none
Adding reference to National Weather Service SOAP

Question

• I am running vb 2012 on a Windows 8 machine.  I am trying to add weather information from the National Weather Service (NWS).  I have followed steps to add the web service link found on the NWS web site.  I pasted the following link into the Add Web Reference dialog box:

http://graphical.weather.gov/xml/DWMLgen/wsdl/ndfdXML.wsdl

When I press the arrow on the right and either open or save the file I see a new window with the ndfdXML.wsdl file but I cannot add the reference to the project because both the Web reference name text box and the Add Reference button are grayed out.

Am I missing something simple?

RONATMOODYLAKE

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

I assume that you can’t add reference to National Weather Service. I tried you scenario in my VS2012 through creating a new and simple ASP.NET web form application, right click the app in solution explorer, select ‘Add Service Reference’, click ‘Advanced’ button in ‘Add Service Reference’ dialog, click ‘Add Web Reference’ button in ‘Service Reference Settings’ dialog, paste the service link into URL text box in ‘Add Web Reference’ dialog, click the arrow on the right, a window which introduces the file appear, on my side, the Web Reference name text box and Add Reference button are not grayed out. The service can be added into the web app after I click the Add Reference button.

Reference:

I am not sure how you add the service in Add Web Reference dialog.  I am not an ASP.NET expert, I did not get Add Web Reference dialog directly. I need to add web reference through adding service reference.

Please create a new and simple asp.net web app and follow my steps above to add the reference to check the result.  I doubt whether there is anything wrong with your current web app.

Also you can add the reference through selecting ‘Add Service Reference’ like:

If no help, please tell us the result of my suggestions.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:41 AM
  • Hi,

What about your issue now?

If you have resolved it, you can share the solution here, which will be beneficial for other members with the same issue.

If you did not, please tell us the result of my suggestion, I will try my best to help you.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, May 01, 2014 7:19 AM
  • Does not work.  Works exactly as you describe except that both the Web reference name text box and the Add Reference button are grayed out.

By the way, I do not see the option to create an ASP.Net form application, I only see:

Windows forms application, or

WPF application, or

Console application, or

Class library

as new project options.

I selected the Windows forms application.

RONATMOODYLAKE

Thursday, May 01, 2014 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I tried to add the web service into a Windows Forms application, I can do it successfully as I did with ASP.NET web application.

If you directly add it through ‘Add Service Reference’ dialog like my second image in the previous reply, whether you can add this reference successfully?

In order to check whether the issue is on the specific project, please restart your VS, recreate a new and simple Windows Forms app and add the service to check the result.

Because I can add the service successfully in my side, I doubt that there is anything wrong with your VS or your Windows Forms app.

If the issue won’t occur in a new windows forms app, I think the previous application was corrupted.

If the issue also will occur in other applications, I doubt that your VS is corrupted.

Please reset your VS settings through Tools->Import and Export settings->Reset all settings->….

If no help, I suggest running VS under safe mode using WDExpress.exe /safemode to avoid the impact from some third-party VSPackages.

If there are any errors when you operate VS under safe mode, please repair or reinstall your VS.

If the issue will disappear under safe mode, I suggest disabling those third-party VSPackages from Visual Studio.

In addition, sometimes anti-virus software may affect VS. If possible, please try to disable/close them temporarily and then work with VS to check the result.

Best regards,

Friday, May 02, 2014 2:02 AM
  • Still does not work.  I did exactly as you directed.  I reset VS settings also.  Text box and button still grayed out.  I did this after a complete reboot.  New project.  The only other applications running are Google Chrome.  It's ridiculous to have to run in safe mode to get this to work.  VS has a bug.  Period.

I will be willing to help you find it, but for now I am completely stuck.

RONATMOODYLAKE

Friday, May 02, 2014 11:51 AM
  • I noticed also that the list box under "Web services found at this URL:" is completely blank - that is a big difference and probably why I cannot proceed!

RONATMOODYLAKE

Friday, May 02, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Hi,

I am researching it, once I get some results, i will post here.

Monday, May 05, 2014 1:59 AM
  • Hi,

Running VS under safe mode is helpful for us to troubleshoot this issue.

I tried on another machine and I can add this web service successfully. You said that you did not get any information at the ‘Web Service at this URL’ text box, I doubt that maybe Visual Studio did not communicate this web service well. Please make sure your network is fine.

Not sure whether the issue is on VS or anything else caused this issue, so could you please add another web service on your side to check whether you can do it successfully?

If you will get the same issue, I doubt that there is anything wrong with your VS. Please repair or reinstall your VS.

Best regards,

Monday, May 05, 2014 5:48 AM
  • Please suggest another web service and I will try it.

RONATMOODYLAKE

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 3:21 AM
  • Hi,

Please try this web service: http://webservice.36wu.com/ExpressService.asmx

Note that you may need to change the web reference name rather than using the default one on ‘Add Web Reference’ dialog.

Best regards,

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 5:58 AM
  • That worked.  It found 1 web service (- ExpressService) and the Web reference name text box and Add Reference button are both enabled.  So maybe it's just the National Weather Service?

RONATMOODYLAKE

Tuesday, May 06, 2014 12:31 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe the issue is just on the National Weather Service. If there are other machines on your network, please try it on another machine with VS.

When you work with VS, please run your machine with admin and open VS as Admin to check the result. In order to check whether the issue is related to your VS, repairing or reinstalling your VS is worth trying.

Best regards,

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 7:01 AM
  • I tried this link:

http://graphical.weather.gov/xml/DWMLgen/schema/DWML.xsd

and it produced:

0 Services Found:

8 Datasets Found:

- ndfd_data
    - DWML
    - moreWeatherInformation
    - meta_data
    - time_layout
    - parameters

I do not know if this information is useful to me since no services were found.

What now?  Suggestions?

Bu the way, I am running Visual Basic Express 2012 for windows desktop.  Maybe I need another version?

RONATMOODYLAKE

Sunday, June 15, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Hi,

http://graphical.weather.gov/xml/DWMLgen/schema/DWML.xsd

The above address is not a service address, you should use the service address or the wsdl address for adding the web reference. Just have a try.

If you can't add the correct service address: http://graphical.weather.gov/xml/DWMLgen/wsdl/ndfdXML.wsdl because the original issue in VS, you can try to post your question to the https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio/ for more help.

Thanks.

Monday, June 16, 2014 5:02 AM
  • I may do that but for now I have given up on the National Weather Service.  I am getting weather from Yahoo.  Another example of how private enterprise always does it better than the government!

RONATMOODYLAKE

Monday, June 16, 2014 11:03 AM
  • Glad to see getting weather from Yahoo can work fine with you , thank you for your information.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:18 AM