none
AuthenticationRequired=false causes "The attempt to access the directory service of the DSS runtime was failed"

    Question

  • Hi,

    I've been experiencing well described problem with browser authentication (doing simple MVPL app on LEGO Mindstorms NXT) and decided to disable authentication requirement by putting SecuritySettings.xml file into Store folder of MRDS 4. Browser no longer requests for credentials but DSS node trace/log shows "The attempt to access the directory service of the DSS runtime was failed" instead, and no message is presented.

    Is there any solution to let the DSS node show messages and the browser do not ask for login credentials?

    Thanks in advance for any help,

    P.

    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:15 PM

Answers

  • Hi Jay,

    Sorry for a delay in replying - I was having some vacation ;-).

    Yes - the problem persists with any browser, including Internet Explorer (9.0.9).

    Actually the problem has ... gone for no reason (DSS node starts OK just putting into a log list the message that it runs without security). As I'm using MRDS on laptop PC, it is possible that this problem appears for some partiular network configuration but cannot identify 100% the exact configuration to be absolutelly sure at the moment. It doesn't seems clear because i.e. restarting PC causes the problem to appear then few restarts cause it to disappear again and so on - it seems to be random.

    Let me investigate a little more and I'll notify you on the results.

    Answering your previous message in depth - the original installation folder was lack of SecuritySettings.xml file, so I put one with the following contents:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
     <SecuritySettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/robotics/2008/02/security.html">
       <AuthenticationRequired>false</AuthenticationRequired>
       <OnlySignedAssemblies>false</OnlySignedAssemblies>
       <Users />
     </SecuritySettings>

    Switching <AuthenticationRequired>false</AuthenticationRequired> to  <AuthenticationRequired>true</AuthenticationRequired> causes randomly the issue as submited at the beginning.

    Regards,

    P.

    Monday, September 03, 2012 2:29 PM

All replies

  • One approach would be to use IE or Chrome which will auto-authenticate.  Firefox does not support the 'NTLM' authentication protocol which may be the issue.

    I've seen similar 'attempt to access' issues when there are two DSS Nodes and one has authentication enabled but the other does not.  However from your description that doesn't seem to be the case.

    Can you post detail on the change you made to SecuritySettings.xml?  Can you post instructions on how to reproduce the problem in a simple case, say using the 'ReferencePlatform2011' sample?  If I can reproduce your error, I can try and figure out what's exactly going on.

    Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I was just hitting a similar issue when debugging another user's issue.  It's definitely not expected that if you are using IE you should need to authenticate to a DSS web page.  Perhaps NTLM auth has somehow been turned off when running under VPLHost32.

    Can you confirm for me that you reproduce the problem when using IE?  If so, I'll file a bug.

    Monday, August 27, 2012 7:40 PM
  • Hi Jay,

    Sorry for a delay in replying - I was having some vacation ;-).

    Yes - the problem persists with any browser, including Internet Explorer (9.0.9).

    Actually the problem has ... gone for no reason (DSS node starts OK just putting into a log list the message that it runs without security). As I'm using MRDS on laptop PC, it is possible that this problem appears for some partiular network configuration but cannot identify 100% the exact configuration to be absolutelly sure at the moment. It doesn't seems clear because i.e. restarting PC causes the problem to appear then few restarts cause it to disappear again and so on - it seems to be random.

    Let me investigate a little more and I'll notify you on the results.

    Answering your previous message in depth - the original installation folder was lack of SecuritySettings.xml file, so I put one with the following contents:

    <?xml version="1.0"?>
     <SecuritySettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/robotics/2008/02/security.html">
       <AuthenticationRequired>false</AuthenticationRequired>
       <OnlySignedAssemblies>false</OnlySignedAssemblies>
       <Users />
     </SecuritySettings>

    Switching <AuthenticationRequired>false</AuthenticationRequired> to  <AuthenticationRequired>true</AuthenticationRequired> causes randomly the issue as submited at the beginning.

    Regards,

    P.

    Monday, September 03, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Hmm, perhaps you are switching between networks and the networks are set up with different security settings (home, public, work).  This changes which firewall rules are turned on and off.  This could be why you get different connection successes & failures at different times,
    Monday, September 03, 2012 4:01 PM
  • If you can better isolate the problem, plese let us know.  For now I will close this thread.
    pelase open a new thread (and reference this one) if you do need more help (answered threads do not get looked at as readily)

    -G

    Friday, September 14, 2012 10:29 PM