none
How to go from "Hacker's Guide to Visual FoxPro 7.0" to VFP9

Question

• I have dabbled in VFP9 and developed some apps for myself, but now, I finally have found the time to start educating myself, and I have heeded the advice of many to read "Hacker's Guide to Visual FoxPro 7.0". What a gem!

While I am still in the middle of reading the book (electronically, and not the Refernce section from start to end :-), I wonder about the next step, namely how to go from learning the basics, and the particulars up to VFP7, to using VPF9. How do you best learn what has happened in VFP8 and VFP9?

One way to go is to buy and read "What's New in Visual FoxPro 8.0" and "What's New In Nine: Visual FoxPro's Latest Hits", but this is somewhat expensive and also time-consuming.

Perhaps a better way would be to simply find a description by Microsoft about the updates/upgrades in VFP8 and read the VFP 9 Help file about the same thing.

Or perhaps there are some other places to read reviews about the updates/upgrades. Any tip on this issue, and possible links, would be welcome.

An aside: Does Universal Thread have forums anymore? On the Home page, I can find nothing. They seem to have started publishing again (whatever happened?), but no forums are listed, and there is no Search field.

Regards,

Hans L

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 2:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may go ahead an use version 9 and check (for differences) :

http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~VisualFoxPro
    dni
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:31 PM
  • dni, at first glance through, I did not find anything about version 8 and 9 in the wiki. However, I will look more carefully later.
    Thanks,

Hans L
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Hans L said:

An aside: Does Universal Thread have forums anymore? On the Home page, I can find nothing. They seem to have started publishing again (whatever happened?), but no forums are listed, and there is no Search field.

May I add to the Universal Thread question above about whether the will or will not be a VFP 10?

Hans L
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:15 PM
  • Can't help you with the UT (though as far as I know it is still up and running) because I never use it. But as for VFP 10 the short answer is "NO"

The announcement is here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vfoxpro/bb308952.aspx and was made in March of 2007.

-- Andy Kramek
    • Marked as answer by Hans L Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:17 AM

• Hm, Andy, here is what Doug Hennig said on

http://doughennig.blogspot.com/2008/04/there-will-be-vfp-10.html :

------------------

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

There Will be a VFP 10!

Microsoft announced early this morning that they've changed their minds and will release version 10 of Visual FoxPro after all. Their plans are ambitious: lifting the 2 GB limit on table size, making VFP a fully-compliant .NET language, integrating the Microsoft WSYP error handler, and so on.

Plans call for ten months of development and a two-month beta. They expect to release VFP 10 on this day next year.

------------------

Oooops, while I only looked at the year before, I now looked at the date. But for me, it is actually impossible to know if it is a April's Fools joke or real.

Regards,

Hans L
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:58 PM
  • dni, I can't find anything about VFP 10 in your links, but I find updates to VFP8 and 9 in the first link.  Thanks.

However, I am now convinced that there will be no VFP 10, and that Doug's post was a joke.

Regards,

Hans L
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Hans,

That was Doug's April Fools joke last year.
    No VFP10.

DNI gave you the links to the main differences in newer versions. Most will work with no changes except a few queries (see SET COMPATIBLE) that might need to be fixed as the old engine did not do a proper job in checking syntax and allowed some queries that are ambiguous.

• Marked as answer by Hans L Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:51 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Okay, Alex. Thanks,

Hans L
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:52 PM
  • Obviously, it's in my best interests for you to buy the What's New books and I think you would find that they pay for themselves. However, you'll also find a section in the Help file for each version about what was new in that version. Here's a link to the one for VFP 8:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa977087(VS.71).aspx

Tamar
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Yes, Tamar, it is in your best interest :-)  But it is also great to hear from you. I can unequivocally say that "Hackers ...7.0" is one of the best software, nay, professional books I have ever read. I understand what I read. You explain the terminology. You write exquisitely. You do not skip steps, one of the most common reason writers lose me on page 2.  Thank you very much!

Now, I suspect that I will lose myself if I read everything new in v. 8 *and* in v.9. So, I will probably use your link and read there about v.8, and then buy the book on v.9, and continue reading there.

Please let your coauthors know how I feel about your book!

Best regards,

Hans L
    Translator (English -> Swedish), editor and terminologist
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm delighted to hear that the Hacker's Guide is helping you. (I use it myself pretty much every day. It remembers better than I do.)

Tamar
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:04 PM