none
"An error occurred during this operation". when attempting to print on IE8

Question

• "An error occurred during this operation". when attempting to print via asp.net report viewer control on IE8

SQL Server 2005 SP3 CU4 (9.00.4226.00)

report viewer redistributable 2005 SP1

any IE8 browser in "protected mode"

(issue also reproduced on SQL Server 2008 with latest SP/CU)

when clicking the print button we expect to get the print dialog window, instead we get a popup with the message "An error occurred during this operation". not a very descriptive message but we found that it was caused by "Protected Mode" being enabled.
    having end users configure trusted site settings or modify their security settings is not an acceptable solution for our client base.

see also this thread for similar issue with IE7 that was reportedly resolved by SQL SP.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsreportcontrols/thread/baf60983-900a-49bf-8fe8-c7efcd55759a

Anyone else experiencing this or have any further information about this issue?

-Derek @ TempWorks Software
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:32 PM

Answers

• The only thing I ever found that works is turning protected mode off temporary while I print. Incase you're not sure, click on the name at the bottom of the window closer to the time and zoom. Uncheck enable protected mode...press ok, close the browswer and then reopen it. Otherwise, all I get from certain companies and their input on what to do about the compatibility of some sites to print off of is revert to IE7. Well, I actually tried that and reformatting with Vista Premium, the two don't work for me either. Major sites I always have issues printing with are greeting card sites, I've never had any issues with printing from Office Word 2007 when protected mode is on.
    • Proposed as answer by TimeTrips Monday, February 01, 2010 5:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by DerekAtTempWorks Monday, February 01, 2010 6:20 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:29 PM

All replies

• We're still encountering this issue, I just can't seem to find much information out there on it, which seems odd as it would apear this should affect anyone using the web report viewer.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:59 PM
  • We are getting the same thing.  We recently installed the GDI+ service pack fix on both the server and on the Windows 7 client with no effect.  We are using SQL 2008 SP1.

During debugging this is where it gets stuck

<OBJECT ID="RSClientPrint" CLASSID="CLSID:5554DCB0-700B-498D-9B58-4E40E5814405" CODEBASE="/airportsusa/Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd?ReportSession=yl4ued55pbvcsv45gv12uv55&amp;ControlID=f40dbefff677470e9b15dc7aa4807b95&amp;Culture=1033&amp;UICulture=1033&amp;ReportStack=1&amp;OpType=PrintCab#Version=2007,100,1600,22" VIEWASTEXT></OBJECT>
    <script language="javascript">
    function Print()
    {
    if (typeof RSClientPrint.Print == "undefined")
    {
    alert(
    "Unable to load client print control.");
    return;
    }

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 6:31 PM
  • I encountered this problem while trying to print a greeting cards from www.bluemountain.com while running IE 8. When I'd press the print button, I'd get the; "An error occurred during this operation" message. I came across this forum while searching for ways to fix this, and I switched to protect mode to off and now I can print! Thank you DerekAtTempWorks so much!!!!
    Friday, December 04, 2009 4:06 AM
  • I encountered this problem while trying to print a greeting cards from www.bluemountain.com while running IE 8. When I'd press the print button, I'd get the; "An error occurred during this operation" message. I came across this forum while searching for ways to fix this, and I switched to protect mode to off and now I can print! Thank you DerekAtTempWorks so much!!!!

Wow.... thanks a million on this one. 
    Friday, December 04, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Now if only someone knew how to work around this without having to have all my users change thier protected mode settings....
    -Derek
    Friday, December 04, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Anyone ever have any luck with this - I'm having it too on SQL Server 2008
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:14 PM
  • The only thing I ever found that works is turning protected mode off temporary while I print. Incase you're not sure, click on the name at the bottom of the window closer to the time and zoom. Uncheck enable protected mode...press ok, close the browswer and then reopen it. Otherwise, all I get from certain companies and their input on what to do about the compatibility of some sites to print off of is revert to IE7. Well, I actually tried that and reformatting with Vista Premium, the two don't work for me either. Major sites I always have issues printing with are greeting card sites, I've never had any issues with printing from Office Word 2007 when protected mode is on.
    • Proposed as answer by TimeTrips Monday, February 01, 2010 5:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by DerekAtTempWorks Monday, February 01, 2010 6:20 PM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 1:29 PM
  • I also found that adding the site to my "Trusted" sites list solved the problem for me.  I'm using SQL 2005 (not that I think the DB has much to do with it) and MS Standard Server 2008 with IIS 7.
    JLK
    Monday, February 01, 2010 5:14 PM

This is an answer, the trouble is it's not the answer I was hoping for.
    It's not realy an option for me to have to explain how to change security settings to some of our user base.

Monday, February 01, 2010 6:23 PM
  • I also found that adding the site to my "Trusted" sites list solved the problem for me.  I'm using SQL 2005 (not that I think the DB has much to do with it) and MS Standard Server 2008 with IIS 7.
    JLK

This works if your settings for trusted sites have protected mode disabled, which they should by default. "Trusted" sites are realy just a white list of sites held to a set of different security settings, protected mode could still be configured to run on them (which I have run into before, not sure what, but something makes a habit of setting it up that way) so adding them to trusted isn't foolproof.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 6:26 PM
  • I have similar problems with other Active X controls bumping up against security settings.  While this won't help you directly I also found a detailed explanation of the problem and same solution as listed here at: http://www.donkitchen.com/2009/05/29/ms-reporting-services-report-viewer-control-printing-errors-with-ie8-and-vista/ but they do go into a lot of detail and worked with MS customer support to help resolve it.

Good Luck,

James.
    JLK
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 12:47 AM