none
Cannot open your default e-mail folers. Microsoft Exchange is not available.Either there are network problems or the Exchange computer is down

Question

• Hello. We recently had a hardware problem on an Exchange Server. We then set up a new server and moved all the mailboxes to a the new server.However, tow of these did not go across successfully. However, somehow they are now on the new server and can be accessed via web mail.However this is not possible via Outlook and the message we get is:
    Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the outlook window. the set of folders cannont be opened. You must connect to Microsoft Exchange with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offiline folder file.

I have notice the following patterns.Of the 5 mailboxes that did not migrated correctly, when I try to configure a profile i get the following message:
    "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Microsoft Exchange is not available. either there are network problems or the exchange computer is down for maintenance."

When I create a new mailbox I am also able to access it via outlook web access but when trying to use outlook to open the mialbox I get the followin error:

"Cannot open your default e-mail folers. Microsoft Exchange is not available.Either there are network problems or the Exchange computer is down"

Also, strangely enough, I have been able to fix the problem for 3 mailboxes so far simply by moving them from one store to the other and back but this does not work for other mailboxes                                     
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 10:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Waloofer,

Any updates?

Since the new-created mailbox cannot be access via Outlook, please check whether the Microsoft Exchange services are running or not.

Please also run Exbpa to do a Health Check.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:53 AM
    Monday, July 09, 2012 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hello

Please try the following to see if it solves the problem for those users:

1. Log on to the Client Access server (CAS) to which the users are connected, and then locate the following folder that stores the log file: 
      C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Logging\RPC Client Access
    2. Open the RCA-<var>YYYYMMDD-X</var>.log file, and then search events that are related to the users in question. For example, you find the following information:
      /O=Contoso/OU=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=USERTest' ,,,12.0.6315.5000,,170.12.8.90,fe80::78dd:fc1:9cb8:2e72%11,ncacn_ip_tcp,Connect,0,,,RpcDispatch: Unable to map userDn '/O=Contoso/OU=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=USERTest' to exchangePrincipal (StoreError=UnknownUser)
      '/O=Contoso/OU=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=USERTest' ,,,12.0.6315.5000,,170.12.8.90,fe80::78dd:fc1:9cb8:2e72%11,ncacn_ip_tcp,Connect,0,,,RpcDispatch: Unable to map userDn '/O=Contoso/OU=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=USERTest' to exchangePrincipal (StoreError=UnknownUser)
    3. Copy the LegacyexchangeDn information of the user. For example, copy the following:
      /O=Contoso/OU=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=USERTest
    4. In Active Directory Users and Computer (ADUC), right-click the domain object, and then click Find.
    5. Click the list next to Find, and then select Custom search.
    6. Click Advanced, type the following Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) statement under Enter LDAP query, and then click Find Now:

(proxyaddresses=X500:/O=Contoso/OU=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=USERTest)C
    7. Determine whether any duplicate users are returned.
    8. Check the X500 address of any returned users, and then remove the duplicate proxy address for those users.

Friday, July 06, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Try the below links out and see if it resolve your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2006508

Girishp

Saturday, July 07, 2012 6:46 AM
  • Hi Waloofer,

Any updates?

Since the new-created mailbox cannot be access via Outlook, please check whether the Microsoft Exchange services are running or not.

Please also run Exbpa to do a Health Check.

Frank Wang

• Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:53 AM
    Monday, July 09, 2012 6:24 AM
  • Hi Waloofer,

Any updates?

Frank Wang

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:50 AM
  • Delete all out look profiles in your client PC (Control Panel Mail)

Restart the pc

Then go to exchange server

in Service manager restart 

"Microsoft Exchange System Attendant" Service

again in Client PC Create out Look

Evrthng will be ok

• Edited by Aji123456 Saturday, September 01, 2012 7:02 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Aji123456 Thursday, September 06, 2012 6:46 AM
    Saturday, September 01, 2012 7:01 AM
  • Delete all out look profiles in your client PC (Control Panel Mail)

Restart the pc

Then go to exchange server

in Service manager restart 

"Microsoft Exchange System Attendant" Service

again in Client PC Create out Look

Evrthng will be ok

Thursday, September 06, 2012 6:46 AM
  • I have followed Ajan resolution below and this resolves for user X temporarily but when User X loggs off domain and then back on the problem reappears. I am not getting this behavior for any other user at this time... any suggestions
    Monday, January 14, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Thank you! Very helpful!
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:53 AM