A certificate is required to complete client authentication (0x80072F0C)

Question

• I am running vss 2005 with vs 2008. I am using the sourcesafe internet plugin and using SSL. The goverment requires that web services that are exposed to the internet must require client certificate. I have a smart card with my cert on it. I can get to the vss web service using IE client fine. IE prompts me for my cac card and then I select my certificate and enter my pin, I see the web service description (this is good).

When I try to open the vss web service resource using visual studios 2008 I get the error:A certificate is required to complete client authentication (0x80072F0C). The problem is that I'm not being prompted for credentials. Is there a fix for this problem or am I out of luck?

Saturday, April 03, 2010 12:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Leejeffr,

I suspect this issue may be caused by wrong configuration of VSS for Internet access. Please refer to the following article written by Alin Constantin, and check whether you have configured VSS for Internet access correctly:

Installing and configuring Microsoft Visual SourceSafe for Internet (Remote) access

Please let me know the result.

Best Regards,

Nancy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, April 05, 2010 6:08 AM
  • Nancy,

I follewed Alin Constantin article in order to get it working initially. I think you miss understood my problem. Let me restate the problem.

I can use vs 2008 to access the vss 2005 web service when the IIS server hosting the web serivce reads "Ignore Client Certificates" under the directory security tab under "Secure Communications" after pushing the "Edit" button.  If I change this setting to "Require Client Certificate" vs 2008 fails to authenticate to the web service because it does'nt prompt me for my certificate or pin.

This issue may be more related to the integration between the vs 2005 internet pluggin and vs 2008. It seems that the vs 2005 internet plugin doesn't support client certificate authenticaiton.

Monday, April 05, 2010 5:54 PM