unable to add winsock control to visual basic 6.0 sp6 when on windows vista

Question

•  

I tried to install VS 6.0 on my Vista, using Run As Administrator on VS Setup. Vista displayed the "Compatibility Issue" dialog and then the "Problem And Solutions" dialog directed me to a MS page to download Service Pack 6 for VS 6.0 which i downloaded and installed.

Visual Basic now runs, and i can create and run applications. But, when i try to add the Winsock control (its required for my chat application) to a form, it gives the following error "C:\Windows\system32\mswinsck.ocx could not be loaded".And, if i open the already created project which uses the Winsock control, it gives the following error alongwith the error mentioned above "Line 123: Class MSWinsockLib.Winsock of control Winsock was not a loaded control class".I can add and use other controls.

The file exists in the location system32 and i tried reinstalling Visual Studio and the Service Pack, and also running "regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\MSWINSCK.OCX" from Start>Run, which said it succeeded in registering the file. But, still it doesn't help.

I'd also like to mention that if I install my chat application, which uses winsock for sending text messages (using the setup i had created AT HOME on VB 6.0 SP4), the program (standalone EXE) functions (i.e. it can use the winsock control), but even then, i get the same errors when i try to add the control to a form in Visual Basic IDE.
    What might be wrong?

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 1:00 PM

Answers

All replies