Visual Studio 2010 32 vs 64 bit

Question

• Yesterday I posted a question on another board regarding SQL Server 2008 32 vs 64 bit. This question however is for Visual Studio 2010 development of asp.net applications.

We will be developing asp.net applications using visual studio 2010 and SQL 2008R2.

We will be purchasing a workstation(Windows 7 pro) for development that will have VS 2010 and SQL 2008R2 installed. We will also purchase a production(live) server for the web server and sql 2008R2. We do not know yet if the workstation and server will both be 32/64bit or if one will be 32 and the other 64bit.

So I know what my options are:

1. If Workstation is 32 bit and server is 64 bit, can I develop VS 2010 asp.net/sql based websites to work on the 64bit server?

2. If the workstation is 64bit and the server is 32bit, can I develop the applications to work on the 32 bit server? From what I have researched, I think this would work. Please confirm.

Friday, August 13, 2010 4:47 PM

Answers

• By default, an asp.net application is built as AnyCPU which can be deployed to both 32bit and 64bit OS, regardless the bitness of development machine.

If workstation is 32bit and server is 64bit, we can set the Platform Target of the web application to AnyCPU, the web applicaiton will work on 64bit server in a 64bit w3wp.exe process;

If the workstation is 64bit and server is 32bit, we can also set the  Platform Target of the web application to AnyCPU, the web applicaiton will work on 64bit server in a 32bit w3wp.exe process;

For more details about the difference of AnyCPU, x86 and x64, you may refer to this post.

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by soccerfan Monday, August 16, 2010 3:20 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:07 AM

All replies

• By default, an asp.net application is built as AnyCPU which can be deployed to both 32bit and 64bit OS, regardless the bitness of development machine.

If workstation is 32bit and server is 64bit, we can set the Platform Target of the web application to AnyCPU, the web applicaiton will work on 64bit server in a 64bit w3wp.exe process;

If the workstation is 64bit and server is 32bit, we can also set the  Platform Target of the web application to AnyCPU, the web applicaiton will work on 64bit server in a 32bit w3wp.exe process;

For more details about the difference of AnyCPU, x86 and x64, you may refer to this post.

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by soccerfan Monday, August 16, 2010 3:20 PM
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:07 AM
  • This is exactly what I was looking for , thank you.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 3:20 PM