none
Privilege and roles for team members to deploy reports on the SSRS Report Server

Question

• My company has the following sql server and ssrs set up.

Server1: MS SQL Server 2008 R2 installed with a named instance that hosts around 10 databases on the instance. There are two databases -"HDB1" and "HDB2" for our HR division and a group of users(HR Team members) who have ("public" role) access just to these two databases . "HRUserAdmin" is the account that has admin privilege for these two databases.
    Server2: Has MS SQL Server 2008 R2 installed using a default instance. The SSIS and SSRS are configured on this machine. The reportserver database and reportserver tempdb are hosted on this machine. We use the windows authentication option in order to connect to the databases on both the servers.
    I have admin privilege on both the windows and sql server databases. I could successfully deploy a report using BIDS on to the report server and view the report. My question is, If I want the HR Team members to deploy their reports on to report server, what privilege/permission should I grant other than providing the web service URL? would they be able to successfully deploy reports on the report server?

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• One more question: Should I create their logins on SQL Server Database on Server 2 because the reportserver DB resides on this sql server?

• Edited by info_js Monday, September 23, 2013 1:00 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 12:59 PM
  • Refer this two link to create role and user.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156293(v=sql.105).aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156034(v=sql.105).aspx

For the second question, I do not think we need logins in Server2 as the user already has access to DB Server 1. We can create SSRS dataset in Server2 connecting Server1 DB.

Regards, RSingh

Monday, September 23, 2013 2:04 PM
  • SSRS is not enabled on Server1, it is configured on Server2 and the report serverdb and report server tempdb reside on Server2 Sql Instance. We want the users to deploy their SSRS reports on to Server2. Their databases reside on Server1 and they have access to dbServer1.

• Edited by info_js Monday, September 23, 2013 2:26 PM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Refer the below architecture. The only thing we need is to grant permission to access and deploy SSRS reports in Server 2.

Regards, RSingh

Monday, September 23, 2013 3:06 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the arch diagram. So my next question is, will a "publisher" role be enough for a user to create, deploy and view reports on the Report Server..I think the user should be able to use the Report Builder to create reports, if granted this role. Apart from this role, should I give any other system roles..like the "System User" role?
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Hi Info,

When grant access for users to Report Server (Report Manager), we need grant the system role(System User) to the users first, and then grant item role (Publisher and Report Builder) for the users. You can refer to the second link that provide by Rsingh to see the detail information about it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:48 AM