The program can't start because <app>.exe is missing from your computer

Question

• VS2008. There is a MFC-program "APP.exe" (with sources). When I rename her in "APP1.exe" and run, I get message:

The program can't start because APP.exe is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem
    Why?
    Friday, November 23, 2012 1:26 PM

Answers

• OK. I rename old project folder. I create the Win32-project. Then I copy required source files and resource file (*.cpp, *.h, *.rc) to project folder and rebuild it again.

Now next error:

1>c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(24) : fatal error C1189: #error :  Building MFC application with /MD[d] (CRT dll version) requires MFC shared dll version. Please #define _AFXDLL or do not use /MD[d]

In Project Settings->Configuration Properties->Use of MFC, make sure that  "Using MFC in a Shared DLL" is specified for both debug and release version.

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:55 PM

All replies

• Rename her ?  See a simple thing is create a new win32 application with new name and then copy your required source file and resource file to your project and rebuild it again and it will work fine .

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Friday, November 23, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Hi Serge,

Do you change the application name and then press “ctrl + F5”?

You can try Pintu’s suggestion. And I think we cannot go further for so little information about your issue.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Elegentin Xie [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:15 AM
  • Check whether value of Properties-> Debugging->Command is $(TargetPath).

Thanks, Renjith V R

Monday, November 26, 2012 12:37 PM
  • OK. I rename old project folder. I create the Win32-project. Then I copy required source files and resource file (*.cpp, *.h, *.rc) to project folder and rebuild it again.

Now next error:

1>c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 9.0\vc\atlmfc\include\afx.h(24) : fatal error C1189: #error :  Building MFC application with /MD[d] (CRT dll version) requires MFC shared dll version. Please #define _AFXDLL or do not use /MD[d]

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:58 AM
  • Yes, value of Properties-> Debugging->Command is $(TargetPath).
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:59 AM

Now next error:

In Project Settings->Configuration Properties->Use of MFC, make sure that  "Using MFC in a Shared DLL" is specified for both debug and release version.

Thanks

Rupesh Shukla

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 3:55 PM