Microsoft HTML Help Compiler error.

Question

• I am getting an error from the HTML help Compiler.

Microsoft HTML Help Compiler has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error:  AppName:hhc.exe  AppVer: 4.74.8702.0  ModName: ntdll.dll   ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180  Offset: 0002ae22

We purchased a product called Geckoware SQL Scribe Documentation Builder.  This tool uses the HTML Help Compiler to document SQL Server databases.  Most of the time it works well, but on some servers it does not work.  It seems to build the documents to create the help file but when it calls hhc.exe, it fails.  It almost seem like this is an error created by incompatible versions of hhc.exe and ntdll.dll.  It could also be a problem with the software or the code on the SQL Server (we have some very complex processes).  The error that I receive is not very helpful.

Does anyone know how to resolve this error or how I can get more information about it?

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 6:51 PM

All replies

• Hello Stephen,

to make sure you are getting the error from the HTMLHelp Compiler you'd try to find a *.HHP file on your system and compile this file from the command line. You'd search for a "*.log" file on your system too.

The required compile command is:

Code Snippet
    hhc foobar.hhp

You must specify the relative or absolute path to the .hhp file if compiling from a folder other than the one that contains this file. And you'll need to ensure that the HTML Help Workshop program folder is in the path, as that's where hhc.exe resides.

Try to send the console output to a log.txt file by following command or search for a file like "*.log" or "*.txt"
    Code Snippet
    D:\Program Files\HTML Help Workshop>hhc H:\labs\foobar.hhp > log.txt

Have a look at the resulting log.txt ..

Don't hesitate posting again here or at:
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.helpauthoring
    Only additional information for having a corrupted file (be carefully!):
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ntdll

HTH

Best regards

Ulrich Kulle

www.help-info.de

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:56 AM