Lastpass - how will it work in Win8?

All replies

• I'm a big fan of LastPass too. I don't use IE today because I prefer how Chrome handles the LastPass plug-in. I haven't configured LastPass to work on my HP TouchPad yet and consequently I don't use the tablet very much because I can't know how to log into most of the websites I use (I'll finally get LastPass working on my Touchpad this weekend).

But the message I got from the blog article was that I could use IE10 desktop-style with plug-ins or Metro-style without plug-ins. So I guess I'll not be using Metro-style IE10 very much then.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Me too. Lastpass++
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:10 PM
  • Microsoft really needs to build in or allow some sort of support for LastPass-like tools. That would also be great for users like us because websites would make sure their log in processes work well with it. I love LastPass, but there are quite a few websites that don't really mesh well with LastPass. I've been trying to get my wife to use LastPass and it's hard because so many sites just don't flow smoothly. And I still want the browser independence of LastPass so it works with Chrome and Firefox.

I'd love to see Microsoft buy LastPass and then take the password generation/encryption/sharing of LastPass, combined with the bookmark sharing of XMarks, roll it into the cloud integration with LiveID/SkyDrive, and give it an public API. Then you'd have bookmarks and good passwords shared across all your devices and browsers. LastPass has shown that this is possible -- it just needs an 800 lb. gorilla like Microsoft to create an infrastructure to push it to the masses.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:32 PM
  • I'd definitely be looking at contracts for providing this functionality, and not just to IE10 either.  A 'Credentials' contract could allow any application to make use of LastPass (or similar) tools, the built-in credentials manager could implement this same contract.  Then any time an application asks for a username/password it'll auto-complete using the (user selectable) default provider while giving you the option to use credentials from a different provider instead.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 4:22 AM
  • I'd definitely be looking at contracts for providing this functionality, and not just to IE10 either.  A 'Credentials' contract could allow any application to make use of LastPass (or similar) tools, the built-in credentials manager could implement this same contract.  Then any time an application asks for a username/password it'll auto-complete using the (user selectable) default provider while giving you the option to use credentials from a different provider instead.

I watched keynote2 earlier today and saw an interesting demo ("Margie's travel") where your credentials roam across different win8 machine. Now, I knew all about the fact that they were going to let application settings roam but letting credentials roam was new to me - very interesting.

Unfortunately its not a substitute for Lastpass because its only for Win8 machines (actually only for the new Metro-style apps on Win8)...but its interesting nonetheless.

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Jamie Thomson
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:10 AM
  • Contracts would be a poor substitute -- LastPass does a lot more including filling out forms, things you really don't want to be doing if you're using a touch interface.  (The less typing the better).  

I don't see the rationale behind blocking all extensions -- perhaps blocking non-touch capable plugins makes sense but then provide a way for the others to run.  If this is simply a desire to have ARM tablets act exactly the same as Metro IE on Windows 8 on x86 that's misguided.    Is there any sense if this decision is final or just a beta limitation?

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Form filling could easily be accomplished using the same method (but perhaps a different contract) and the secure notes (along with editing/viewing passwords, form fields, etc. that you do from the vault) could be accessable from a tile in the start screen, which would be preferable to having to open up the browser to access the vault anyway. Personally the only plugins I have running in IE are LastPass, Live sign-in assistant, Silverlight, Java (which rarely gets used, if ever) and Flash. 2 of those could be replaced by contracts and the other 3 can mostly be replaced by HTML5 (for the sort of browsing you'd be doing on a tablet anyway).
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:11 PM
  • for this kind of information storage by apps, investigate the app data roaming in Metro, also available through SkyDrive APIs - that's the mechanism the credential roaming uses and it's available to other apps...
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:20 AM
  • for this kind of information storage by apps, investigate the app data roaming in Metro, also available through SkyDrive APIs - that's the mechanism the credential roaming uses and it's available to other apps...

Hi Mary,

I'm actually watching the BUILD presentations on those topics (i.e. Single sign-on, Skydrive APIs, app data roaming) even as I write - and there is some pretty compelling stuff in there. This doesn't solve the problems that Lastpass solves though, specifically:

• Lastpass works across platform (i.e. not just on Windows)
    • Lastpass doesn't require the website owner to do anything to enable

That's two big reasons why we still need Lastpass.

Regards
    Jamie

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Jamie Thomson
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:44 AM
  • You can always use desktop IE to use LastPass. It's only Metro style IE that doesn't allow plugins.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:37 AM
  • Except that the times you want to use Metro IE are generally the same times you want to avoid a keyboard as much as possible...
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:08 AM
  • If we're on a tablet, why do we have to settle for a stripped down experience, or use an experience that isn't tailored to the device? It seems Microsoft is working to eliminate choice.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:04 PM
  • I don't think it's that they want a stripped down tablet experience, I'm guessing that it's a technical issue. Plugins like LastPass, Flash, and Silverlight have to be compiled for the specific machine architecture they're running under. So it's not like you're writing a plugin for Internet Explorer, you're writing a bunch of plugins for x86 Intel, x64 Intel, 32 bit ARM, 64 bit ARM, etc. This hasn't been an issue for IE in the past because everyone only used x86 Intel (Windows didn't run on anything else and nobody uses the 64 bit IE).

So instead of all Metro IE's working the same regardless of device you'd have to deal with plugins only working on some tablets (x86) but not others (ARM). It's bad enough that some tablets will run classic Windows applications and some won't. Then there'd be numerous sub-versions of the Metro stuff as well. I don't like Microsoft's choice to not support plugins, but I do sympathize with it. And let's face it, it's not like no-plugin-support has really hurt the iPad, so there's precedent for it.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:42 AM
  • Just looking at the LastPass website and they say on their Future Roadmap tab:

Longer Term

• Windows Login Replacement

LastPass will soon be tightly integrated not only with your browser, but also into your Windows operating system. You'll be able to sign into your Windows login account using your LastPass master password and once done, be automatically signed into LastPass.

Maybe a plug-in will not be required?

Grant

Friday, October 07, 2011 10:52 PM
  • Just looking at the LastPass website and they say on their Future Roadmap tab:

Longer Term

• Windows Login Replacement

LastPass will soon be tightly integrated not only with your browser, but also into your Windows operating system. You'll be able to sign into your Windows login account using your LastPass master password and once done, be automatically signed into LastPass.

Maybe a plug-in will not be required?

Grant

Hmmm...interesting. Will this allow Lastpass to work as it does today though? Regardless of whether we're auto-signed-in to lastpass surely there still needs to be a Lastpass add-in.

I'm intrigued nonetheless...

ObjectStorageHelper<T> – A WinRT utility for Windows 8 | http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Jamie Thomson
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:24 PM
  • You can always use desktop IE to use LastPass. It's only Metro style IE that doesn't allow plugins.

Why was this marked as an answer?

"Don't use metro-IE" is not an answer to the question "How do we use Lastpass in conjunction with metro IE?".

No disrespect to xpclient but I'm unmarking it as such. I get really annoyed when MSFT folks mark stuff as answered just to make the stats look good.

ObjectStorageHelper<T> – A WinRT utility for Windows 8 | http://sqlblog.com/blogs/jamie_thomson/ | @jamiet | About me
    Jamie Thomson
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:29 PM
  • Metro-IE is plugin free, so you have no chance to use Lastpass in Meto-IE.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:00 PM
  • Steven Sinofsky has a new post on the Building Windows 8 blog related to passwords. It's at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/12/14/protecting-your-digital-identity.aspx.

Saturday, December 17, 2011 1:56 AM