.fileexists()??

Rick

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 5:19 PM
  • you can go, to the following directory, C:\WINDOWS\assembly and if you have installed everything properly the file will be there, once you've found the file, copy it to your /bin folder where your application is located.
    Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:09 AM
  • I have recently discovered that i have the same need.

My ISP says that I need

Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll

I ran the reportviewer.exe and found

Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel, but not the dll.

I was also told that I needed to use CMD to copy the dll, not use Windows Explorer.

Can someone direct me if I am missing anything?  Nothing seems to be wrong on my PC, but the reports need it on the ISP.

Thank you!

Saturday, April 22, 2006 4:00 PM
  • If Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel is found in the GAC, Report Viewer should be able to run.  You do not need an additional copy of the DLL on the machine.

Thanks,

Albert

Monday, April 24, 2006 8:48 PM
  • If you download the Report Viewer Redistributable you can use a tool like WinZip to extract the Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll.  First, you need to extract the MSI.exe to a folder.  Located in that folder you will find reportv1.cab which also needs to be extracted.  Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll is located in this cab but has to be renamed.

See my blog post for a complete step by step write up: http://drowningintechnicaldebt.com/blogs/dennisbottjer/archive/2006/10/16/Hacking-Report-Viewer-Redistributable.aspx

Hope this helps,

Dennis

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:50 AM
  • I executed reportviewer.exe in my isp,and Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel is found in the GAC,but my website is still wrong ,what's the reason

please help me

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 3:45 AM
  • I had the same problem.

I had the microsoft.reportviewer.winforms.dll plus the common and webforms dll's but didn't have an accessible copy of the processingobjectmodel dll, which IS on your local machine you just can't see it.

to get the last one - microsoft.reportviewer.processingobjectmodel.dll you have to go to the GAC directory through the dos prompt, you can't get at it through the windows file access system.

c:\windows\assembly\gac_msil\microsoft.reportviewer.processingobjectmodel\ should get you started.

drill down using dir/w through the next subdirectory (there's a big directory name using the assembly key), until you get to the processingobjectmodel dll.  copy it out using the dos copy command and then copy it over to your bin directory on the server and should work fine.  mine did anyways.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 6:56 AM
  • Dennis Bottjer, your hack is exactly what I needed.  Thank you!

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 10:07 PM
  • I found the Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll in the location you said but I can't copy it using DOS command copy; copy command returns the message "Access is Denied" hope you help.

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:16 AM
  • Copying via DOS from the GAC makes it work for me too. Thanks to whoever suggested that. But WHY is it so complicated and convoluted???? And for such an important piece of functionality as generating reports...
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 1:24 AM
  • Thank you so much for the advice!
    Why is this file so special Microsoft has to hide it from Windows Explorer?? Even "show hidden files" and searching won't find it... What gives?
    This is an idiotic decision on Microsoft's part, I'm surprised it's not a bigger problem.
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:52 PM
  • Not really that idiotic, do you really think everyone should see files in the GAC and tool around with them?  I'd prefer it if when my customers got an error message they just call the help desk instead of messing up the GAC then calling the help desk and saying "SO I got this message about some file needing to be in the g a c and I went in there and started deleting and moving stuff....."  It's not meant for the end user to know the existence of.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 3:44 PM
  • Hi,
    I had the same issue, and I could solve it by installing the Report viewer 2005. Om my computer I have both report viewer 2005 and 2008 installed, and the project was created using the dll from v8.x used by report viewer 2005. When installing double check that you use the correct version of report viewer. Both can be installed side by side.

2005 version can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8a166cac-758d-45c8-b637-dd7726e61367&displaylang=en

2008 version can be downloaded here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=cc96c246-61e5-4d9e-bb5f-416d75a1b9ef

.. as written above you can double check that all DLL:s are in the folder C:\WINDOWS\assembly

BR,
    Magnus D
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Thank you, Morgan!  I was finally able to find the dll using dir /w.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:06 PM
  • How to copy Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll

First of all click on it to download Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CC96C246-61E5-4D9E-BB5F-416D75A1B9EF&displaylang=en

1.                   Then open dos command prompt

2.                   Type “Cd windows\assembly\gac_msil\Microsoft.ReportViewer.pro*” and press enter

3.                   List the directory (type dir and  press enter)

4.                   You will see the two versions 8 and 9

5.                   Just type cd 9*

6.                   Then type copy * c:\

file will be copied in you root directory of C drive

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:42 AM
  • You cannot find this DLL on windows explorer, you need to copy using DOS prompt, try to do this:

- Open MS-DOS prompt (Menu Start > Run > type "cmd"without quotes and press OK)

-  type thew following command then press ENTER:

cd C:\WINDOWS\ASSEMBLY\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel

- type "dir" without quotes and see the name of the next directory, in my case is 9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a, so I'll type the following:

cd 9.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a

-now you are in the directory that has the DLL, lets make a copy into C:/ root folder, type the following command:

copy Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll C:\

ITS DONE!

Now you have to go to the C:/ and find your DLL called Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll

Friday, September 10, 2010 7:41 PM
  • Just wanted to say thanks for the help on copying the dll out of the GAC.  I was needing to deploy a website that uses the ReportViewer, but installing the ReportViewer exe on the server was not an option.  Copying all 3 dll's into the website /bin folder got it running for me...
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:51 AM
  • Thanks for this post...solved my issue!
    • Proposed as answer by endyk Wednesday, February 02, 2011 12:39 AM
    Thursday, January 06, 2011 4:20 PM
  • Also check this out:

http://www.wpconfig.com/2009/05/31/quickest-way-to-copy-files-from-gac/

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 12:40 AM
  • WOW Works great!!!!!Like a charm. No need to run reportviewer.exe on user's computer.
    • Proposed as answer by Uddhav Garkal Saturday, February 26, 2011 10:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Uddhav Garkal Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:17 AM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:20 PM
  • thaks it is very usefull for me

Saturday, May 14, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Monday, July 18, 2011 1:42 PM
  •  

this is what i also get please help

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 7:27 AM
  • Check out this link which talks about copying the DLL from GAC:

http://am22tech.com/s/22/FORUM1/default.aspx?g=posts&m=804

Saturday, October 08, 2011 10:08 AM
  • just setup this Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CC96C246-61E5-4D9E-BB5F-416D75A1B9EF&displaylang=en

at your server

• Edited by AmmatAllah Sunday, December 25, 2011 11:43 AM
    Sunday, December 25, 2011 11:43 AM
  • Thanks Dennis! That solved my issue!

Just an update for Visual Studio 2010 and ReportViewer 2010:

Use reportviewer_redist2010core.cab instead of reportv1.cab.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:32 AM
  • Hi, I hope that you get this message.  I have been desperately trying to get the Report Viewer tool in my toolbox.  I have successfully pulled the dll files into my project as you have described above, but the tool is not in the toolbox.  I have downloaded so many of the ReportViewer.exe files in hopes that they would add the tool to my Visual Studio Express 2012, but it has not worked.  What do I have to do to get the report viewer into my toolbox?
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:45 AM