Cannot access tools in the visual basic 2008 - windows forms application -toolbox

Question

• I am new to Visual Basic 2008 Express edition and have tried to create a first VB Program using an edition I downloaded from Microsoft.

However I cannot access any of the tools in the toolbox that I open after File > New Project > Windows Forms Application > Toolbox

The Toolbox window that opens on the left of the console does not contain any Tools unlike what I have seen in a VB Demo Video.

Probably an error in my downloaded version or I need to do some further downloads of tools etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Saturday, April 10, 2010 6:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Beginner,

You start a new project, select Windows Applications forms and type in a Project name it will open a blank form1.vb in the design mode tab. At this point the controls are availible in the tool box. The controls are availible only in the design mode when form1.vb is displayed. If  form1.vb (designer) tab is displayed this is where you enter code and no tools will be in the tool box unless you have built added some for this mode.. To open the designer mode right click on the form1.vb in the solution explorer on the right side of you screen and select open from the drop dowm list.

If when VB express first opens you don't have the tools, the install was bad or the settings were not correct during install.

Before doing a reinstall got to this link and folow the direction given by wz2b about the eight post down. He tells you how to repopulate the tool box.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/490c9f52-f0c3-4fd3-9770-b8be9e0fd9d9

If You reinstall you need to go back to the Microsft website and read how to reinstall VB before reinstalling.

Curtis

Always Lost in Code, Always mark answers as correct if they answer you question and solve your problem. This way others when searching for similar problems can find the answer faster.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Thanks for your help Curtis.

I read the posts in the thread that you linked and have tried most of the suggestions without success.  I have reinstalled Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition but the same problem still exists.  I cannot access the Toolbox Items after opening VB08 > File > New project > Windows Forms Application > OK > (Right Click in Toolbox) I receive the following.

An error occurred loading this property page.

I have screen prints of all the places I have visited trying to solve the problem but at the moment am unsure of how to load them on to the replies section of this forum.  I have tried linking below.

C:\Documents and Settings\Richard\My Documents\Visual Basic\Errors\Screenprints_Errors_Link.htm

Sunday, April 11, 2010 2:32 PM
  • A couple of questions I have, is what Operating System do you have and Also are you log on as Administrator to your system. Did you have anything besides IE running during install? As for posting a link, I know you can highlight the text and use the chain link icon to link to the URL.

But as to how to place objects I am not sure. I believe they are using the HTML icon.

Curtis

Always Lost in Code, Always mark answers as correct if they answer you question and solve your problem. This way others when searching for similar problems can find the answer faster.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:01 PM
  • You also need to successfully build the project before you will see the controls in the ToolBox.
    Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:30 PM
  • Hey Rudedog2,

He said he was selecting file then new project, then windows form Applications template, then ok, This should have created a new project and should have opened the form1.vb (design) in a new tab witch at this time would have the controls in the tool box. He said it gave an error when trying to acces the toolbox after this new project was created.

He has something wrong with the install. He has tried the install a couple of times with similar results.

Curtis

Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Multiple installs and still not working usually suggests that the registry is corrupted.

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 5:54 PM
  •  Renee is probably right you will most likely have to do a complete reinstall of your computer operating system. But first you can try system restore and restore to a point when the system was first installed or the closest to this point. This should restore the registry to a non corrupted point.

But if it was me I would uninstall Visual Basic before doing a restore. Then restore and reinstall VB. Another thing is the darn anti virus programs. Make sure you have them turned off and any firewalls before installing VB. I had to reinstall once because of nortons antivirus being on. I would download VB and burn it to cd and disconnect the internet this way the internet is not connected during install and your system is protected from the internet with all you firewalls down.

After reinstalls are complete remeber to turn on all your firewalls and antivirus. Then connect to the internet.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:23 PM
  • "But if it was me I would uninstall Visual Basic before doing a restore. Then restore and reinstall VB. Another thing is the darn anti virus programs. Make sure you have them turned off and any firewalls before installing VB. I had to reinstall once because of nortons antivirus being on. I would download VB and burn it to cd and disconnect the internet this way the internet is not connected during install and your system is protected from the internet with all you firewalls down.

After reinstalls are complete remeber to turn on all your firewalls and antivirus. Then connect to the internet."

I wanted to agree with Curtiss completely, with a couple of exceptions. If you init the disk prior to doing an install there would be no reason to uninstall vb because, assuming the install is of a system disk made before VB was installed, it will never have existed.

The AV programs are offensive and often, if  active they will stop a proper installation of VB. It's best to turn them off or delete them from memory before installing VB.

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:34 PM
  • The links I posted describe how to repair the registry.

Wiping your drive and reloading the OS should be a last resort, not a first option.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:40 PM
  • A corrupted registry should never occur, but it does.

Backup should work and it should give users more choices than it does.

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:46 PM
  • I agree with Renee for a complete system re install.

What i said wasn't very clear. I was referring to a restore from a previous time using system restore from a backup.

When using system restore. it only resets the system settings and restores the previous registry. Any programs that are installed and data will still be there or at least this is what I have been told. If VB is still installed it could cause the new registry to be modified with a corruption.

Curtis

Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:49 PM
  • I assumed an uncorrupted registry and one made before vb was installed.

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:04 PM
  • I assumed an uncorrupted registry and one made before vb was installed.

Renee

My assumption, too.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:11 PM
  • Hello Curtis

Windows XP SP3 and yes Administrator Account.  During the first install I think I may have been using another program.

I have been to  Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > and done a Repair/Reinstall of Microsoft .Net Framework and Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU.

I have opened VB08 and I could see the controls in the Toolbox but they appeared inactive.

After doing a test File > New project > Windows Forms Application > OK > (Right Click in Toolbox) the tools were still disabled (appear practically colourless and feint)

I don't want to mess around too much at the moment until I am sure I have a fix and can get VB up and running.  Further posts to follow. and thanks for everyone's help.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:11 PM
  • "After doing a test File > New project > Windows Forms Application > OK > (Right Click in Toolbox) 

I have an unusual question to ask. You are opening the .sln file aren't you?

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Those are good assumptions rudedog2. I recommended a backup fo a couple of reasons. The OP knows thar system well including whats installed and what is not installed. Therefore working back up to an exact copy is usually a "kmown".

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Let me ask you this also you do have form1(Design.vb) tab showing with little grab resize boxes showing? This is one indicator that form1.vb designer is active. If it is not active it will show grayed out controls. Click on the Build menu and select build and look at the bottom of the screen and see if it says build succeded or if an error came up.

Is my what I have been told incorrect about the registry and installed programs. Be cuase I did a restore to before I had installed VB just a couple of days ago and VB was still there and installed. The restore completed successfully. Remember Renee when we were working on the menu. My computer decided to go bizurk on me when I renamed an extension. All my file .ext associations went to the wind.

Curtis

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Thanks Curtis you have  the situation correct.  

If I had known that VB was so tempermental I would have installed on another PC. 

I have just done a clean install of XP on a ten year old desktop but it only has a 1 Ghz processor, 256 Mb RAM.  It does have two Hard Drives albeit small capacity, 20Gb and 15 Gb and the smaller one is perfectly clean after just being formatted.

I really would like to use VB on the problem install PC which has lots of programs and data that I would not like to have to back up and reinstall elsewhere.  I am sure that there is an easy solution. 

I have read posts of DevEnv having to be activated and a command prompt or run instruction having to be used after installation to activate the Toolbox.  DevEnv is all Greek to me so I will have to have clear instructions if this is indeed a fix. 

Thanks again everyone and keep your thoughts posted on these pages.

Richard

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:49 PM
  • Your system did not meet the  minimum hardware requirements.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4c26cc39.aspx

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Thanks for that, I was goining to look up sys req's before  trying on my old pc

Richard

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:14 PM
  • The program "devenv.exe" is the main application file for Visual Studio.  It is short for "developer environment".
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:16 PM
  • "After doing a test File > New project > Windows Forms Application > OK > (Right Click in Toolbox) 

I have an unusual question to ask. You are opening the .sln file aren't you?

Renee

Sorry for my ignorance renee but what is the .sin file ?

I had been following an instuctional video on VB08 and I cannot access the toolbox after gettting as far as File > New project > Windows Forms Application > OK > (Right Click in Toolbox) The tools are disabled unlike the examples shown on the video.

Richard

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:20 PM
  • here is something I found that you need to check it is a qoute from another post.

"I also try to solve “grayed out” controls in toolbox problem, but neither of the proposed solution didn't helped. Then I found out, that VS alone was once changed it's target.NET framework. (may be during some installation of new controls, I don't know). So, If your target framework version (could be set in Project/Properties/Compile/Advanced Compile Options) is lower that that of used controls, they will be inactive (grayed). I have simply choose .NET framework 3.5 in the Advanced Compile Options and after new start up of VS, all controls was enabled. If you don't have NET framework 3.5 SP1 yet, you could install it from MS web page."

Curtis

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Build

Build Succeeded is shown
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:25 PM
  • For the tool toolbox to be enabled, you have to be in "designer" mode.

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:27 PM
  • The program "devenv.exe" is the main application file for Visual Studio.  It is short for "developer environment".

Rudedog2,

You know a lot more about devenv.exe than I do. Iwas just reading about the comand
    Devenv /ResetSkipPkgs could the toolbox pkg have been skipped during installation?

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:29 PM
  • The .sln file is the solutions file. before you do anything right-click on the .sln file.

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:35 PM
  • I am not familiar with all of the gritty details of the installation process. 

An "sln" file is the "solution" file, which maintains and manages the collection of projects that make up an application.  I suggest that you go into "Options" and turn on the option to "always show solution" file in Solution Explorer.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Curtis,  I have Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed and have done a repair/reinstall to its as new configurations.  Problem still exists.

I will now have alook at Project/Properties/Compile/Advanced Compile Options

Thanks

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Curtis,  I have Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed and have done a repair/reinstall to its as new configurations.  Problem still exists.

I will now have alook at Project/Properties/Compile/Advanced Compile Options

Thanks

PS And yes target Framework is set to NET Framework 3.5

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:38 PM

Rudedog2,

You know a lot more about devenv.exe than I do. Iwas just reading about the comand
    Devenv /ResetSkipPkgs could the toolbox pkg have been skipped during installation?

This is something I have been looking at in the Forums, but I am unsure of what run/command to enter and where.  Any further info gratefully received.

Richard

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:44 PM
  • Let me ask again since everyone knows what the .SLN file is - is that what you are using to start a given solution?

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Thanks for that, I was goining to look up sys req's before  trying on my old pc

Richard

Just read that XP SP3 is not supported under the Sytem requirements which would rule out using the PC I am trying to run VB08 on as well as my 10year old Tiny comp with 1 Ghz Celeron processor
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Read this thread about Devnev.exe it use the command prompt from your accesories folder. This goes back to the way we use to build batch files for runnig a install for some of the old dos applications if they can be called an application as small as they were.

The correct way to get to this command is open VS and select the view menu OtherWindows/Command Windows.

This opens a small window and you will see c:\ and several subdirectories. The commands are entered here or you could open notepad and type the commands in it and save the file as anyname.bat in the directory that shows when you first open the command window. This should be the correct directory. Then go to the command prompt and type c:\...\anyname.bat this will run the bat and execute any commands in the batch file.

Curtis

• Edited by Curtis UN Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:54 PM Wrong directions for Command Window
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:00 PM

Renee

Maybe I am destined never to be in "designer" mode.

Richard

Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:02 PM
  • Forgot to add the thread to the devnev

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xee0c8y7(v=VS.80).aspx

curtis

Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:03 PM

Renee

Maybe I am destined never to be in "designer" mode.

Richard

Designer Mode means to open a form.vb file.  Double-click it in Solution Explorer.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:06 PM
  • "Maybe I am destined never to be in "designer" mode."

I am a poor one to know since I never use VSE, I use VS and only know the vs ways of getting into designer mode.

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:08 PM
  • Ruledog2,

"Designer Mode means to open a form.vb file."

I think Designer mode has a more specific meaning than that. There is a designer mode which is a pictorial representation of a form. There is "code mode" which is an editor presentation of various forms.

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:16 PM

• Designer Mode means to open a form.vb file.  Double-click it in Solution Explorer.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:26 PM
  • I made a mistake in the earlier post the command prompt is in VS from the view menu/other windows/command window and appears not to be avialible to vb express be cause it is not in mine. I found this after going through about 10 different poats.

Curtis

Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Thanks Curtis

I thought I was missing something when I could not enter any commands to work with VB and also wondered why all the posts regarding this fix related to VS.

Richard

Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:31 PM
  • Let me ask again since everyone knows what the .SLN file is - is that what you are using to start a given solution?

I don't understand this.

Richard

Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:44 PM

Renee

I don't understand this

Richard

Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:48 PM
  • OK, I'll try asking a differeny way. Please answer in detail. How are you starting a session?. Let's say you wanted to edit form1. Make your answer as specific as possible. Include complete filespecs.

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 10:56 PM
  • OK, I'll try asking a differeny way. Please answer in detail. How are you starting a session?. Let's say you wanted to edit fotm1. Make your answer as specific as possible.

Renee

"I am new to Visual Basic 2008 Express edition and have tried to create a first VB Program using an edition I downloaded from Microsoft.

However I cannot access any of the tools in the toolbox that I open after File > New Project > Windows Forms Application > Toolbox

The Toolbox window that opens on the left of the console does not contain any Tools unlike what I have seen in a VB Demo Video."

I have beeen following a demo video.  I cannot progress any further than the above because the toolbox is not enabled. 

I start a session by opening VB then Opening a Project then a Windows Forms Application.  At this point I should be able to access the Toolbox and its contents which are not displayed.  At this point I am in Design Mode and can see the Solutions Explorer that contains My  Project and Form 1.vb.

Data Sources contains the message "your project currently has no data sources...." and a "Add New Data Source" link which when clicked opens the data Source Configuration Wizard.

Richard

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:00 PM
  • If I go to File Open Project or Open File and open a previous attempt I still cannot access the Toolbox when the console opens containing text as follows:

<

Global.Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DesignerGenerated()> _

Partial

Class Form1

Inherits System.Windows.Forms.Form

'Form overrides dispose to clean up the component list.

<System.Diagnostics.DebuggerNonUserCode()> _

Protected Overrides Sub Dispose(ByVal disposing As Boolean)

Try

If disposing AndAlso components IsNot Nothing Then

components.Dispose()

End If

Finally

MyBase.Dispose(disposing)

End Try

End Sub

'Required by the Windows Form Designer

Private components As System.ComponentModel.IContainer

'NOTE: The following procedure is required by the Windows Form Designer

'It can be modified using the Windows Form Designer.

'Do not modify it using the code editor.

<System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThrough()> _

Private Sub InitializeComponent()

components =

New System.ComponentModel.Container()

Me.AutoScaleMode = System.Windows.Forms.AutoScaleMode.Font

Me.Text = "Form1"

End Sub

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:19 PM
  • "Opening a Project then a Windows Forms Application"

What I have been attemtping to ask is how you open a forms application. Clearly I asked that and clearly I have not gotten an answer.

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:23 PM
  • "I cannot access any of the tools in the toolbox that I open after File > New Project > Windows Forms Application > Toolbox"

You have not told me how you initially opened the project yet. If you have, you have not opened the project correctly. I can tell you how to open up a project in VS but not VSE.

Renee

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:35 PM
  • Renee,

He doesn't have one to open. Unless he has downloaded a sample. He has not been able to create a workable solution.

I know you do not use VB express so here is what happens when I start a new project like his is starting. I start New Project it raises the Select template dialog and I select windows forms application for this template dialog then click OK. After clicking OK the VB Exspress opens the tabs that have The Start tab, and Form1.vb(design) tab. At this point the toolbox has selectable tools in that can be dragged to the form. I don't do anything but open the toolbox window by clicking on it.

This is what he can't do.

Just had  a thought download the sample VB projects from Microsoft. Then ope one of those projects and see if the darn tools are there and can be used. They should be.

If this doesn't work the you need to submit a bug report to microsoft and they may take a week or so to answer you but they will. They may ask for you to allow them access to your system so they can check the systems settings and services etc. I had to dowload My complete project that I was working on to them so they could find out what was happening with it. They found out and helped me. The one thing you just about have to have dealing with microsoft is trust in them.

Curtis

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:35 PM
  • That opening Click-Once files.

Here is how you open AND reopen a file in VS.

Go to the file menu and "New Project" with nothing in VS open

Next I am presented with a menu abd I select Windows Form Application.

Anf

I title or Name it foo

In code view, I am presented with this:

Public

Class Form1

End

Class

To which I add this, giving me:

Public Class Form1

Private

Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

End Sub

End Class

Next I choose File | | Close Project

And I'm presented with

"Do you want to save or discard the proect?"

I tell it to save it. I am immediately presented with a Second box which has three things: 1.) Nane - of the project which is foo

2) Location - which in my case is H:foo

And A third which is Solutiom Name which is also Foo.

I hit Save and Save Foo in H:Foo

Nexr post How open a new project now that you have created it.

Monday, April 12, 2010 12:14 AM
  • OK and I hear you Curtiss...

I go to h:\foo  and I notice there is another copy of [foo] there. I select it by right clicking it with my mouse on Explorer. After I do that I notice three files

1. Anther directory called Foo where all the files are, Foo.Suo which we're not concerned with and Foo.sln.

Right clicking Foo.sln in Explorer 'selects' it and also selects foo.sln as the input file. This opens the project.

I did NOT propose this as the answer.

Renee

• Proposed as answer by Renee Culver Monday, April 12, 2010 12:41 AM
    Monday, April 12, 2010 12:29 AM
  • This forum has cause me to lose two post that i had to  repost and some mistake that i had to edit.

I don't know if my system or the forums causing it to acting up on me again.

Monday, April 12, 2010 12:51 AM
  • This forum does not work well. I suspect your system because although the forum is bad it doesn't lose posts as far as I've seen.

Renee

Monday, April 12, 2010 12:54 AM
  • Well that being the case I definitely suspect the installation. What is the configuration of the system you are trying to install VS on?

Renee

Monday, April 12, 2010 1:17 AM
  • Hello Curtis

Windows XP SP3 and yes Administrator Account.  During the first install I think I may have been using another program.

I have been to  Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > and done a Repair/Reinstall of Microsoft .Net Framework and Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition with SP1 - ENU.

I have opened VB08 and I could see the controls in the Toolbox but they appeared inactive.

After doing a test File > New project > Windows Forms Application > OK > (Right Click in Toolbox) the tools were still disabled (appear practically colourless and feint)

I don't want to mess around too much at the moment until I am sure I have a fix and can get VB up and running.  Further posts to follow. and thanks for everyone's help.

Renee here is his setup. and the requirments

1. System Requirements

1.1 Supported Architectures

·  x86

·  x64 (WOW)

1.2. Supported Operating Systems

·  Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3

·  Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2

·  Microsoft Windows Server 2008

·  Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows Vista Service Pack 1

1.3. Hardware Requirements

·  Minimum: 1.6 GHz CPU, 192 MB RAM, 1024x768 display, 5400 RPM hard disk

·  Recommended: 2.2 GHz or higher CPU, 384 MB or more RAM, 1280x1024 display, 7200 RPM or higher hard disk

·  On Windows Vista/Windows Server 2008: 2.4 GHz CPU, 768 MB RAM

·  1.3 GB of available disk space for the full installation

Monday, April 12, 2010 5:01 AM
  • I know you do not use VB express so here is what happens when I start a new project like his is starting. I start New Project it raises the Select template dialog and I select windows forms application for this template dialog then click OK. After clicking OK the VB Exspress opens the tabs that have The Start tab, and Form1.vb(design) tab. At this point the toolbox has selectable tools in that can be dragged to the form. I don't do anything but open the toolbox window by clicking on it.

This is what he can't do.

Just had  a thought download the sample VB projects from Microsoft. Then ope one of those projects and see if the darn tools are there and can be used. They should be.

If this doesn't work the you need to submit a bug report to microsoft and they may take a week or so to answer you but they will. They may ask for you to allow them access to your system so they can check the systems settings and services etc. I had to dowload My complete project that I was working on to them so they could find out what was happening with it. They found out and helped me. The one thing you just about have to have dealing with microsoft is trust in them.

Thanks Curtis

Could you please give me more information as to how to download and open Sample VB Projects from Microsoft.  I will try Microsoft Downloads and other places.

ps Downloaded sample Projects from within VB.  Opened a sample project and code was in the VB console but again no toolbox.

I will follow your other suggestion Curtis and report the bug today.  Thanks again for your help.

Richard

Thanks Curtis
    Monday, April 12, 2010 7:18 AM
  • If this doesn't work the you need to submit a bug report to microsoft and they may take a week or so to answer you but they will. They may ask for you to allow them access to your system so they can check the systems settings and services etc. I had to dowload My complete project that I was working on to them so they could find out what was happening with it. They found out and helped me. The one thing you just about have to have dealing with microsoft is trust in them

The System.Windows.Forms.design IUIService service could not be found

This is a new error message I have come across on my quest to get the Toolbox working.  What is the process to report a problem with an installation of Microsoft VB.  I have looked eveyrwhere and cannot find anywhere to notify Microsoft of a problem.  Plent of offers to take part in customer participation schemes but I can only find Micrososft paid for support.

Help please

Richard

Monday, April 12, 2010 1:25 PM
  • I was asking how fast his processor was, how much memory he had and  how much disk he has free?

I was just reading the minimums and Microsoft has really raised them.

Well do our best Richard.

Renee

Monday, April 12, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Richard,

Do you have any editiom of SQL on the system and is it the correct sone?

Renee

Monday, April 12, 2010 2:28 PM
  • I have googled this and so far have found lots of questions but no answers.

http://forums.asp.net/p/1220982/2566821.aspx#2566821

Renee

Monday, April 12, 2010 2:40 PM
  • I Have tried to go back to the post I made to Microsoft and this forum is not cooperating. Still looking for it, it should be in my alert strings but its gone.

Curtis

Monday, April 12, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Here is where I reported my problem with VB 2008 at.

http://connect.microsoft.com/default.aspx?lc=1033

You have to register to report the problem. It is a secure connection. And your VB 2008 needs to be registered.

Curtis

Monday, April 12, 2010 4:16 PM
  • SQL Server 2008

SQL Server 2008 Browser

SQL Server 2008 Management Objects

Sql Server 2008 Native Client

Sql Server Server 2008 Setup Support Files

Sql Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Design Tools - English

Sql Server VSS Writer

Microsft .NET Framework (Versions 1.1.  2.0 Beta 2.  2 Service Pack 2.  3.0 Service Pack 2.  3.5 Service Pack 1)

(Is it necessary for all of these .NET Framework programmes - Does a succesive install not replace ite previous version?

Also I do not know if this has any relevance, but I can run Visual Basic from Office 2007.  Maybe I will just use this to gain experience of VB.  Would it be possible to migrate/import toolbox Files from this source? - Just a thought

I have still not had any success in finding any support options from Microsoft with this installation of VB08.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Richard

Monday, April 12, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Before doing a reinstall got to this link and folow the direction given by wz2b about the eight post down. He tells you how to repopulate the tool box.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/490c9f52-f0c3-4fd3-9770-b8be9e0fd9d9

If You reinstall you need to go back to the Microsft website and read how to reinstall VB before reinstalling.

Curtis

Could anyone offer me assistance with information related to this link if it will help with activation of components in the toolbox of VB08

Richard

Monday, April 12, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Could all of this be related to his not repopulating the tool box?

Renee

Monday, April 12, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Could all of this be related to his not repopulating the tool box?

Renee

Repopulating the Toolbox?  More info please. ( I did a search for repopulating the toolbox and now we are going round in circles as I found this info) http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvb/thread/c8d031cf-96e5-4d8a-8428-4d3b150efc6c

Richard

ps  I still do not know where in Microsoft VB or anywhere else that I can report this problem

pps I have now submitted feedback and details are posted four posts above this

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Thanks for your help Curtis.  I went to your link and although I could not find the exact place to submit feedback for VB08 I submitted feedback in the Visual Studio + NET Framework 4   https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/550541/microsoft-visual-basic-2008-express-edition-file-new-project-windows-form-application-cannot-access-toolbox-items?wa=wsignin1.0area and added a note that if this was the wrong place could they please forward it to the correct department.  I don't knoow what will happen but lets hope it gets to someone with a solution.  You may be able to access the report by going to this link and signing in, if not here is a summary of what it contains.

I am looking for support with an installation of Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition that I downloaded from Microsoft.  If this is not the correct place for this request could you please inform me where I can gain a solution to this problem.

Open Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition > File > New Project > Windows Form Application > OK > (Toolbox is empty of tools except for the cursor/pointer tool)

File > New Project > Windows Form Application > OK > Right Click Toolbox Console (List View and Show All selected) > (Toolbox is empty of tools except for the cursor/pointer tool)

File > New Project > Windows Form Application > OK > Right Click Toolbox Console > Reset Toolbox > OK > (Toolbox Default Settings Will be restored) > YES > (Toolbox is empty of tools except for the cursor/pointer tool)

File > New Project > Windows Form Application > OK > Right Click Toolbox Console > Choose Items > (Choose Toolbox Items Window contains an error message "An error occurred loading this property page") > Reset > (Toolbox default settings will be restored.  All custom toolbox items will be removed.  Continue) > YES > (Toolbox is empty of tools except for the cursor/pointer tool)

I have started a thread in the MSDN Forums    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvb/thread/c8d031cf-96e5-4d8a-8428-4d3b150efc6c  and followed all suggestions by readers of the thread but am still unable to access the Toolbox contents whilst in Design View of a windows form Application.

I will keep you posted of any contact I get from this feedback.

Richard

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:48 AM
  • I beleive it has to do with your Registry

This is a link from Microsofht Answers for this type problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/266747?p=1#top

It does not tell what to do to fix it. If you had a currupted registry when you installed VB Express. This would account for the problems your having with errors and not being able to drag tools from tool box. Certain services have to activated for VB to work correct and every reference I have read on this has said something about registry or service errors.

And not one has given a solution to this problem.

My suggestion is to backup your Data files and documents Which is not to hard to do. Applications should be reinstalled and not just copied back in from a backup. Most of the saved data that you have should be stored in MyDocuments.

If it was me I would do a complete system Reinstall and format the hard drive in case some virus has attached itself to the boot record. Then install Windows and update. Then install VB Exspress. Then install the rest of your Applications.

Curtis

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:56 PM
  • You have submitted it correctly That is the site  I used. They May take a fewDays to get back to you.

Curtis.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:01 PM
  • Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:36 PM
  •  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/490c9f52-f0c3-4fd3-9770-b8be9e0fd9d9

It's been talked about by Curtiss.

Renee

Thanks Renee

When I go to Tools > Options > Windows Form Designer > I receive the error message "An error occurred loading this property page"

All of the other Items are in the Options Window - Environment, Projects and Solutions, Text editor and database Tools and seem to be fully accessible.

This scenario is the same if I carrry out Tools > Options > Windows Form Designer just after opening VB08 or after I have carried out File > New Project > Windows Form Application > OK > Tools > Options > Windows Form Designer

I still cannot find anything to do with repopulating the toolbox.  Topics discussed in the above link seem to all relate to earlier versions of VB or VS,

Richard

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:51 PM
  • I beleive it has to do with your Registry

This is a link from Microsofht Answers for this type problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/266747?p=1#top

It does not tell what to do to fix it. If you had a currupted registry when you installed VB Express. This would account for the problems your having with errors and not being able to drag tools from tool box. Certain services have to activated for VB to work correct and every reference I have read on this has said something about registry or service errors.

And not one has given a solution to this problem.

Thanks Curtis, 

Yes I have been to this link before and followed instructions for Customising the Toolbox but it has no effect on my problem

Richard

ps In the meantime while I wait for a resposnse to my feedback on VB08 I have downloaded and installed Microsoft Small Basic.  This seems like my sort of stuff and it is running with no problems at all even if my registry may be corrupted.

Onwards and Upwards

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:57 PM
  • Did you check the registry settings that I posted earlier?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=reset%20visual%20studio%20toolbox&ac=3

One solution reported that this issue can be caused by a wireless mouse.  Fix: reset the mouse.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Qoute from anoter post Did you try this? "

hey, had the same problem....dunno if the answer is a bit late but anyhow...

reinstalled VS still didnt work, buth then did this and fixed it....

if you right click on one of the toolbox control headings, (common controls for example) and select reset toolbox

then right click again and  select show all....

then they will be all displayed (with them greyed out, i know......)

then right click again and select Reset Toolbox....should take about 30 seconds and they will all reappear

(i also selected list view along the way somewhere when doin the above) - i am not sure why it fixed it, but i just think the combination above somehow resets it and gives you back  all the functionality.......anyway worked for me...hope it does for you!!!!

Goodluck

Bill"

By right clicking on the control heading dividers may instagate the reset with different parameters then what is instageted when you reset from the tools menu.

curtis

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Did you check the registry settings that I posted earlier?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=reset%20visual%20studio%20toolbox&ac=3

One solution reported that this issue can be caused by a wireless mouse.  Fix: reset the mouse.

Thanks Rudedog

I have disabled the wireless mouse that I did have connected (and keyboard) > removed mouse/keyboardusb wireless > connected wired keyboard and mouse > problem still exists.  I think the posts recommending this as a fix related to having Vista as your OS.  I am using XP.

Also I had previously deleted the four toolbox items as suggested in a post in your link but toolbox item did not restore themselves as problem still exists.

I do not know any other registry setting fixes as the DevEnv fix seems to relate to resetting the registry settings for Visual Studio not Visual Basic.  I am a little vague on this so further help appreciated.

Richard

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:46 AM
  • if you right click on one of the toolbox control headings, (common controls for example) and select reset toolbox

then right click again and  select show all....

then they will be all displayed (with them greyed out, i know......)

then right click again and select Reset Toolbox....should take about 30 seconds and they will all reappear

Tried this also with out success

Richard

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 6:48 AM
  • test to see if thread is now closed
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 7:17 AM
  • Hi!

You need Reset "Windows Layout" to fix a Toolbox.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:18 AM
  • You need Reset "Windows Layout" to fix a Toolbox.

Tried this before and again now - does not give access to Toolbox

Richard

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Does your computer meet the minimum hardware requirements to run Visual Studio?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Your system did not meet the  minimum hardware requirements.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/4c26cc39.aspx

Are you still trying to make it work on the machine that did not meet the minimum requirements? 

If so, then forget about it.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Sorry for the delay in posting Rudedog.

The machine I am installing on is the one referred to above with the 3Ghz processor,    This meets the minimum system requirements no problem. 

I am not doing a reinstall of the OS on this PC until I have had some feedback from the support request I submitted which I have not yet received at the time of this post. 

I decided not to bother with an attempted installation of VB Express 08 on the PC that may have not met the system requirements.

Richard

Friday, April 23, 2010 2:25 AM
  • Hey Again I found a reference to the toolbox that i really don't understand but here it is. I found in a note It says to reset the toolbox go to imports and exports under tools on the menu. There is a reset all settings there. I guess its worth a try.

Curtis

• Edited by Curtis UN Friday, April 23, 2010 4:47 AM Remove link it redirected wrong and willnot correct
    Friday, April 23, 2010 4:45 AM
  • Sorry Curtis Tools > Import and Export Settings > Reset All Settings did not give me access to Items in the Toolbox.  Still no reply to my request for Support.

Richard

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Thanks for your help Curtis.  I went to your link and although I could not find the exact place to submit feedback for VB08 I submitted feedback in the Visual Studio + NET Framework 4   https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/550541/microsoft-visual-basic-2008-express-edition-file-new-project-windows-form-application-cannot-access-toolbox-items?wa=wsignin1.0area and added a note that if this was the wrong place could they please forward it to the correct department.  I don't knoow what will happen but lets hope it gets to someone with a solution.  You may be able to access the report by going to this link and signing in, if not here is a summary of what it contains.

I am looking for support with an installation of Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition that I downloaded from Microsoft.  If this is not the correct place for this request could you please inform me where I can gain a solution to this problem.

Open Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition > File > New Project > Windows Form Application > OK > (Toolbox is empty of tools except for the cursor/pointer tool)

File > New Project > Windows Form Application > OK > Right Click Toolbox Console (List View and Show All selected) > (Toolbox is empty of tools except for the cursor/pointer tool)

File > New Project > Windows Form Application > OK > Right Click Toolbox Console > Reset Toolbox > OK > (Toolbox Default Settings Will be restored) > YES > (Toolbox is empty of tools except for the cursor/pointer tool)

File > New Project > Windows Form Application > OK > Right Click Toolbox Console > Choose Items > (Choose Toolbox Items Window contains an error message "An error occurred loading this property page") > Reset > (Toolbox default settings will be restored.  All custom toolbox items will be removed.  Continue) > YES > (Toolbox is empty of tools except for the cursor/pointer tool)

I have started a thread in the MSDN Forums    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvb/thread/c8d031cf-96e5-4d8a-8428-4d3b150efc6c  and followed all suggestions by readers of the thread but am still unable to access the Toolbox contents whilst in Design View of a windows form Application.

I will keep you posted of any contact I get from this feedback.

Richard

No reply received for this request for support from Microsoft to date. 16 October 2010 six months later. Richard
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 7:54 AM
  • hi Beginner,

I just don't know what to say about the support, But if it were me I think I would check to make sure my system isn't out of spec with what is needed for operation of the VB then I would do a complete clean install of My operating system and then install VB 2010 version I used this for about 6 months and had no problems. Also Make sure when you do install VB you stop all applications that are running, Turn your antivirus and fire wall off during install. This sometimes causes problems. Other than that I just don't know.

Curtis

Saturday, October 16, 2010 11:10 AM
  • Richard,

I went to the link you you posted to Microsoft Connect. In the upper left coner they posted" Resoveld Not Reproducable" If you look at the small I icon at the right of this and hover the mouse over it will give a reason they could not help. So they did take a look and respond.

Here is the reason they gave for not being able to help is they could not reproduce the problem.

Curtis

Saturday, October 16, 2010 3:58 PM
  •  

Six months on from making the original post a window appeared on another user of the PC desktop without any other programmes running or notifications of updates informing them that " Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition is configuring the Environment for first time use.  This might take a few minutes " then Hey Presto I can access tools in the programme which were not previously available.  Around eight months to install a program.  Not bad hey.  I had not uninstalled Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition or performed any remedial actions and had given up ever being able to use this programme.

Any suggestions for how to go about learning to use this program gratefully received and thanks to everyone who tried to help with replies to me posts.  Thanks again.

RLR
    Tuesday, December 07, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Hi,

Most likely what happened is a service was turned off and the other user used something that turned it back on and this allowed the VB to finish installing and setting up.

As to learning To use the VB there is a lot of Training videos that is published by Microsoft and others. There is a VB for biginners at http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/net/vbnet.html That will get you started.

Curtis

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 11:09 PM