none
Nothing shows in Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Biometric Devices page

Question

• Hi,

I'm looking at an issue where our biometric device seems to work fine in Windows 7, but nothing shows up in the Biometric Devices page in the control panel.  It shows up fine on Windows 8.  Could someone indicate what type of failure would cause the device not to be displayed?  BTW, if the Windows Biometric Service is stopped and restarted, the device shows up ok.

Thanks,

Doug Allen

Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:47 AM

Answers

• >> One thing I noticed, though, is that the last time the biometric unit is created, it's for a private pool. 

Ah, that's the missing fact.

Yes, the Bio CPL only manages bio devices that can be used for sign-in (or related Windows authentication actions). This means System Pool sensors only. Private Pool sensors by definition can't be used for Windows authentication, so the Bio CPL ignores them completely. That's why they're not showing up.

A Private Pool sensor only remain "private" as long as some client has an open session containing the sensor. When that session is closed, the sensor migrates back to the System Pool (assuming it's configured to work in the System Pool). So it sounds like you've got some component that's keeping a Private Pool session open and hanging on to the sensor, until it gets forcibly closed by shutting down the bio service.

Regards,
    Art Baker
    Senior Software Engineer - Windows Security

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Doug,

Just to be clear: When you open the Bio CPL, you are seeing the message, "Windows did not find any biometric devices on this computer. You might need to attach your device or install device drivers." Is that correct?

Do you already have the Bio Control Panel page open at the time you plug in the FP reader? One difference between Win 7 and Win 8 is that the Win 7 Bio Control panel doesn't respond to device arrival notifications. So if a new bio sensor becomes available while the page is displayed, it won't show up. You have to navigate away from the page and back again for the device to appear.

Have you looked in the Event Log for biometric messages? (You need to enable biometric event logging in the Event Viewer for these messages to appear.) Is the bio service indicating that it was able to find and configure your device successfully?

Does this only happen on the very first invocation of Bio CPL after device installation, or can you make it repeat whenever you start the Bio Control Panel?

Can you provide any additional details about the exact sequence of steps you're performing? It's a little difficult to diagnose the issue from the description.

Regards,
    Art Baker

Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Hi Art,

No, when the page 'Control Panel --> All Control Panel Items --> Biometric Devices page' is opened, it's just a blank page.  I'll have to check with the tester on the sequence.  I'll ask them to try to navigate away from the page and then back again.  Yes, I did check the biometric event log and the messages seemed to indicate that the biounit was created successfully.  Our FP device is embedded, so it doesn't get plugged in, but I will check to see if the page is opened before the device arrival and also if it happens for the first invocation or is repeatable.

Regards,

Doug Allen

• Edited by TPMDeveloper Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:50 PM typo
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:45 PM
  • Hi Art,

I got some more information on the issue.  If the CPL window is closed and reopened, it's still blank.  If the Windows Biometric Service is stopped and restarted, the bio device shows up in the window, but if you reboot, the window is once again blank.  One thing I noticed, though, is that the last time the biometric unit is created, it's for a private pool.  Would this cause it to not appear in the CPL window?

Thanks,

Doug

Friday, July 19, 2013 8:01 PM
  • >> One thing I noticed, though, is that the last time the biometric unit is created, it's for a private pool. 

Ah, that's the missing fact.

Yes, the Bio CPL only manages bio devices that can be used for sign-in (or related Windows authentication actions). This means System Pool sensors only. Private Pool sensors by definition can't be used for Windows authentication, so the Bio CPL ignores them completely. That's why they're not showing up.

A Private Pool sensor only remain "private" as long as some client has an open session containing the sensor. When that session is closed, the sensor migrates back to the System Pool (assuming it's configured to work in the System Pool). So it sounds like you've got some component that's keeping a Private Pool session open and hanging on to the sensor, until it gets forcibly closed by shutting down the bio service.

Regards,
    Art Baker

Monday, July 22, 2013 6:01 PM
  • Hi Art,

Thanks for confirming this.  It sounds like this is working as expected.

Regards,

Doug Allen

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 4:58 PM