<C:\DOCUME~1\32329\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\bootstrap.exe>. Reason: C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll

Question

• I am getting this error whenever i try to install MSN messenger .

<C:\DOCUME~1\32329\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\ Bootstrap.exe>. Reason: C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll

I tried installing VBrun 6.0 for the latest version of advpack. dll , but still i am not able to install the messenger as it gives me the same error.

can anyone help?

Monday, June 26, 2006 2:24 AM

All replies

• Try installing the latest version of installer.
    Monday, June 26, 2006 11:16 AM
  • I have the same problem and installing installer doesn't help. I wish there was a clear solution to this problem because it is a HUGE issue. Please someone help.
    Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:29 PM
  •  yea i have the same problem with bootstrap.exe. every time i try to install msn live i get:

bootstrap has caused an error in bootstrap.exe. Bootstrap will now close. then it wont install?? what can i do

i run window ME

Thursday, November 02, 2006 6:24 AM
  • Yes,this seems to be an huge issue, and to upgrade the installer to v.2 didn´t help me either, still

gets this fail messeges when I´m trying to install Messenger of any version :Error creating process<c:\dokume-1\blokala-1\temp\ixp000.tmp\bootstrap.exe>.Reason:can´t find path

Monday, November 06, 2006 9:13 AM
  • I also have this problem, but I have overcome it by using WinRAR to manually extract it myself, and then installing MSN Messenger. I do not know the cause of it or if there is an actual solution, but this works for me. I am able to use MSN except the whiteboard or any of the activities, which may/may not be due to this. Hope this was some help. xxx
    Sunday, November 12, 2006 9:34 PM
  • I managed to do an temp. solution by executing the install file which are in the temp file (hidden ) while the error message are displayed. This method also worked for installing directX which also caused me some error messenges.

Regards Viglo

Sunday, November 12, 2006 10:02 PM
  • Just before i do anymore work and get stressed out trying to install it, does windows live messenger work on Windows ME (Millenium Edition), and is there anything i have to install to my computer for it to work on my ME computer, or does it just not work... period...?
    Monday, November 13, 2006 1:22 AM
  • do not trust automatic updater, go to microsoft update page and get the latest installer. I had the same problem, it work for me.
    Saturday, January 13, 2007 4:11 AM
  •  hey,

i have the same problem  and i dont know what to do about it.  i have tried everything.  im not much of a cumputer genius, so i need some help.  the error that keeps coming up is:

BOOTSTRAP caused an exception c06d007eH in module BOOTSTRAP.EXE at 0177:0100d728.

Registers:

EAX=0056ece0 CS=0177 EIP=0100d728 EFLGS=00000246

EBX=00000000 SS=017f ESP=0056ec84 EBP=0056ecd4

ECX=0056ec90 DS=017f ESI=0100dc74 FS=305f

EDX=819471a8 ES=017f EDI=00000000 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

8b 45 d8 e9 f3 00 00 00 57 ff 75 e8 ff 15 48 10

Stack dump:

00000001 00000103 00000000 00000024 0100dc74 0100ff70 01002cb0 00000001 0100dcbe 00000000 00000000 0000001f 819471a8 bff899f7 01010bd8 00000001

any help would be great.

shej.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:44 PM
  • yes, messenger does work on milleniun edition because i have got it.  only now its not working because of an error called BOOTSTRAP.EXE.?  i would take caution if i were you and try and get a new version like xp. theres the answer to your question.  hope it helped!
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:50 PM
  •  Abhijeet Karle wrote:

I am getting this error whenever i try to install MSN messenger .

<C:\DOCUME~1\32329\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\ Bootstrap.exe>. Reason: C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll

I tried installing VBrun 6.0 for the latest version of advpack. dll , but still i am not able to install the messenger as it gives me the same error.

can anyone help?

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 10:51 AM
  • Has anyone found a solution yet? I have the same problem...

When I try to install Windows Live Messenger, I get the following message:

"The ordinal 730 could not be located ub the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll"

" Bootstrap.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows"

I would really like to install windows live messenger, I tried everything I know, downloaded the new installer, but it didn't work. Please help me!

Christien

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:35 PM
  • what worked for me was to reboot your computer.  then try installing different versions of messenger.  if it works first time then great, but that wasnt the case for me.  i had to try different versions before it worked.  iv got 7.0 at the moment.  i hope this has helped.   (if not reply to this again and i'll try n help again. lol.)
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:11 PM
  • I get exactly the same message.  Please can someone help me.  If you reply to this desparate cry for help, assume that I have the computer skills of a young chimpanzee, who i am told can play pacman. 

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:55 PM
  • my problem is slightly different. 

my messenger does work but after about half an hour into using it, it closes itself. 

its very awkward explaining it to my mates that it goes offlineby itself. 

also, everytime i write in my personal messege, the messege used to stay even if i turned the computer off, but now it dosent save it. 

is ther anything that can help me with these problems.

thnx......

Thursday, April 05, 2007 10:56 AM
  • I went to this website and installed a lower version..like 6 and it automatically updated to the latest version.. http://www.oldversion.com/program.php/n=msnm
    Friday, April 06, 2007 3:40 PM
  • Another thing you may wish to look at is if its telling you it cannot find a path relating to the IXP000.tmp or bootstrap.exe, consider this, "after you have re-installed windows XP and are going through the set up motions of internet questions ect, when it comes to "choosing a user name" it will not recognise any sympbols in front of a nic name such as #,@ ,~ of this nature

if its looking for an old name lets say the last user name to log on to your pc was "butch" you may need to re-instate that name again or another name as long as there is no symbols before the name. Otherwise you will not be able to install anything regardning programs of msn or microsoft.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 7:52 AM
  • can't install msn messenger
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 5:18 AM
  • Well when and done this and was told I was not running windows, but running MAC.  lmao
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 3:11 AM
  • Go to http://www.oldversion.com/download, download a earlier version of Msn messenger, then when you install and open it, you will get the prompt to install the lastest versnion. Install the new version, It works, god knows how and why.. Guess Microsoft is the 10th wonder of the world..
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 6:10 AM
  • I was getting the SHELL.32 error message with Bootstrap.exe in the title bar. Just wanted to let you know that downloading an older version of messenger and then upgrading when promted worked a treat! well chuffed cause i'd tried everything else, including downloading new installer. i'm on windows 2000 just in case you need to know.

Thanks alot.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:32 PM
  • ihave a similar problem but its about installing .net framework 2.0

an error comes up and the reason is C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll

i got a ati graphics card and i was trying to install its software which is catalyst control center but it required .net framework 2.0 which i cant install

is there a way to get around this???????

Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:03 AM
  • Well, I think I found the problem.
    I went to Oldversion.com en I tried to install MSN Messenger 8.0 (actually the newest version).
    That's Windows Live Messenger. In order to download that version, you need Windows XP.
    For anyone with Windows 2000, who wants Windows Live Messenger: Stop trying, it isn't possible to download that version. Except when you update your computer to Windows XP.
    Good luck everyone!

Christien
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:54 PM
  • I believe I only sent you the last message, would copy-paste it for me and post it on the forum?
    I don't remember everything I wrote... Thanks a lot!!!

Christien
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:58 PM
  • I have the solution!!

I got this error in vista, here is how i fixed it:

Download the installer from here (dont run):

http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch/en-GB/

Extract the files using winrar rather then running the actual installer (if you have winrar, right click on the file and select 'extrat here'

Do into the extracted folder and run the setup

Hey presto windows live messenger is installed Smile

Sunday, May 06, 2007 3:03 PM
  • Try downloading Bootstrap.exe from download3k.com the link is http://www.download3k.com/i-write/Download-Free-Bootstrap.exe.html
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:29 PM
  • using winRAR to extract WMP 11 exe into a folder did the trick! THANK YOU!!!
    Monday, May 14, 2007 2:17 AM
  • i dont no but i get the same prob when i try 2 download msn messenger live
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:16 PM
  • necito saber como demonios resuelvo este error alguien ayudeme mandeme un correo a jeshurdav@hotmail.com por favor estoy desesperadooooooooo
    Monday, June 11, 2007 5:16 AM
  • i no exactly how u feel. i hav dsl and i run window ME. i hav da new version of msn and i don't no how to use the messenger. so i went to im messenger on da home page, clikd on "join" and it took almost 2 HOURS to download. then i tried to use it and it also said "bootstrap has caused an error in bootstratp.EXE bootstrap will now close." and i get so p.o.ed cuz it won't download and i can't chat wit my frends. wat can fix dis flippn problem? 
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 6:04 PM
  • im really not sure if its goin to use the 64bit interface unless u program it to use it..
    Friday, June 15, 2007 8:35 AM
  • Just before i do anymore work and get stressed out trying to install it, does windows live messenger work on Windows ME (Millenium Edition), and is there anything i have to install to my computer for it to work on my ME computer, or does it just not work... period...?
    Friday, June 15, 2007 8:36 AM
  • it depends on what version you've got.  if you havent gt xp then its not going to work.  i had the same problem n realised that i needed xp for it to wrk.  hpe this has helped.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 4:10 PM
  • the problem iz probly that you dont have xp....cuz u need that for the new versions to wrk.  if you have gt xp then i dont no wat the problem iz ....sorry. hpe it helped.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 4:12 PM
  • hi i have found how to fix this problem if u type in to google bootstrap.exe fix and download a program called iwrite this repairs the prblem
    Monday, September 03, 2007 3:10 PM
  • Hello,

I suggest you try to delete ALL files and folders in your temporary folder. Open a command prompt and type set t and press enter to see the temporary folder. Probably C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Temp

It worked for me.

Best regards

/Magnus

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:24 PM
  • i downloaded iwrite and how is it meant to help?!? Tongue Tied also, i have pretty much the same problem.

Bootstrap has caused an error in

BOOTSTRAP.EXE.

Bootstrap will now close.

If you continue to experience problems,

try restarting your computer.

i've tried restarting my computer and that never helped either. if any one knows how to fix email me at daniel1feeney@hotmail.com also, explain it clearly or i'll get confused

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Hi,

Did you try my suggestion:

Hello,

I suggest you try to delete ALL files and folders in your temporary folder. Open a command prompt and type set t and press enter to see the temporary folder. Probably C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Temp

It worked for me.

Best regards

/Magnus

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:47 AM
  • how do you open a command prompt?

Sunday, October 07, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Found this answer:

"Window Live Messenger doesn't support Window 2000. Its for XP and Vista olny"

Here:http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=71569&pid=787875#pid787875

In a round about way they say to go get 7.0 instead of Live... anything newer than v7.0 is for XP and newer. Windows 2000 and older needs 7.0 or older.

Looks to be true based on what I am reading in the system requirements for 7.5 and 8.x Live.

Get 7.0 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=47&p=5&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=d78f2ff1-79ea-4066-8ba0-ddbed94864fc&u=details.aspx%3ffamilyid%3dCF49C56C-8B3E-4EAE-9904-9505F47BED45%26displaylang%3den

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:52 PM
  •  

Hello!

I made it work.

Here it goes how to make it work:

1- Delete the folders c:\program files\Microsft MSN & c:\documents and settings\$username\application data\microsoft\miscosft MSN

2- Do not attempt to update by MSN autoupdate. Go to Msn website and download the executable file.

3- Open the .EXE file with winrar and extract the file MsnMsgs.msi

4- Execute the MsnMsgs.msi and voilá! ;-)

I hope it help!

Good luck!

Sunday, October 21, 2007 12:29 AM
  • Hi there

This is a huge mind twister! I also have the same problem you have.. Ati 9250 and the Catalyst doesn´t open. Framework2 neither. This is crazyyyyy.. did u find a way round?
    Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:55 PM
  •  SIlvia Munoz wrote:
    Hi there

This is a huge mind twister! I also have the same problem you have.. Ati 9250 and the Catalyst doesn´t open. Framework2 neither. This is crazyyyyy.. did u find a way round?

Please read earlier post before you post your question, several people have made solution that have worked for them.

Try t first.

BR Viglo

Thursday, February 07, 2008 12:47 AM
  •  Abhijeet Karle wrote:

I am getting this error whenever i try to install MSN messenger .

can anyone help?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:49 AM