Apps don't work - Metro applications aren't opening

Question

• Well, none of the pre-installed apps on windows 8 are starting up if I click on their metro icon. Search doesn't work for them neither. Don't know what the problem could be (it is a little netbook).

Had some graphic bugs, too, that the screen background changed white (the green on the Start Menu and many parts like on the Desktop the Start-Symbol Background. But restart fixed that.

Greets Mos

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:15 PM

Answers

•  

So in other words, I'm completely wasting my time to try running it on the HP Slate 500 which runs 1024*600? That really sucks. I was really hoping to test Win8 out a bit, but that's the only touch device I have not in production.

Not necessarily, all one needs to do is connect their netbook to a larger display -- preferably 1080p or greater -- and select the native monitor resolution. After that everything works well.

Note: If Windows is limiting your resolution then you need to download and install the appropriate Windows 7 display drivers for your machine. Every manufacturer will usually have a support/download page.

Edit: Sorry I did not read that you were using a tablet. Upon review the specs, it has no DVI/VGA or HDMI so you will not be able to do as suggested.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:31 PM
  • What is your screen resolution? If it is below 1024x768 then the apps may not run. The resolution limit can be a problem for some netbooks.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:18 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• What is your screen resolution? If it is below 1024x768 then the apps may not run. The resolution limit can be a problem for some netbooks.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:18 PM
    Answerer
  • So in other words, I'm completely wasting my time to try running it on the HP Slate 500 which runs 1024*600? That really sucks. I was really hoping to test Win8 out a bit, but that's the only touch device I have not in production.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:23 PM
  • Damn, that sucks (My netbook is just 1024x600). Still great impression from windows 8, love it. (But it still drains my battery pretty much... But that could be the atom processor)
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:28 PM
  •  

So in other words, I'm completely wasting my time to try running it on the HP Slate 500 which runs 1024*600? That really sucks. I was really hoping to test Win8 out a bit, but that's the only touch device I have not in production.

Not necessarily, all one needs to do is connect their netbook to a larger display -- preferably 1080p or greater -- and select the native monitor resolution. After that everything works well.

Note: If Windows is limiting your resolution then you need to download and install the appropriate Windows 7 display drivers for your machine. Every manufacturer will usually have a support/download page.

Edit: Sorry I did not read that you were using a tablet. Upon review the specs, it has no DVI/VGA or HDMI so you will not be able to do as suggested.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Just connected it to my beamer, working great :D. After I started some apps like Sociality and disconnected the beamer again, now the apps can still run on my little display (even with some bugs if they weren't designed properly)

Thanks for the fast help :)

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:49 PM
  • The HP Slate 500 does support 1024x768, make sure you install the graphics drivers from HP.  The default is 1024x600, but it will compress the extra pixels for 768.
    Gray Knight
    Monday, November 07, 2011 12:26 AM
  • Well, none of the pre-installed apps on windows 8 are starting up if I click on their metro icon. Search doesn't work for them neither. Don't know what the problem could be (it is a little netbook).

Had some graphic bugs, too, that the screen background changed white (the green on the Start Menu and many parts like on the Desktop the Start-Symbol Background. But restart fixed that.

Greets Mos

I have this same problem. It seems that the Metro applications just start breaking not even a day after the OS is installed. Now most of my Metro applications don't work, but a few still do. Clicking on some redirects me to the store and I have to try a couple times for the actual application to start launching, but then it just fails and I get a blank green screen.
    Monday, November 07, 2011 3:47 AM
  • Hey PetardF,

Please take a look at the answer provided in the thread linked below to resolve the problem of your Metro style applications opening the Store Metro application.
    Store App opens, when I start any app on Metro UI for a specific user account

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 8:41 PM