none
VB.net with data in both SQL Server/Access - use Sharepoint?

Question

• I've been tasked with developing a Visual Studio application to replace an Access database.  Currently, the user uses the Access db on her desktop but occasionally copies it to her laptop to take offsite.  When she comes back, she copies the db from the laptop to her desktop.  She'll need to do the same with the app.

Developing a web app is not an option.  There's no internet where she goes offsite.  This would be a great situation for a web app, IMHO.

Boss wants the data to be stored in SQL Server onsite.  My thinking is that I would develop a winforms app and provide her a way to copy the SQL data to an Access db on the laptop, along with the app.  When she uses her laptop, she'll be using the Access db as data storage.  When she returns, I'll have to provide her a way to transfer the data from Access back to SQL Server.

With older versions of Access, there was replication.  I think this is a good case for it.  Now there is Sharepoint, which I understand should be used instead of replication (???)

Is Sharepoint the method I want to use?  Are there other alternatives?

Thanks for any advice.

Kris Hood

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can consider to use SQL Express that also support replication.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151819%28v=sql.105%29.aspx

Regards,
    Christian HL
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by db_dweeb Monday, July 08, 2013 6:53 PM
    Friday, July 05, 2013 1:58 AM