VS11 (2012) Profiler not producing any Call Tree Data (Win 8 64)

Question

• Hello,

I'm having a problem with the profiler not coming up with any data at all, I don't get any errors during preparation. We're doing a CPU Sampling and profiling seems overall going as expected, just that there are no results. I'm trying to profile a DLL we made, I have all source available, run the EXE which loads the DLL, I can see the DLL is doing its job but no results. I ran VS as Admin, but no difference.

Any suggestions ? Thank you for your time.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:59 PM

Answers

• Thank you Jack, Jared, I appreciate your assistance in this strange matter,

I filed it,

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/771324/vs2012-profiler-not-producing-any-call-tree-data-win-8-64

Friday, November 16, 2012 6:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

I am moving your issue to the VS Profiler forum so that you can get better support.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:59 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

If possible, please check the Output window after you click "Start Profiling" in the Performance Explorer, and find the useful message. Not very sure that which kind of app you are profiling, if you create a simple app, does it work well? If you have other machine, whether it has the same issue?

If possible, I suggest you try to profile it in the command line, hope it could help.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa985628(v=vs.110).aspx

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Thank you Jack,

I appreciate your help. First, I try to profile a DLL which is loaded in a EXE, both 64 bit, but when I try a very simple application (an empty project so to say, which just opens a window) I get the same result.

The output in VS looks like this:

Profiling started.

Profiling process ID 940 (ConsoleApplication1).

Starting data collection. The output file is C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\ConsoleApplication1\ConsoleApplication1121108.vspx

Profiler stopping.

Stopping data collection.

Merging collection data. Please wait...

Data is saved in file C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\ConsoleApplication1\ConsoleApplication1121108.vspx

Profiling finished.

Profiling complete.

Which is from the very simple app, but I get the same for my original case (DLL in EXE). 

The Profiling window reads "Sample Profiling Report. 0 total samples collected. No Call Tree Data is available".

• Marked as answer by Peter Linne Monday, November 12, 2012 8:53 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Peter Linne Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:54 AM
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Hi Peter,

How about selecting the “Enable Tier Interaction Profiling”?

See Walkthrough: Using the Tier Interaction Profiler in Visual Studio Team System 2010.

I doubt that it is related to the “Just My Code” like this thread, maybe you could disable it, and check it again.

Have a nice weekend,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Friday, November 09, 2012 8:08 AM
  • Thank you Jack,

I checked that and there is no "Tier Interaction Profiling" available here (see below picture), moreover JMC was _disabled_ by default. I tried enabling it, just to see, and it did not make any difference, no call tree data available.

Edit: The forum wont let me insert the image, so I just explain: In Properties for the Target I only have the entries Launch, Instrumentation, Advanced, but _not_ Tier Interactions as shown in the walkthrough.

Have a good weekend too, though this one dives me nuts :-/ 

Friday, November 09, 2012 10:46 AM
  • You say this is a really simple app? I know in VS 2010 (and earlier) that really simple apps wouldn't do enough work to create any sort of trace data. A lot changed with VS 2012, but I don't know if that's still true or not.

Try having a spinning loop for a few seconds, for no good reason, to see if it'll pick up on that.

Friday, November 09, 2012 4:03 PM
  • No, Jared,

thats a misunderstanding. Thank you for jumping in, but the DLL i try to profile does a lot of CPU intensive work, I've been profiling this before in VS2005 with 3rd party profilers, there is plenty of calling going on. I just tried a simple app as Jack suggested (and even that has a bit of code which should have been able to trace). Thanks anyway

Friday, November 09, 2012 4:14 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Whether you could see the “Show All Code” in your Sample Profiling Report like the following screen shot? If have, please click it, and then select the Call Tree, check it again.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Peter Linne Monday, November 12, 2012 8:47 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Peter Linne Monday, November 12, 2012 8:51 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Hi Jack,

I appreciate your help. In case I enable "Just my Code" i indeed get that "Show all Code" option, however, clicking it brings me to exactly the same result as when running with "Just My Code" disabled:

(I really wish I could insert an image for you, its so much easier, but I always get "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account." ... whatever this means :-D)

So the profiling window reads: "Sample Profiling Report. 0 total samples collected. No Call Tree Data is available" Thats all, no links, no images, no further info.

Thank you

Peter

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Glad to receive your reply.

I try to profile a simple WPF app with VS2012 in Windows 8, I could profile it like the following screen shot.

If you have other machine, I suggest you try to profile it and check it again, if possible, you could send your project to jackzhai at Hotmail dot com. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:49 AM
  • Hi Jack,

thanks for still hanging in, I more and more believe there must be something utterly stupid I'm doing wrong. I cannot send you the project I initially tried, but the PeopleTrax example you linked to earlier is also producing no output here. However, I doubt its useful to send it to you :) Thats what it produces:

Profiling started.
    Profiling process ID 2344 (PeopleTrax).
    Starting data collection. The output file is C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\PeopleTrax\PeopleTrax121113.vspx
    Profiler stopping.
    Stopping data collection.
    Merging collection data. Please wait...
    Data is saved in file C:\Users\Peter\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\PeopleTrax\PeopleTrax121113.vspx
    Profiling finished.
    Profiling complete.

The VSPX file is 47 kb in size, does that sound good or bad ? Maybe all data is there but just not shown ? 

I currently have no other Win 8 machine to test upon, and I#m not sure if it helps much if I get it going on my main dev machine on Win 7. Is there any logfile I can look up or any verbose setting or similar to bring some light into the mysterious darkness of the process ? 

Thank you

Peter

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 12:11 PM
  • Is there an etl file that's generated with the trace?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Thanks for asking Jared,

there is no file with extension etl in the project folders. I can see a few on this system, but I dont think they relate to the project. I can see some in

C:\Windows\Inf

and

C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft\...

Opening with Performance Analyzer none of them look related.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:40 PM
  • The etl files would have been sitting right next to the vsp. I profiled a small app, and got back the error that no data was generated, and I noticed that there weren't any .etl files. Then I added a spin for 5 seconds loop, and .etl files were generated and I didn't get the error again.

Are you receiving UAC prompts when launching the profiler?

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Thanks Jared,

as I said, the initial DLL is far from doing nothing. Also PeopleTrax example does pin a few seconds, I even externded it with some fance stuff, all makes no difference, no output. 

What I noticed is that without profiler it runs in 28 seconds (filling the people list, with my slightly extended code) and with profiler just 1.5 seconds longer, could that be right ? 

And no, no UAC prompts when launching profiler, it all went perfectly smooth. 

Anyone with an idea on how to get some info from profiler where it runs into trouble ? Any log or verbose option ? 

Thursday, November 15, 2012 11:57 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Since I couldn’t repro this issue, to get the issue confirmed and diagnose by product team, would you please create connect report for it? You will get email notification for update.http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

If you submit it, you could share us the link here, I will help you vote it. Thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice weekend,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Friday, November 16, 2012 4:48 AM
  • Thank you Jack, Jared, I appreciate your assistance in this strange matter,

I filed it,

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/771324/vs2012-profiler-not-producing-any-call-tree-data-win-8-64

Friday, November 16, 2012 6:25 AM
  • I have the same symptoms when I run vs2012 in admin mode Under win 8 64. Instrumentation does not work and is really fast (the program seems not to be called). Sampling works fine.

When I run it in non admin mode, it works fine but some options are not available

• Edited by red_burgundy Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:25 AM
    Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:24 AM