Should make Zune the default on Windows 8 for Music and Videos

All replies

• +1

A lot of people around the world use the Zune software for playing music and videos.

Paulo Morgado
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:11 PM
  • iTunes was originally designed as the Mac equivalent to Windows Media Player, not an iPod/iPhone/iPad manager. The Zune program was probably designed as a companion to the Zune media player, which there will be no more versions of. Therefore, using Zune on Windows doesn't make sense when Windows already has Windows Media Player.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 9:20 PM
  • Windows Phone, any direct sync with PC via zune only.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:51 PM
  • But isn't the Zune for Windows used to upload music to the Windows Phone?
    Monday, September 19, 2011 8:06 PM
  • I don't get why they have Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, and Zune. I think Windows Media Player should do all the things those other's do. Maybe make Media Center a remote UI when people use their PC as an HTPC, and give WMP all the same features or something. Too much fragmentation within Microsoft before...
    Monday, September 19, 2011 8:09 PM
  • I think Zune is better than Windows Media Player. You can listen to music (of course if you pay) etc..
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 4:14 PM
  • +1

Zune is way better than windows media player. While windows media player offers a nice way to manage all files, Zune is the much better for playback and works way smoother.

In windows 8 I'd like to see both WMP and Zune.

Windows media center is also needed, but I think it can be intergarted into Zune.

Saturday, November 05, 2011 7:22 PM
  • Windows Media Center is primarily for TV recording and viewing from a tuner card. As an additional function, it also plays media.

Windows Media Player is the full-featured media player with library and jukebox capabilities. Read the full list of Windows Media Player features here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Player

Zune software is primarily for synchronizing content to Zune and Windows Phone devices. Yes it can play back some media formats (but not many) and has some cool looking graphics and is clean and simple with a beautiful Metro look but Zune software does not have many many features which Windows Media Player has.

Each serves its own purpose and there is no need to merge them. If you like Zune software as your media player, you are free to use it but don't expect Microsoft to make it as powerful as Windows Media Player.

• Edited by xpclient Sunday, November 06, 2011 8:04 PM
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Windows Media Center is mostly HTPC thing. You can think of it as a separate UI for HTPCs, which combines WMP, Photo Viewer and TV tuner software functionality. If you have HTPC, you're supposed to use WMC almost all the time, and if you have ordinary PC or laptop, you use Desktop UI + WMP instead. Therefore, as I see it, it's not WMP and WMC, but WMP or WMC, depending on PC type. And I really like the fact that there is only one application for multimedia in Windows and not three like in Mac OS X.
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 1:03 PM
  • Let me guess. You never used the Zune Software, right?
    Paulo Morgado
    Sunday, November 06, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Clearly nobody here has used Media Center much either.  WMC is so much better of an experience for a touchscreen as well, compared to WMP.  With the emphasis on Metro on tablets, I expect WMC to be made more of a priority, to be honest.

Actually though, I'd integrate it directly into Metro, so you can have direct buttons for live tv, tv guide, media center videos, music, etc, right from the start screen, and unlike previous versions that'd make it fully customizable.

Sunday, November 06, 2011 11:27 PM
  • Actually though, I'd integrate it directly into Metro, so you can have direct buttons for live tv, tv guide, media center videos, music, etc, right from the start screen, and unlike previous versions that'd make it fully customizable.
    Yes, I think that integrating the various aspects of WMC into separate Metro apps is a great idea, as long as it can be done in such a way that physical devices that work with WMC can be made to work in the new paradigm.

WMP could be left in Desktop Windows. I know nothing about the Zune software, but since Zune itself is being discontinued and Metro is the future, it might make sense to incorporate the Zune software into WMC/Metro.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, November 07, 2011 11:38 AM
  • I know a few people that don't own Zunes or Windows Phones and started using the Zune software when I showed it to them.

For me, one of the major advantages is pausing a video or audio and later resuming it at the same point.

Paulo Morgado
    Monday, November 07, 2011 11:46 AM
  • I personally own three Zunes, Zune HD, Zune 16 and a previous Zune 80 and I have used the Zune software extensively. It's beautiful, everything works, the library is fast and it gets the job done. However Windows Media Player at this point is far more full featured, Zune software doesn't even support as many rich metadata columns that WMP library has, all the enhancements, streaming features, plugin support and much more. Neither does Windows Media Center have these. Media Center is naturally suitable to be optimized further for touch because it was designed as a ten-foot interface to be also used with a remote. However, neither of these should be merged, each has its own role to play. Just my two cents.

If Microsoft wants to create a Metro multimedia app, they should leave the desktop versions as it is as create a hybrid of Zune (whose Metro style is far more beautiful) and Media Center with touch in Metro style.

Monday, November 07, 2011 12:00 PM
  • I agree to see Zune as main and/or only player shiped with Windows 8.

I have never liked or used Windows Media Player. But with Zune i fall in love with first use. 

Edit: Also i don't own Zune device. 
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Oh my Lord. Obviously most here have not used Zune...on a touch screen. My reason for being here was to search for a Zune topic and suggest the W8 folks walk down the hall, or across campus and give the Zune team a collective head slap. I have two tablets running preview, and one desktop with a 21" Touch screen monitor. That is my media machine so I can talk about Media Center and Media Player on it as well.

The Zune software has impossibly small UI elements even on the 21" monitor. While it is great tapping Pins, New, History, on the Quickplay page, and even selecting between Quickplay, Collection, etc. try hitting Settings, Minimise, Maximise, or adjusting the volume. To make matters worse, when you swipe left to right, the page moves right to left, it is backwards. Go ahead, load up Zune on a touch screen and see. Interestingly the UI elements I mentioned seem to be about the same size on my smaller tablets, a Dell Duo and an HP Slate 500. With the Slate I at least have the stylus option. If I am in tablet mode though, I shouldn't need to dig out a stylus to change the volume on my Touch Friendly Win8 Tablet. I actually had the opportunity to talk to some Zune folks at MS at the beginning of the year, when I first got my Slate, and before MS announced Win 8, and showed them the issues. They dismissed it saying Zune didn't support touch. No kidding...but at this point, the Company seems to be behind touch...maybe they should get with it. It is halfway there.

Media Center actually makes a pretty good touch interface on my big monitor, and since the PC has a tuner, it does all the stuff Media Center does. It is designed to be a 10ft interface though, so it may be a little overkill for a tablet, or laptop. On the other hand, don't know if any of you remember Portable Media Centers. Honkin' failures, but they did use the Media Center UI concept and it worked very nicely on a small device (I still have one, it still works nicely on a small device.) Problem was it was a paperback book sized device competeng with a deck of cards sized iPod. The other issue was the typical MS support. Seemed like they threw some software at a few hardware companies and said, here, build a PMP around this, it's Media Center by MS so people will naturally love it. Not very Metro'y either.

Media Player is kind of a no go, just because the interface is so keyboard mouse windows desktop based. It's almost an iTunes cousin, and nobody gushes over the visual appeal of iTunes. It does however have some nice features. If you learn how, you can make some killer automatic playlists. You have way more options than in Zune, something I really miss. I also miss the 5 star rating capability. Like, Hate, Don't Care, just doesn't cut it unless you give me more metadata control for creating the automatic playlists I also want.

Of the three current Media forks in the MS road, Zune seems the closest to Metro already, has some following in the Windows Phone crowd and some angry villagers in the abandoned Zune hardware crowd (me included), so it might be a good fit for the Metro media player base. Wouldn't surprise me, if something like a Media Center interface actually continues in the laptop/PC world, that it might not start looking like the new XBox interface. Need the channel listing and DVR options though.

In any case, someone needs to go smack the Zune folks up side the head with a touch screen tablet...maybe one of those Samsung units they gave out at Build.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Yes, the Zune Software is specifically designed for the Windows Phone and Zune devices, but it wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to expand their mobile market using the Windows Media Player. Nowadays, people want a software that can do it all; the Zune software for Windows makes a lot of sense. If you compare the benefits that comes with the Zune software with the Windows Media Player, the Zune software triumphs: a cleaner UI, a better store, and more.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:04 AM