Use Cases vs. Test Cases

General discussion

• 1) Do you find Use Cases beneficial? Who typically creates them? Architect, Business System Analyst, Project Manager, Developer, QA personel or End Users?

2) What attributes does a Use Case have that a Test Case would not have?

3) Do you bypass Use cases and just create Test Cases instead?

Thoughts appreaciated.

Test Manager allows us to push Test Case Creation out to non-developers (Business Analysts) for example.  If we allow them to create the High Level Test Cases and assign to QA or others to flush out details I'm think we don't need Use Cases (or VS Ultimate for non-developers)

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Monday, November 19, 2012 3:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Mr. Javaman II,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Since this forum is to discuss the VSTS testing issue, just to make this issue clearly, which kind of tools are you using?

Based on this document “Test Case”, I think you would get more information about test cases, about the Use Cases, I’m not very sure about it, how did you create it? Do you use other tool?

In addition, if you create the Test Cases with the MTM, I suggest you post this issue to Testing with Visual Studio Test Manager (MTM), there you would get better more useful information about the Test Cases. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 7:14 AM
  • Ok Jack please move this to MTM forum.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:18 PM
  • I've drawn this conclusion:

Use Cases/User Stories are high level.  They can be done by the user community or some one else during design phases.  Test Cases are not high level they flush out all detail and permutation.  So one solution for implementing Use Cases is to just allow Business Users to lay out high level User Stories in and Excel spreadsheet as they won't have access to VS Ultimate.

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Found an interesting Plug-in for PowerPoint Storyboards that integrates with TFS... 

This answers my question.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh409276(VS.110).aspx#link_storyboard

JP Cowboy Coders Unite!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:40 PM