none
SharePoint 2007 Records Center Question-Routing List

Question

• I have created a separate site collection using the records center template.  I have followed the directions for creating the link between the records center and the rest of the farm.  The “send to” records center feature was tested using the default unclassified records library.  The document and all the metadata arrived in the library as expected. 

Then I created a new library with the content types name.  I added an entry in the routing list with the same name for the record routing title and location.  This has failed to copy the document or metadata into the required library.  All I have gotten is the “The records center is not properly configured for this request” error. 

It was suggested to turn the verbose setting on for the SharePoint logs to help find the problem.  The log shows a few records center entries.  It appears the new holdingzone object is created.  Then it initializes the edit list role and finds the edit list role by id.  The next step gives details about the holdingzone object being created.  Then it says it is adding the file to the records center.  This includes some of the properties like recordrouting and file length.  The next step says the holdingzone object has been disposed.  The final line repeats the event viewer’s error message-not properly configured for this request.

The default unclassified routing still works which leads me to believe the problem is somewhere in the record routing list.  The same file goes to the unclassified library as soon as I remove the record routing entry.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thank you, Jim Mc Fadden SharePoint Administrator, Swift Energy

Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:48 PM

Answers

• Jim,

Make sure that the user from whose account you are sending the file is a member of the Records Center Submitters group in the records center site.  The document library you create in the records center can be any name.  It does not have to match the name of the content type of the file.  That way, you can route many types of documents to the same library using a single routing table entry.  Just add the content type names to the "Aliases" field of the record routing entry.

John

John Holliday, MVP Office SharePoint Server
    • Marked as answer by jmcfadden Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:39 PM
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 12:45 AM

All replies

• Jim,

Make sure that the user from whose account you are sending the file is a member of the Records Center Submitters group in the records center site.  The document library you create in the records center can be any name.  It does not have to match the name of the content type of the file.  That way, you can route many types of documents to the same library using a single routing table entry.  Just add the content type names to the "Aliases" field of the record routing entry.

John

John Holliday, MVP Office SharePoint Server
    • Marked as answer by jmcfadden Tuesday, May 05, 2009 3:39 PM
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Thank you for the reply but I have another question.  Doesn't the routing use the default service account instead of the user account?  I made all of the service accounts members of the submitters group.  The two people who have tried sending the records are also members of the site collection administrators group for both site collections.

It is finally working in our production environment.  I don’t understand why since we made no changes from the last time we tried it a few months ago.  It still isn’t working in our test environment but I can just recreate that one anyway.  The only difference between the two that I know of is our test environment has been upgraded to SharePoint SP2.  Thank you for your help.  Jim

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Hi,
    I have also had a similar problem adter installing SP2 on our SharePoint environment, test and Prod.
    I have an extensive set of contenttypes, routed to multiple libraries in the record center. It has been working fine for 10 months.
    New content types and libraries added after the application of SP 2 will not route to the record center. However, all of the content types and libraries configured before SP still route to the Rc fine.

There are no application alerts generated in the system event viewer. The only error given is in the send to record center results screen,
    "An Error occurred while sending the file to the Record Center Records Center."

I have another test instance of MOSS on a VM the does not have SP2 on it. I tried all of my content type configurations on it first. They all went to the record center successfully.

Are there any type of logging or troubleshooting tools that can help find out what is actually happening in the RC when this "Send to record center" action fails? So far I have not been abale to find any clues as to why it won't work.
    Thanks,

I accidentally promoted this post as an answer
    • Proposed as answer by Robicurp Friday, September 04, 2009 10:06 PM
    • Edited by Robicurp Friday, September 04, 2009 10:11 PM
    Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:06 PM
  • Hi,
    I have also had a similar problem adter installing SP2 on our SharePoint environment, test and Prod.
    I have an extensive set of contenttypes, routed to multiple libraries in the record center. It has been working fine for 10 months.
    New content types and libraries added after the application of SP 2 will not route to the record center. However, all of the content types and libraries configured before SP still route to the Rc fine.

There are no application alerts generated in the system event viewer. The only error given is in the send to record center results screen,
    "An Error occurred while sending the file to the Record Center Records Center."

I have another test instance of MOSS on a VM the does not have SP2 on it. I tried all of my content type configurations on it first. They all went to the record center successfully.

Are there any type of logging or troubleshooting tools that can help find out what is actually happening in the RC when this "Send to record center" action fails? So far I have not been abale to find any clues as to why it won't work.
    Thanks,
    Update on this problem:

I created the Doc libraries and routing rules in the record center before SP2 was installed on the system.

The System admin applied SP2 Before I installed the Content types (as a feture), and set them up in the record center libraries.

Site columns and content types were identical in the portal and the record center site collections since they were all installed via the same feature.

Through a process of elimination I narrowed it down to a problem with the routing rules. They looked exactly right, but I deleted then and recreated them with exactly the same names and they started working.

The only thing I can thing I can think of is the SP2 install corrupted them somehow. The recreated routing rules are now working fine with SP2.

• Proposed as answer by Robicurp Friday, September 04, 2009 10:10 PM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 10:10 PM