none
When web site provisioning fails, how long does the requested url remain unavailable?

Question

• On Friday, I tried a few times to create a web site in West US region. In all cases, provisioning failed. I eventually created the site in the North Central US region, but all of the URLs I used in the failed sites in the West US region were (and still are) no longer available.  How long are those URLs going to be reserved, and is there anything I can do to make them available again?

I can provide my subscription ID and the urls in question if necessary.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 10:29 PM

All replies

• I'm trying to follow something very similar to the steps on http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/net/tutorials/web-site-with-sql-database/.  When I try to create the website, it appears to exist for about a minute, then it's just gone.  The management console shows 0 websites again.  When I try to recreate it with the same name, the system now claims the name is in use.  Do I have a partially created site somewhere?
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 6:03 AM
  • Update:  I tried again from the web and got a notification that provisioning failed:

Cannot contact server to determine the state of web site 'gungatest2'.

I also created a free 20MB DB with this site.  That creation succeeded without any trouble.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 6:10 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description, the sentence "the management console shows 0 websites", do you use Azure portal to see these information?  You have created web site with the name 'gungatest2', May I know you have resolved your issue? It is difficult to reproduce your issue, from my experience, we can try to reopen the IE and clean cookies and sessions, then try again. Hope it helps, if any further information, please feel free to let me know. 

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 13, 2014 6:29 AM
  • Yes I was using the Azure portal. It appears the provisioning was failing in the US West region. When I tried in the US North East region, it succeeded without any problems. I've opened a separate thread here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsazure/en-US/c8929769-4100-4165-951b-901559668627/when-web-site-provisioning-fails-how-long-does-the-requested-url-remain-unavailable?forum=windowsazurewebsitespreview

with a follow-up question.

Monday, January 13, 2014 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

>>but all of the URLs I used in the failed sites in the West US region were (and still are) no longer available.

Do you mean the failed website was missing, we can't see it in Azure portal, and can't create a new one with the same name? If I misunderstand, please feel free to let me know.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 13, 2014 6:49 AM
  • That is exactly correct.  Example urls that are still unavailable:

boltzenberg

gunga

gungatest1

gungatest2

gungatest5

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:17 AM
  • Hello Jon,

l can verify if the sites that you are trying to create still exist in the backend. Please send an email to WAWSForums microsoft dot com, with the following information:

• Subscription ID:
    • WebSite Name(s):
    • WebSite Mode:
    • Number of Instances:
    • Data Center/Stamp:
    • Production Site: Y/N
    • Time when problem happened:

Thank you,

Madiha

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 4:14 PM
  • Hello Johh,
    We were able to modify this on the server side, can you please verify if you are able to create the website now.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 12:27 AM
  • Hi, could you verify the same for website http://pawdly.azurewebsites.net/?

I have the same problem, and can't recreate the site. It probably isn't entirely deleted on the backend?

Thank you!

Saturday, April 26, 2014 1:24 PM