none
Can I replace (upgrade) my process template in TFS2013?

Question

• I have been using TFS since the 2010 incarnation.  We then upgraded to TFS2012, then 2012.2, and just this week went up to TFS2013.

We only use Source Control and Builds so far, and there is a lot of code in there, in a single Team Project which was originally created with the MSF Agile 5.0 process template.  But we have not been using work items or any of the project management stuff.

Up until now.

My company have ditched Rally and I'm keen to use the agile management features of TFS as they looks awesome.

The trouble is, my process template is way out of date, and having had a quick look at the 5.0 template compared with the 2013 template, we would much rather start off with the latest template.

I've looked around on the web and have seen loads of (very complex) posts about how to upgrade a process template, using powershell scripts, witadmin and poking about with XML files.  This all sounds very complex and a prime candidate for messing something up.

As we don't have any work item history we want to keep is there an easy way to rip out the original template which the Team Project was created with and upgrade to the latest and greatest????

Also as an aside do most of you folk prefer the Agile or Scrum template?  I was using Agile for my project as the Scrum template wasn't around at the time.  We do track Actual and Remaining hours against tasks though and I noticed that was not available in the Scrum template.

Thanks for any help you can offer, particularly on the upgrade process!

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you want to capture remaining and completed hours, the agile template has this.  The agile template also has Excel reports which may be something you may want.  The one difference that the scrum template has that the agile template does not out-of-the-box is the bug work item type is in the requirements category which means you can add bugs to the product backlog and prioritize them as part of your product backlog items.  This can be done with the agile template easily with XML customization.

As far as moving to the new process template, if you do not have any work item history, the best bet is to create a new team project in TFS 2013 and migrate your source code to the new team project using a migration tool.  The Team Foundation Server Integration tool is free and supported by Microsoft (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/eb77e739-c98c-4e36-9ead-fa115b27fefe).  There are also migration tools you can purchase that are supported such as Time Migration (http://www.timelymigration.com/).  This allows you to migrate your existing source code with history to a brand new team project running the latest process template.  Other than the pain of migrating source code, you avoid the difficulty of making changes to XML to bring an in-place upgraded team project to use the new 2013 features.

Saturday, February 01, 2014 4:52 PM
  • Hi Bobinsonpr,

Thanks for your post.

For this scenario, Brian provided us the useful information, please confirm that.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 03, 2014 7:53 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion.  The TFS Integration Tool (your link is broken but I presume you mean this: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/eb77e739-c98c-4e36-9ead-fa115b27fefe?) doesn't look like it supports TFS2013.

Also it doesn't look like it would support bringing file history across?

Not sure that really helps, I've got a lot of check-in history I'd like to keep.

Monday, February 03, 2014 7:32 PM
  • It does bring history across.  It would not be useful if it did not.  Also, if you have Team Explorer 2012 installed, the adapter for 2012 can be used for 2013.
    Monday, February 03, 2014 7:40 PM
  • Ah OK, I shall give that a try.

Where does Team Explorer 2012 need to be installed?  On the AppTier server?  Or my client machine? 

Monday, February 03, 2014 8:05 PM
  • Wherever the integration tool is installed.  The version of team explorer installed lights up the adapters.  So, you need TE 2010 and TE 2012 installed on the machine the integration tool is installed.
    Monday, February 03, 2014 10:16 PM
  • hi robinsonpr,

if you've been using MSF Agile 5 and did customize it you can easily upgrade it to MSF Agile 2013 used in TFS 2013 following the following instructions:

Update a Team Project Based on an MSF v4.2 Process Template

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Marked as answer by robinsonpr Monday, February 10, 2014 8:57 AM
    Monday, February 03, 2014 10:24 PM
  • I didn't customize the Agile 5 process at all, it is completely untouched.

I looked at those instructions but this bit worried me:

These procedures will only support access to new features available with Team Foundation Server 2012. Additional work is required to add new queries or the latest reports, update customized reports, or access dashboards.

It sounds like it will help me get up and running with the New Features (but I think I've already got those enabled by using the link on the TFS web interface).

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 4:52 PM
  • If you do not have workitems that need to be brought over, using the migration tool is probably your easiest approach.  You create a brand new team project in 2013 and move your source code with history to the new team project.  Just remember to run it more than once as it sometimes requires more than one pass.
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 5:14 PM
  • I didn't customize the Agile 5 process at all, it is completely untouched.

I looked at those instructions but this bit worried me:

These procedures will only support access to new features available with Team Foundation Server 2012. Additional work is required to add new queries or the latest reports, update customized reports, or access dashboards.

It sounds like it will help me get up and running with the New Features (but I think I've already got those enabled by using the link on the TFS web interface).

hi robinsonpr,

if you've always have run Configure Feature wizard after migration from TFS 2010 to TFS 2012 and TFS 2012 to TFS 2013 should be effectively using latest MSF Agile process template already.

see the following thread for migration MSF 6 to MSF Agile 6

Migrate customized MSF Agile 5 (TFS 2010) to MSF Agile 6 (TFS 2012)

and look at John's answer.

BTW why do you think that you need to update your Team Project to a new process template and that you're not already using latest process template ?

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, February 06, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Hi Daniel, thanks for the reply.

I have always run the Configure Feature Wizard when I went TFS2010 -> TFS2012 and now TFS2012 -> TFS2013.

I believe that the Configure Feature Wizard just does what it needs to get the new Features working (for example in my upgraded TFS2013 repo I have portfolio backlog management and code reviews)  BUT I don't think it upgrades the ENTIRE process template in use.

So I don't think I'm using the latest MSF Agile Process template.  But I AM using all of the latest features.

The reason I think I don't have the full latest process template is that on my task board I only have "Active" and "Closed" for my Task states:

So that's what I noticed and started me looking into this.

I created new test team project with the latest MSF agile template and there are 4 states for the Task work item, not just 2.  And the task board looks like this:

So it makes me wonder what else I'm missing!

That link you gave me the other day looks promising but it's the caveat below that concerns me:

I.e: will I be missing reports? Will queries and reports fail?  Will all the dashboards work?

I've considered the other option of creating a brand new Team Project with the 2013 process template, and using the TFS Integration/Migration tool to copy all my source code and history across, but it sounds like that migration tool is a bit flaky, "may" require more than 1 pass to migrate everything, and it doesn't directly support TFS2013, it needs the 2012 Team Explorer.

I think my best option is to try that upgrade process in your link using the witadmin command line tool, and then try and work out how to fix up the queries, reports and dashboards.

Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:26 PM
  • If you are just moving code from one project to another, use the move function (right-click source node > Move). History moves with the code and you do not need to mess with configuring a tool.

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

Thursday, February 06, 2014 7:36 PM
  • Hmmm, I just tried the source code move from the Source Control Explorer and it moved the code but didn't bring any of the history across.
    • Edited by robinsonpr Friday, February 07, 2014 11:34 AM
    Friday, February 07, 2014 11:34 AM
  • In Visual Studio or web access, when you view history, you will see a right arrow (triangle) in the far left column. Select that and it shows the previous history.

"You will find a fortune, though it will not be the one you seek." - Blind Seer, O Brother Where Art Thou
    Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others may find the fortune they seek.

Friday, February 07, 2014 5:35 PM
  • Hmm I don't see it.  Here is my VS and TWS:

Friday, February 07, 2014 6:24 PM
  • So what is different? Below is a screenshot of my test:

VS Screenshot showing file history with previous history node

As you can see, there is an arrow at the left that, when clicked, shows the previous history. Since Changeset 5 was a move (rename) as well, it too can be expanded. So why do you not have the arrow? Gonna have to research this. This feature has been available for some time.

Friday, February 07, 2014 8:06 PM
  • That's odd.  I had a quick search and checked the VS options for source control but I couldn't see anything!
    Friday, February 07, 2014 9:19 PM
  • OK, it works at file level but not folder level.  When I chose history for an individual file I see the tree expander for the old history.

I still prefer the idea of updating my process template in place though if I can iron out all the niggles.  Thanks for the help!

Friday, February 07, 2014 9:30 PM
  • Hi Robinsnopr,

Thanks for your post.

If you want move within the history on folder level, you should migrate using TFS Integration Tools.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 10, 2014 5:35 AM
  • Hi John.  The Integration Tools route sounds like it could cause me pain.  I've successfully managed to upgrade my process template from MSF Agile 5.0 up to MSF Agile 2013 using the link that Daniel provided earlier in the post.  

So I'm happier to leave all my  source where it is and not mess with it!

Thanks to all that contributed to this, all very helpful and it's helped me get over the finish line!

• Edited by robinsonpr Monday, February 10, 2014 8:59 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 8:59 AM
  • hi Paul,

after your successful upgrade to TFS 2013 you should check the permission assigned to the users.

We've noticed that after the migration the users lost their permission to change build quality and we needed to assign them separately.

(looks like the default permission had changed)

There're some other permission which had to been set again but I can't remember them.

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:38 PM
  • Hi Daniel, thanks for the reply.

That link you gave me the other day looks promising but it's the caveat below that concerns me:

I.e: will I be missing reports? Will queries and reports fail?  Will all the dashboards work?

after migration you need to upload the reports manually.

see the following thread for instructions: No reports in Reports Node after migrate and upgrade to TF 2012

Monday, February 10, 2014 12:48 PM