App Won't Run On Another Computer?

Question

• I've never had a problem running my applications on other computers but all of a sudden I can't get my one program to work. I've made my own DLL, and I have it copied local to my folder and my applications loads the DLL locally. But when I move the resource folder to another computer it won't run. I get "This application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."
    Tuesday, November 06, 2007 4:42 PM

Answers

• I was able to run a VS C++ Express program on another computer - Win XP. By doing the following:

1. Install VS C++ Express on the new system. Uncheck the IDE installation option. This installs the runtimes required for VS C++ Express on the computer along with the command line compilers. This is a 68MB download. Quite a bit smaller than the complete install with the IDE.
    2. Install the SP1 update for C++. This is also required. vs80sp1-kb926748-x86-intl.exe from this page. Visual Studio Express Download Page - 44MB Download.
    The program will then run. I can't find any other formula to get it going. The (dot)Net framework 2.0 and the VS C++ Redistributables are not enough to run the programs. Perhaps this is by design.

My dev system was Vista x64 and on Win XP the program looks very different. Shading of buttons in tab controls is different and the font size of tab controls cannot be set. Also the background of windows is gray rather than white. So if you have an unusual GUI design, you may find it does not look the same between versions of the OS even when you install these runtimes.

Enjoy, 

ww

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 8:09 PM

All replies

• Tuesday, November 06, 2007 6:49 PM
  • This is not enough.
    • built a project for Windows forms, VC++ using Visual Express 2005.
    • installed the (dot)net redist for the 2.0 framework, and
    • install additional redist you indicate in previous post. Using the XCOPY method and using vcredist_x86.exe.
    and the program still gives me the dialog box indicating that the configuration is not correct.

What else are we missing?

The code doesn't even do anything. At this point there is only the interface and code created by the forms designer.

Thanks, windy

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 7:26 PM
  • I was able to run a VS C++ Express program on another computer - Win XP. By doing the following:

1. Install VS C++ Express on the new system. Uncheck the IDE installation option. This installs the runtimes required for VS C++ Express on the computer along with the command line compilers. This is a 68MB download. Quite a bit smaller than the complete install with the IDE.
    2. Install the SP1 update for C++. This is also required. vs80sp1-kb926748-x86-intl.exe from this page. Visual Studio Express Download Page - 44MB Download.
    The program will then run. I can't find any other formula to get it going. The (dot)Net framework 2.0 and the VS C++ Redistributables are not enough to run the programs. Perhaps this is by design.

My dev system was Vista x64 and on Win XP the program looks very different. Shading of buttons in tab controls is different and the font size of tab controls cannot be set. Also the background of windows is gray rather than white. So if you have an unusual GUI design, you may find it does not look the same between versions of the OS even when you install these runtimes.

Enjoy, 

ww

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 8:09 PM
  • Thanks windyweather, it worked. Seems kinda of ridiculous though that I have to get every other computer I want to put this program on to install Visual C++ Express and SP1.

Is there a simpler way?
    Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:58 PM
  •  Fase wrote:

Is there a simpler way?

I suspect that this is by design. I have noticed that file formats are often changed when it comes to other "Personal Learning Editions" probably as a defense against organizations that want to have their engineers / artists use "Personal Learning" seats to do commercial development. This applies to Graphics software as well as Software Development environments.

I think you will find that a csproj file created by the licensed version of Visual Studio will not open in VS Express, and vice versa. Although I can see no way to prevent the source of the program to be used. I suspect that this inability to run the exe without installing express is part of the same licensing strategy. After all if we could actually build shareware [ not products, just shareware] that would run on standard Windows Systems, then there would be less incentive to purchase MSDN licenses for large amounts of money.

- windy
    Friday, November 09, 2007 11:17 PM