HELP. Problem with extensions after installing 2011 Beta

Question

• I was happy with VS 2011 Beta until this morning. I have a LightSwitch Extensions Package I am developing and using in our company's applications.

After installing VS2011 Beta one of the first things I tried, as I plan to publish a new version, was to see if my package installs in VS2011. Which it did.

Today I started making some final changes (in VS 2010) and additions to my package to prepare it for publishing. After the changes, as always, I uninstalled the package and tried to install the new version. I started to sweat when the installer informed me that (although removed) my package was installed to all available products. I removed also from 2011 hoping that this would resolve the issue. In vain though. I could not install my package no matter what I did. Then I though of changing the version from 1.1 to 2.0 (which is OK as it's reflecting the additions and changes made) hoping that this would solve the problem. Double clicking on vsix I was really glad to see the dialog with VS 2010 selected ready to install. But when I hit OK package installer crashes and fails to install. Also the icon in the taskbar is the icon from VS2011 so I guess it's the 2011 installer that tries to run and fails.

I am in the verge of dispair. I though of unistalling 2011 Beta but the way 2010 and 2011 are conflicting on this extension issue makes me fear it's going to end up in a worse nightmare than the one I am having right now.

I don't know if the LS Team or the VS Team can halp me but someone SHOULD.

1+1 = 3 for large values of 1

Friday, March 02, 2012 9:26 AM

Answers

• Thank God I found a solution. I changed the file association for Vsix extension from Visual Studio Version Selector to vsixInstaller of VS 2010 and it worked. I don't know I really don't care right now if this will cause any problems with installing packages in BETA but I hope this is solved in the final release. I hope my hour of horror saves other LS users the pain.

Friday, March 02, 2012 9:40 AM

All replies

• Thank God I found a solution. I changed the file association for Vsix extension from Visual Studio Version Selector to vsixInstaller of VS 2010 and it worked. I don't know I really don't care right now if this will cause any problems with installing packages in BETA but I hope this is solved in the final release. I hope my hour of horror saves other LS users the pain.

Friday, March 02, 2012 9:40 AM
  • Hi Kostas,

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you.  We're going to investigate this issue to see if there is a VS 11 bug here that needs to be addressed.

Regards,
    Aaron

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronmar

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:00 AM
  • It probably will, thanks Kostas.

E tenebris lux. ±

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 1:18 AM
  • Thank God I found a solution. I changed the file association for Vsix extension from Visual Studio Version Selector to vsixInstaller of VS 2010

Kostas,

What is the name (and location?) of the file that is the "vsixInstaller of VS 2010" ?

Thanks!

Make Them Ask: That's a LightSwitch App?

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:05 AM
  • Ok I found it at:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe

(and yes it fixes the problem)

Make Them Ask: That's a LightSwitch App?

http://LightSwitchHelpWebsite.com

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 5:40 AM
  • So it was not just me. Since the extension library I uninstalled and tried to install back was mine, I thought that it could be something I was doing wrong regarding supported products and stuff like that. I am glad my trouble saved other people time.

@Aaron: if you need any more info like the configuration of the package or anything else, feel free to ask.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Good to know. Also the complete approach choosing between installers is very usefull.

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:38 PM