none
Import Account & Contact

Question

•  

Hi,

I wondered how can i import accounts & contacts files

& make the conection between them,

so that the account will include primary contact & that all contacts will be conected to accounts.

thanks,

Si

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Si

There is an easy answer to this and it's to use the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Data Migration Manager.  You will have to create separate CSV files containing the Account and Contact information and also in each file create ID fields which relate Contacts to a specific Account and also a field which relates an Account's Primary Contact to a specific Contact record.

I've done this once before a few months ago and it can be a lengthy process especially if you have a lot of records to import.  One little piece of advice I would give you is to add an extra column at the end of your two CSV files and fill them will lower case letter O's.  These can be used as end of record markers which are invaluable when finally trying to import data as you will no doubt run in to issues when the import starts.

Hope that gives you a head start.

Regards,

Douglas

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Hi

There is an easier way you can use.

1- Add to the contact csv file a column named "Account Name" where you write the corresponding Account for each Contact.

2- Import the Accounts with the Import tool of CRM (Tools--> Import Data...)

3- Import the Contacts --> the link is made

Good luck!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Si

There is an easy answer to this and it's to use the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Data Migration Manager.  You will have to create separate CSV files containing the Account and Contact information and also in each file create ID fields which relate Contacts to a specific Account and also a field which relates an Account's Primary Contact to a specific Contact record.

I've done this once before a few months ago and it can be a lengthy process especially if you have a lot of records to import.  One little piece of advice I would give you is to add an extra column at the end of your two CSV files and fill them will lower case letter O's.  These can be used as end of record markers which are invaluable when finally trying to import data as you will no doubt run in to issues when the import starts.

Hope that gives you a head start.

Regards,

Douglas

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:38 PM
  • Hi

There is an easier way you can use.

1- Add to the contact csv file a column named "Account Name" where you write the corresponding Account for each Contact.

2- Import the Accounts with the Import tool of CRM (Tools--> Import Data...)

3- Import the Contacts --> the link is made

Good luck!

Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:38 AM
  • The above is the approach I would take as well but with one possible addition.  YOu may want to add a Primary Contact field to the Account file and be sure not to import duplicate Contacts when you run the Contact import.

Best Regards,

Thursday, September 18, 2008 2:34 PM
    Owner
  • 1- In order to have the Primary Contact, you'll have to add a column in the Account csv file called Primary Contact and write the name of the Primary Contact (but it has to be the same as the one in the Contacts csv file)

2- As for the duplicate records, once you begin specifying the configuration of the Import task, there's a place where you can specify if you want to import duplicate data or not.

Good Luck!

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:11 AM
  • Does this mean that we manually add the primary contact  (name of the cotact in the Primary Contact field) in account.csv file?

Would it be possible and simpler to with Data Migration Manager?

regards
    CV

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Does this mean that we manually add the primary contact  (name of the cotact in the Primary Contact field) in account.csv file?

Would it be possible and simpler to with Data Migration Manager?

regards
    CV

Still I don't get this pazzle- Which one should be imported first for new data? Accounts or Contacts?
    If you import Account first , there is no existing contacts to select the Primary contact from - So the import will fail.
    If you import Contacts first there is no Client(Parent Companies) yet to link the clients to.
    This tells me that I have to do the import in 3 stages- First Contacts with no Parent Customer, then Clients with Primary Contact, and then another import of Contacts or Account to link the parent company.
    Is there a simpler way such as using multiple files Contacts and Customers together to import Customer and Contacts together?
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 4:10 PM