Poll: Metro on the Desktop (November Edition)

General discussion

• As of December 2, 2011, this poll is closed. Please do not reply to this thread with a vote - any future votes will not be counted in the tally. See my post at the bottom of the page for more information.

The Windows Developer Preview has been out for over a month. One of the most controversial changes has been Microsoft's new Metro-style design, with a new user interface, new app platform, and new visual styles.

Microsoft has written multiple blog posts in defense of the new UI now, and most users of this forum have likely had the opportunity to read them.

Now that you have had the opportunity to use it for a long time and have read Steven Sinofsky's blog posts on this issue, how do you like it? Do you:

1. Like it?

2. Dislike it?

Or are you:

3. Ambivalent?

For the moment, I will not state my opinion here because I want to hear your ideas. Please describe what you like and don't like about the design, as well as stating, in bold text, which number in the list of possible responses applies to you. It will be easier for everyone to read this way. Please note that this discussion is primarliy intended for a discussion of Metro with mice, keyboards, and trackpads, though you are welcome to share your thoughts on the tablet experience as well. Please try to be complete, as I am hoping that this post will be able to provide Microsoft with a true picture of what is good, what is bad, and why this is true.

Monday, November 07, 2011 9:13 PM

All replies

• Like it.

However, it could use quite a few improvements.

Monday, November 07, 2011 10:50 PM
  • Tablets

i think metro is perfect for tablets in both looks and usability and it will be a hit with the casual user on ARM based tablets for those who spend most of their lives on facebook and twitter and reading emails, playing games as with all tablets. 

Desktop

i also think it can be a success on the desktop but not in its current form because personally i find in incredibly frustrating not to use but being forced into it each time i need to launch a new program and my productivity level is down to about a third of what it is when im on windows 7.  the constant frustration of having to flip back and forth from desktop to metro realy makes my armpits itch and i find myself longing for my beloved start menu every few minutes.  im an active developer for metro and as with every i create i need access to my collection of graphics and audio programs and i like to keep everything on screen where i can see it and it all use to be so quick and easy but that just doesnt happen with the start screen and instead ive had to clutter up my desktop with shortcut icons to my most used programs and files so i dont have to access the start screen but even thats a problem because i hate having my desktop cluttered up.

microsoft can solve my problems and everyone else whos frustrated about the start screen by simply making the start menu optional by having a setting in control panel or taskbar properties and i think it would look and work great if they kept the start menu where it is and just added a metro button next to it and then everyone is happy.  we can then use windows and the start menu as we always have and when we want to use metro we can do if we choose too.  microsoft said we should think of desktop as an app but for desktop users it should be the other way around and metro should be an app that we launch when WE want to use it not when we are FORCED to use it.  metro should be the primary display zone for tablet installations but the desktop should be the primary zone for desktop installations.

alright so maybe devided at the moment with 50% of people mainly made up of casual / new users who love metro and who are not developers and spend most of their time on facebook email and msn and the other 50% mainly made up of developers and hardcore users who like metro but hate what its doing to their productivity usability levels.  i dont know what changed have been made since the preview and we will probably only find that out in the beta but the preview is a great OS and if it had a start menu and metro was a user launchable extra on the desktop that it would be an almost perfect OS but dont build windows 8 and end up losing 50% of your customers which also speaking on behalf of all metro developers that would be 50% of our customers lost aswell which is bad for us all.

@WindowsVista567 just to clarify my answer to your topic i think metro is a great feature and looking past the obvious start menu issue and other minor problems which should hopefully be fixed in the beta i think windows 8 with metro will be a great operating system. x

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 4:30 AM
  • I've been using it offline rather than signing into live each time (in case MS is looking up my usage).

For a tablet: It's fine, the squares are a little ugly and I'm concerned about every tile becoming an ad for another product by the app maker. It's a bit simplistic but O.K.

For a PC:

I hate it... absolutely revile it.  It's an abominationI cannot tell you how much I loathe this UI.

"What is this feeling, so sudden,and new? I felt the moment I laid eyes on you. My pulse is rushing. My head is reeling. My face is flushing. What is this feeling? Fervid as a flame, does it have a name? Yes............
    Loathing! Unadulterated loathing!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLh0H3qpqxU

Full screen apps only... huge blocks... poor mouse/keyboard/trackpad support. Taking over a 30 inch monitor to launch a calculator is horrible, metro kills drag and drop. - I can't begin to tell you how much I despise trying to use this on a PC. Metro apps can't fully share with windowed counterparts Metro apps can't be run at the size I WANT only in MS approved sizes - This will confuse the hell out of users Few visual cues to demonstrate functionality - Loud colors icons with constant "updates" screaming for attention like a 3 year old yelling, "Look at me!!!Look at me!!!" It's like scattering your clothes all over the floor... it's hard to find anything you actually want. Windows 7 is like a dresser, it's organized. No plugins in metro but plugins on desktop, No file management in Metro, but it's on the desktop. configuration management puts me back in the desktop.... why would I ever WANT to use a system that limits my control when I can do everything it offers and more on the desktop (aside from live tiles which COULD have been coded to work on the desktop).

No gadgets for the few items I actually WANT to see updates on The UI is insipid and uninspired. MS could have gone with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHPo5JPObq8 instead of this childish attempt at a UI. Microsoft wants into the tablet market and this is the only way they can get people to transition over to their tablet UI. Instead of creativity and leadership that makes us want to use windows on a tablet, they have to cram this down our throats.

I won't be developing 2 UI's and Desktop does everything I need without dominating a whole screen.

There's 3 reasons to upgrade:

• Fast booting
    • 1 Button Rebuild
    • Better file copying

10 reasons Not to upgrade:

• Horrible UI - Loss of control of my environment
    • Limited resizing of apps Mouse/keyboard/trackpad support is weak (this could improve)
    • Need to buy an app twice one metro one desktop to have full functionality
    • Jarring transition to launch an app
    • Tabbing through every open app instead of clicking once on the taskbar
    • Common tasks take more steps
    • UI that may be touch intuitive but is NOT mouse/keyboard intuitive
    • Every icon screaming for attention Pointless
    • UI change when I have to go to the desktop to manipulate data
    • Inability to run all my apps in windows that I control the size of
    • I could go on for an hour but I'm trying to limit myself to ~10 and I've already gone over.
    Linux is looking better and better, even Apple doesn't try and force a tablet OS on a PC. Welcome back MS BOB.... will Clippy be coming back too?

• Edited by Bladehawk Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:31 AM
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:17 AM
  • LIKE METRO APPs very much

MISS a consistent METRO touch language through whole Win 8

MISS close APP

DONT LIKE Marketplace

HATE HTML and Javascript as favorit replacement of XAML and .NET language

HATE communication strategy of Microsoft regarding Windows 8

WISH integrate (xInvoke) WinRT to .NET

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 6:27 AM
  • On a touch style tablet: Ambivalent  (I'm ambivalent because I don't have a touch device for personal use and if I did it would be Android.  At work our 10,000 computers are also non-touch style, so having a touch designed interface is pretty useless to us.)

On a desktop/laptop:  Dislike it  (Because it's annoying, ugly, inconvenient to use, disfunctional, and looks like a childs toy.  And also because Metro is the reason Microsoft removed the most functional thing in Windows which was the Start Menu on the Desktop and no Aero anymore.)

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 2:04 PM
  • 1. Like it?

Definitely.   This could be what I have been waiting for.

I use one computer, a Tablet in slate mode docked to a powered USB hub and a widescreen monitor attached to the Tablet's VGA port.   The hub runs my wireless keyboard and wireless mouse.   In W7 my Tablet display has been primarily black, not having much use.   In W8, it is finally being used--as being my Start screen, reading screen (great for quick scanning) as well as play area <w>.

If I didn't have the Tablet for running the Start screen I suppose it would be a bit harder to get used to having to press Win- (or Ctrl-Esc) to flip to it and back.   ; )

There are some things currently missing in the Start screen which I think I could customize better even now but in terms of adjusting to the switch from the Start menu to the Start screen I can give an example that I originally added the Desktop toolbar to my Taskbar thinking that I would need it as a poor substitute for the missing functionality.   In fact, I hardly use it, currently making do with the Search Apps functionality instead.

As far as task switching goes I use Aero in the Taskbar or Alt-Tab as ever.   I'm hoping (and expecting) that Task Manager will be improved to enable some kind of Go to from it too.   FWIW I find the current method of peeking at another app on the left quirky and unusable, especially in a multi-monitor extended display setting like I have.  E.g. in order to use it I have to switch Projector display modes to either Disconnect or Duplicate (via Win-P or the Devices pane).   However, only slate users will really have deal with it and even they could work around it if the Task Manager was enhanced in the way I mentioned.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 3:08 PM
  • I am mostly in the Like it camp.

There are obvious limitations that must be address but I can see it working, even on the desktop.

Right now, the Dev Preview feels broken because there are no useful metro apps (aside IE). When you go to the Start screen, it is to launch a desktop app, so obviously, people miss the Start menu in that context. The real test of how well the new Start screen will work on desktop will come when the app store opens and we can find most of the things we do as metro apps.

It will also be interesting to see how well the two co-exist. There are activities that are better suited to full screen experience (like watching movies or browsing photo albums or playing big games) and there are others that fits with the desktop windows paradigm (like using the calculator).

Regarding productivity, the main impact that Windows 8 has on programmers or graphic designers (or any other "pros") is that when they want to launch another app, they get a full screen Start page which seems distracting. How much of a deal breaker that is, I do not know. One thing is for sure, from an emotional point of view, the change is going to be rough on some people.

And regarding HTML5 vs C#/XAML, Microsoft has been hyping HTML5 a lot recently because it is the new thing. The same way that they have been hyping Metro. That's what you do when you have a new thing and you want the whole world to know about it. That doesn't mean that C# and desktop apps are any less valuable.

Pierre Henri Kuate.
    Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:19 PM
  • @ Amy GX

Here's a Win 8 Start Menu project for you to build!

http://richman1211.deviantart.com/#/d4do25q

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Tablet - Like it!

Desktop - Ambivalent until the beta.

I dual booted my T901 and I really like it on the tablet though I immediately missed the task bar and found serial app switching by swiping pretty annoying. Regarding Metro Apps, and even from the demo apps, you can see the great potential for some nice apps. I would love a really functional Metro style RSS reader for example.

I'm running the Dev Preview in virtual window on my desktop and found it a little disorienting. Visually the Strat Screen on my 30" Monitor looked like an enormous playing card for the visually impaired. Having to toggle back to the Start Screen to launch an app was a bit of a pain. Maybe it's something I can get used to and I'm generally pretty tolerant of UI design, but I admit I've had many thoughts of digging out my favorite links to some taskbar augmentations that allow pinning things like folders and mini app lauch menus to it.

Apart from the Metro UI, I think the general list of improvements to Win 8 is pretty impressive but still hope some long standing issues (issues imho) are resolved. It's a long list but as examples - the difficulty of relocating libraries to drives other than c:\ or the inordinately long time required to kill a task, process or program, and malformed dialoque boxes and icaon bars when using scaling such as 125%, 150% etc.. on larger displays. And a long list of other nice to haves I'll probably never see - like when you drop down the "close" menu from the top left corner of windows have a 1/2 dozen preset window sizes to reduce dragging windows corners.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 10:36 PM
  • 3. Ambivalent.

Tiles too big(*) in my opinion, and also visually could be improved to not be squares, but borderless, giving each app a contour according to it's design will make them more quickly recognizeable.  

*) Making tiles/icons smaller will have an effect on readablility, this can be addressed by making use of the "hover mouse" action to expand icons to full size and optionally outlining them with a color coded border to further enhance quick recognition.   Making use of the scroll wheel to let the user shrink or expand the _default size_ of any tile/icon would additionally give the user easy control on customization on how their desktop and apps looks. 

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 10:58 PM
  • The real test of how well the new Start screen will work on desktop will come when the app store opens and we can find most of the things we do as metro apps.

We don't have wait that long.   It looks like one category which can be readily added as tiles is  Desktop shortcuts (aka .lnk files).   I haven't been able to add a button for  ProcMon yet, though I did try using the  Process Monitor.lnk  file created by pinning it to my Taskbar.   If that worked, by also having different Taskbar layouts for each monitor I might expect to be able to use my Tablet's Taskbar as a staging area and then keep my main Taskbar clean.   E.g. make the Tablet one multi-line and auto-hide.   ; )

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 11:10 PM
  • @ Amy GX

Here's a Win 8 Start Menu project for you to build!

http://richman1211.deviantart.com/#/d4do25q

@TheRichman - that looks really good and an interesting start menu concept that would work quite well in windows 8 desktop mode.  x

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 11:55 PM
  • Thanks @Amy Gx,

If you code it I better get a free copy ;)

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:54 AM
  • @TheRichman

This Start Menu idea just seems like a rearranged version of the existing one, with a lot of ideas that cannot be shown in a picture. Honestly, I don't like the idea of having to pick and choose which apps are displayed on a Start Menu or Start Screen, because Windows currently does a great job of doing that for me (in XP/Vista/7). I prefer the Windows XP/Vista way of using the Start Menu over "pinned" apps on the taskbar or customizing the Start Screen manually.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 1:32 AM
  • Tablet - Like it. I don't own a tablet, but I think Metro should be very good for small touch screens.

Desktop - Dislike it for two main reasons:
    1. I often need to have more than 2 applications visible on the screen and I can't do it in Metro.
    2. I can't switch between open applications with one click, like with the taskbar.
    3. The third reason would be the inability to close apps without Task Manager, but they already promised to fix it.

I like the sandbox concept of Metro apps, but the desktop experience is so much more convenient for me. Why should I use two UIs if one suits all my needs? I hope we won't be forced to use Metro whether we like it or not.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:08 AM
  • @WindowsVista564

"This Start Menu idea just seems like a rearranged version of the existing one"

Not sure if you meant "rearranged version" of the existing Start Screen or Start Menu. It is clearly a rearranged (or re-displayed actually) version of the Start Screen but in the form of the Start Menu on the desktop. Assuming, as I did, that the Start Menu will be gone, this was intended as a way to bring some (not all) of it's functionality back. And assuming, as I did, that the new Start Screen is going to stay, and it will be the place you organize your Apps into groups (like it or not), this was intended to simply re-display what you will have already organized on the Start Screen - the place you will organize your apps - again like it or not. I'm not trying to tell Microsoft how to change the UI, it was concept to augment it like the many other 3rd party UI augmentations that exist.

"with a lot of ideas that cannot be shown in a picture."

I think the picture pretty much speaks for itself and in case it didn't I added the explanatory comments. I have yet to layout the all configurable options which would include some more explanations.

"Honestly, I don't like the idea of having to pick and choose which apps are displayed on a Start Menu or Start Screen, because Windows currently does a great job of doing that for me (in XP/Vista/7)."

Again, I assumed the Start Screen isn't going away and it will be the primary place in Win 8 where you organize your Apps, Tiles, Links, whatever. Regarding picking and choosing which apps are displayed in the Start Menu, you have to do that now - at least in Win 7 - I skipped over Vista. Unless you use the most recent programs option which I don't. You do have to pin Apps that you want to the Start Menu and I wouldn't call the "All Programs" area something that works well - at least not for me, and it's the menu I visit least and usually just use search rather than digging through it. Also, other than the Control Panel the entire right side of the Start Menu is simply shortcuts to areas in the Explorer so I just launch the Explorer. I won't try and cover the bazillion other failings (or things that could be improved) with the current Start Menu. Steven covered that prety extensively already. Overall though, while I like the quick pop up / overlay of the Start Menu to launch my top 10, 15, whatever apps, it doesn't have many strengths beyond that.

"I prefer the Windows XP/Vista way of using the Start Menu over "pinned" apps on the taskbar or customizing the Start Screen manually."

Again, the Start Screen isn't going anywhere, and at some point you (or me at least) will want to customize the Start Screen. The groups that installations make for themselves (like they do in the start menu) are never how I would leave them. So the idea was to simply re-display as Start Menu on the desktop what you will already have organized on the Start Screen.

I do agree that pinned apps on the toolbar are not that usefull (to me). Especially since I have to right click to open another instance of one after you launch it once - also why I would like Tabbed documents inside things like MS Office Apps. On a tablet it's even more an issue for me because I try and devote as much taskbar space as possible to running apps for quick switching. The only thing I pin is the Explorer and IE. This way in that inch or two of space are my apps, the web, and the Explorer - files, network locations, libraries, computer, homegroup, etc...

Anyway, like I said, it was a concept to augment what I saw in the Dev preview. Even if MS allows you to re-enable the old Start Menu I actually wouldn't mind using my version anyways simply for the quickly mouse or touch scrollable list of all the Apps I arrange into groups on the Start Screen.

• Edited by TheRichman Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:34 PM formatting edit
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:23 AM
  • I do agree that pinned apps on the toolbar are not that usefull (to me). Especially since I have to right click to open another instance of one after you launch it once  

Middleclick it.

---

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 5:24 AM
  • Metro is a bile, ugly piece of boiled CRAP. period! Regardless of the platform.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:52 AM
  • I do agree that pinned apps on the toolbar are not that usefull (to me). Especially since I have to right click to open another instance of one after you launch it once  

Middleclick it.

---

Yeah more an issue on a tablet or laptop trackpad with 2 mouse buttons I guess.
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:37 PM
  • @TheRichman

What I meant was that your Start Menu idea didn't seem that different from what we have now - it's like moving from XP's Start Menu to Windows 2000's (that's not a typo), which is not a huge difference. I meant that it looked like a reorganized version of the Start Menu, not the Start Screen. Even if that's not exactly what it was, that's what it looked like to me. Of course, it's hard to tell from a picture, and the picture in my mind of what your other ideas looked like was probably different from yours.

Quote:

"Regardindg picking and choosing which apps are displayed in the Start Menu, you have to do that now - at least in Win 7 - I skipped over Vista. Unless you use the most recent programs option which I don't."

I used Vista as my primary operating system for three years, and I liked it. The only apps that I pin to the Start Menu are my Internet browser and e-mail program, which is a setting that Windows 7 should have kept from Windows Vista and Windows XP. Sadly, Windows 7 can no longer update the e-mail and Internet links based on the default browser setting, so I have to change it manually - a step backwards, in my opinion, which is strange given the addition of the Jump List feature. I still launch most of the programs on my computer from the Most Frequently Used list, or with Start Search. Occasionaly, I will use a Desktop icon or a button that is pinned to the taskbar. Metro seems to be designed around the assumption that people don't use the Start Menu, which is not true for me. Don't forget, most modern computers are laptops, but my primary PC and the one I am using to type this is a desktop, which is the oldest of all the PC form factors. This means that I use a mouse, not a trackpad.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 9:19 PM
  • no worries @WindowsVista567 and forgot to say thanks for the little poll here - I liked reading everyone's comments. If nothing else, it's great MS is soliciting feedback and we'll have to wait and see the Beta. Worst case, maybe re-enabling the Start Menu will be a simple registry hack or group policy setting - who knows. Very worse case (if it's completely gone) I'm sure Devs will jump in and offer after-market versions.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 10:55 PM
  • On tablets, slates it needs some work but i think i would like it.

On a typical desktop the continuity breaks when starting multiple apps for workflow makes the Metro UI less convenient then what we have in windows 7 no matter how much math or biometric data you throw at it.     Dislike on desktops!

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 11:00 PM
  • These are the final results of the poll. This post will not receive any more updates.

12 dislikes

8 likes

3 Ambivalent

Posts that can be hard to classify:

I do not count votes for liking or disliking the UI on tablets, since this is a poll on Metro on the desktop. Good feedback, though.

"I like it, but it needs a lot of work" comments are hard to classify, since most of them seem like a mix of "like" and "dislike." These are generally counted as "like" or "ambivalent."

Because the poll is closed, I will not make any changes to the tally.

Friday, November 11, 2011 8:49 PM
  • @WindowsVista567  sorry i thought i explained in my post.

on a tablet metro will be great and an instant winner and an apple, android beater

on a desktop it will still be great but only as a casual 'app' that people will use now and then.  when i get up in a morning and logon to my pc the first thing i do each and every day is check my emails and favorite sites to see whats been going on while i was asleep and i suspect thats what most people do aswell as check their facebook and twitter pages and i think thats how i will mainly use metro as a type of portal displaying my latest emails, site updates facebooks and tweets on startup but it will quickly be shafted in favor of my desktop and i wont be using it for anything else during the day. 

so after all my rambling you can put me down as dislike on the desktop but i want to make it clear that i do like metro its a great addition to windows but in its current form its just not practical on a desktop x

• Edited by Amy Gx Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:51 PM
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Metro on the desktop - DISLIKE

That decision could be reversed if MS implemented a fraction of the ideas people have been posting on here.

I'm actually running W8 on a tablet with keyboard dock but for the purposes of this poll I moved the screen out of reach (so no 'touch' cheating) and used external keyboard and mouse.

Problems:

1. Mouse support is patchy and seems to be implemented (or not) by individual programmers of the sample Apps

Solution: Microsoft W8 developers - put a sheet of glass between you and your touch screen and use W8 for a week with a mouse

2. Start Screen to Desktop transition is a jarring experience

Solution: Aero version of start screen that zooms in over your existing application / desktop - See WindowsVista's thread on Aero

3. Full screen apps on a big screen look silly (or put it another way - I haven't seen a Metro app that benefits from a big screen yet)

Solution: Let Metro apps run in a window (again see WindowsVista other threads)

Good stuff:

1. I like the new Search, when you fix the 'files' searching it'll be great

2. W8 is fast

3. W8's version of aero is nice and simple and doesn't get in the way of me using the applications I use daily (read that as I don't find it visually distracting)

4. Metro is a great tablet UI, it's clean and simple and to my eyes it's a beautiful UI. Edge swiping is great (but you need to sort out task switching). Pretty good effort for a Developer Preview.

Acer W500 tablet & dock, New 'works' Lenovo laptop Too much apple stuff. Remember: A Developer Preview is just that, a preview for developers - not everything will work 'just right' on day 1.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 2:32 AM
  • Dislike it immensely.

Keep it on tablets, but keep it off my desktop.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 8:10 PM
  • I like it.

Everything is already very well integrated.

The biggest thing Metro style design was applied to is Start. I usually use the search function (as early as in Windows Vista and 7) to launch my apps. I sometimes use Metro style apps because of their nice look and feel, but the most time I stick to the Desktop -- I believe. However I do not think that this is a such problem as many users states. Start is what it is. It is about starting applications. And with Metro suddenly everyone complains about that it will break their workflows. I cannot really understand their concerns. The best thing is to place the most relevant apps on the first screen of Start and use Start as what it is supposed to be. Second, using the keyboard to search for the right app is even more efficient.

The only thing I would appreciate some improvements of are the Metro style menus. By the touch input method it is really easy to swipe from the top or bottom. But to rightclick in order to bring up the menu bars is a bit clumsy. The charm menu could shine a light. As soon as the mouse arrives to the left bottom corner it appears. Maybe something similar could be done for the other menus of Metro, so that they emerge just as the mouse arrives to top or bottom edge.

The charm concept is pretty nice. It interlinks Metro apps. And I used it sometime for tweeting some interesting articles on the web (just the link-shortener of Twitter should be applied). I even like the concept of life tiles. They sometimes give me interesting news, and thus I appreciate them.

I think, Microsoft can tweak their next operation system a little bit further; integrating Metro more into the Desktop, and so on, however Metro was by and large the right decision.

Monday, November 14, 2011 11:48 PM
  • Don't like it on the desktop, at least how it is currently implemented without desktop start menu.

Like it on a tablet.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:59 PM
  • I like both the Start and Desktop.

Waiting for the beta to be released.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:18 AM
  • I'ld say that on a desktop (a mouse/keyboard-first environment), metro is completely pointless.

Don't remember who it was, but a blogger called the system "schizofrenic" during the build event.  The more time that passes, the more I agree with that statement.

I have been using win8 as a primary OS for a while at home and the ONLY times I went into metro (aside from the first 'explore win8' phase) was when I wanted to do a search - and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Not necessarily because of the search itself, but simply because it covered my whole screen.

It's completely ridiculous.

I also loath the fact that I can't use ANY of the metro-goodies in desktop applications.

I blows my mind that you can log into windows with a live ID and NOT use all the cloud services that become available through that login.

I love the idea of having both systems on one machine (thinking about HW possibilites like samsung sliding 7, dockings with extra power/battery/HDMI outputs, etc) but if THIS is the way they do it, then they might just as well build 2 seperate systems.

I'ld instantly turn to the "like it" camp if they would change the desktop so that it builds upon win7 - with a normal start menu and a single button that takes you instantly back to metro.

Forcing a touch-first UI into a mouse-first word is simply retarded and counter productive.

I have no desire to click gigantic buttons with 40pt text labels on them and even less desire to even see such controls on my 27" monitors.

If microsoft leaves it as-is, I predict that the most used "plugin" on windows 8 will be the one that disables metro and injects a traditional start menu.

So, in conclusion, it's a definate "dislike" for me, although it would be very easy for microsoft to pull me over to the "like" camp.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:26 PM
  • I have been using win8 as a primary OS for a while at home and the ONLY times I went into metro (aside from the first 'explore win8' phase) was when I wanted to do a search - and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Not necessarily because of the search itself, but simply because it covered my whole screen.

I wonder why searching in fullscreen annoys you.

I also loath the fact that I can't use ANY of the metro-goodies in desktop applications.

This is not quite true. Metro guidelines are applied to Desktop and a few Metro style menus and popus are already there. But I agree with you, there is still a long way to go to bring other Metro goodies to Desktop.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 12:05 PM
  • I wonder why searching in fullscreen annoys you

Well, first of all, when it displays the results...  90% of the "full screen" screen is EMPTY, which is a terrible waste of screeen real-estate.

Secondly, it's a terrible flow breaker.   Your whole display, where you are actually doing your work, is completely covered up by a screen filled with "live" tiles in all sorts of colors with all sorts of animated information on them.  This is incredibly distracting and makes you even forget what you were gonna search for half the time.  And that's actually psychology: because the ENTIRE display changes, your brain does a "reset" to start a new session of "memories" to "save".  The same effect is accomplished when you go from one room to the next.  This is why a lot of times when you go to a room for a specific reason, you forget what that reason was upon entering the room and you wonder "eum... why did I come here again?".

Third, 99% of the time, the "search" isn't actually used to really 'search' something (in the sense of "now, where did I put this again...").  No.  Most of the time, you allready know exactly what you are looking for and actually also know exactly where you can find it.  Going through the search functionality is just faster.  Suppose all I want to do is start Word.  It's not pinned because I don't use it often enough.  So you can either simply search for the word "word", making the application the first (and oftenly the only) result to pop up... or you can go to C:\Program Files\Office\...  etc.  It really makes no sense to having to LEAVE the desktop to enter a FULL SCREEN 27" search functionality that holds one textbox with the word "word" and ONE result entry for "word.exe".     As the vast, vast, vast majority of windows searches are but a 'quick' way to open up a specific application, file, whatever,...  the vast, vast, vast majority of result-sets will be no bigger then 2-3 items.  It's completely moronic to force a 27" screen down my throath to.... show me 3 icons with a label.

Metro guidelines are applied to Desktop and a few Metro style menus and popus are already there.

What I meant was that you can't call WinRT api's from desktop applications.  There is LOTS of stuff in WinRT which would be really great to access through desktop code.

But you can't.

• Edited by Aroush Friday, November 18, 2011 2:22 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:22 PM
  • The mouse control needs some work, but otherwise I really like it.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:14 AM
  • I'm more or less ambivalent about most of the changes. The OS seems to be slick and fast. However, as someone who has liked every new Microsoft OS better than the last (except ME; yes, I even championed Vista) I have some major problems with Windows 8:

I have Windows 8 running on a non-touch notebook, and basically, what I've found is that there are too many non-intuitive behaviors.

• Metro apps: Right-clicking to bring up options is non-intuitive. When you see something slide off the top or bottom of the page, you want to move the mouse there to get it to reappear (like a hidden taskbar). Users have been trained to do this for years. Right-clicking is about the last thing a user would think to do. This is especially problematic in Web pages (like OWA) that capture the right click for their own use.
    • With most metro apps, when you click their tile, you switch to the app where you left off. With pinned sites, IE10 opens a new tab, even if you have that site already open.
    • With no way to close a metro app, alt-tabbing through the list of all running apps becomes a pain.
    • The Windows 8 PC is like two devices with two operating systems. Users have to think in two different paradigms--metro, and desktop.
    • The little preview you get when you move the mouse to the left edge of the screen is confusing. First, it's a mini preview of some running app, but what qualifies that particular app to be there? Second, it's similar to Aero peek, but doesn't work the same way. If I want to click it (or drag it) my instinct is to move my mouse over the picture, toward the center of mass (like you do to click Aero previews or even tiles on the Start page). When I do that, it goes away. Clicking the left edge of the screen is not intuitive at all. I feel like I'm clicking something I can't see.
    • Using Win+i to bring up application settings is totally non-intuitive. Without any visual clue, users won't even know there are application settings to be had.
    • The whole point of pinning sites to the Start menu (or taskbar) in Windows 7 was so that they would behave more like programs (having their own space on the taskbar, participating in alt-tab task switching). (That was an outstanding feature, by the way.) With sites pinned to the Start page, they now all get lumped in under Internet Explorer again.
    • Pop-ups on the desktop give no indication when using metro apps. For example, an Outlook reminder could go totally unnoticed if the user doesn't happen to switch back to the desktop. That is very bad.
    • The fact that metro apps automatically close can be a problem. I was reading a post in the Designing Windows 8 blog in the News app, and switched to IE to look something up. When I went to switch back to News, it was gone. I had to re-open it, and navigate back to the post I was reading.

To clarify. This is a dislike for Windows 8 on the desktop.
    • Edited by Bryan Sullo Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:19 PM Clarification
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Thank you for posting your feedback. It's been a great discussion, but I am now going to close this poll. This means that I will no longer update the tally of votes. Ideally, this thread should be locked, but I am not a moderator and I do not have the ability to lock it. Please do not post any more votes to this thread.

Friday, December 02, 2011 9:36 PM