Can't Get VB6 Serv Pak 6 to install in Vista RC1

Question

• Has anyone gotten VB6 Service pack 6 to install in VISTA RC1

I tried and it errors out with some cryptic error about a missing file and quits.

VB shows no sp installed and programs that were created with SP6 installd on XP will not run in the API on Vista RC1 with an error message "Component missing".

Has Microsoft a fix for this?

We have lots and lots of custom written programs that we will have to maintain and support on VISTA (if installed) and there seems no way to do it because the service Pack 6 can't install.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 4:50 AM

Answers

• Courtney,

I'm the Program Manager with Microsoft that is responsible for Visual Basic 6 running on Vista. 

The Visual Basic 6.0 runtime is supported on Windows Vista.  The IDE is still supported, but under Extended Support.  You can get details here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

That being said, we've been testing the install of the IDE Vista RC1 and RTM and both the IDE and the SP6 install without issue.  You'll need to be an admin on the box and when installing the IDE right click on the setup executable and select "Run as Administrator". 

Please post back on this thread with the specific error messages you are getting and my team will help you get up and running.

Thanks,

Chris Mayo

Visual Basic Program Manager

Monday, October 02, 2006 12:18 AM
  • Thanks for the question.

When starting the IDE, you need to right click on the icon/exe and select Run as Administrator.  Running at a admin on the box and running with elevated privledges is the only supported scenario for the IDE.  Let me know if you still get the issue running this way.

SP6 should install without issue, but in order for the SP to install and modify the registry, you need to be running with Run as Admin.  If you are running that way, do you see anything in the event logs that corresponds to the failure?

Let me know and we'll track down the issue.

Thanks,

Chris Mayo

Saturday, October 07, 2006 9:00 PM
  • I was told by Microsft Support, as a result of my bug report, that the order of installtion is important. For example:

1. Vista
    2. VB6
    3. VS 2005

So I rebuilt by machine in the above order and ran every task by selecting "Run as Administrator" for EVERY task, although the logged-in user had the admin rights. Guess what? VB6 installs fines. I then Installed SP6. It installed fine too. It took many many hours to do this!

Running VB6 is fine as long as you do not run any program in it! I get "Unhandled exceptions" all over the place. Even trying to run Regsvr32 to register an OCX fails with "unhandled exception in Rundll32.exe. Running Visual SourceSafe also fails "unhandled exception". In my view Vista is not stable enough or fast enough to do any kind of development.

Regards,

Joginder Nahil

Saturday, March 03, 2007 2:54 PM

All replies

•  

VB6 is no longer supported. I'm not surpised at a failure like this.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 8:02 AM

• If you don't get an answer here see the following:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=478161&SiteID=1

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 12:11 PM
  • I haven't confirmed this, but did you try installing the SP with UAC OFF?  You can turn it back on after the install.

Hope this helps,
    Adam Braden
    Microsoft Visual Basic Team

Friday, September 22, 2006 6:14 AM
  • Courtney,

I'm the Program Manager with Microsoft that is responsible for Visual Basic 6 running on Vista. 

The Visual Basic 6.0 runtime is supported on Windows Vista.  The IDE is still supported, but under Extended Support.  You can get details here:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/ms788708.aspx

That being said, we've been testing the install of the IDE Vista RC1 and RTM and both the IDE and the SP6 install without issue.  You'll need to be an admin on the box and when installing the IDE right click on the setup executable and select "Run as Administrator". 

Please post back on this thread with the specific error messages you are getting and my team will help you get up and running.

Thanks,

Chris Mayo

Monday, October 02, 2006 12:18 AM
  • Chris,

I am also having problems running the Visual Studio 6 install on Vista RC1. I get an error stating RegCreateKey failed for \Interface\OLEViewer]ViewerCLSID. Access is Denied. The problem dll seems to be iviewers.dll. I am logged on as myself (in the Administrator group). I right cliked the setup program to run it as an Administrator. After the error, the setup states that it failed. However, the setup did finish on the next reboot and it looks like VB 6 is running. It just has one error when you first start the IDE accessing the OLE Registry. I tried registering the dll manually and that succeded, but did not fix the error when starting VB6.

However, the main problem is that I am now trying to install SP6, and it fails pretty much right away with no sign with what the error is. It happens during the checking for Installed Components part of the install. I get the License Agreement dialog that I agree to, but the error happens right after that (Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 6 setup was not completed Successfully). Any help installing the SP6 would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, October 06, 2006 7:18 PM
  • Thanks for the question.

When starting the IDE, you need to right click on the icon/exe and select Run as Administrator.  Running at a admin on the box and running with elevated privledges is the only supported scenario for the IDE.  Let me know if you still get the issue running this way.

SP6 should install without issue, but in order for the SP to install and modify the registry, you need to be running with Run as Admin.  If you are running that way, do you see anything in the event logs that corresponds to the failure?

Let me know and we'll track down the issue.

Thanks,

Chris Mayo

Saturday, October 07, 2006 9:00 PM
  • Chris,

Thank you for the information. Setting VB6 to run as Admin did work for the error I was getting when trying to run the IDE. However, I am still unable to install SP6. It looks like the only event that got logged in the Event Viewer was an information that looks like the start of the attempt to run the setup.

The Program Compatibility Assistant was invoked to correct a compatibility problem. Information about the application is below.
    Application name: MS-Setup Setup Exe
    Application version: 3.0.0.1210
    Executable path: E:\ENGLISH\VISUAL_STUDIO_60\SP6\SETUPSP6.EXE
    Scenario ID: 1
    Uer action: Cancelled Program Compatibility Assistant
    Compatibility layer: None

I then see a Forwarded Events get logges about a minute later, but nothing in that log.

Sunday, October 08, 2006 1:36 AM
  • Chris,

I now have VB6 SP6 installed on Vista. When I ran the VB6 install, I did not run it as an Administrator. I then, by hand fix the peices of the install that did not work during my install. This got VB6 running, but SP6 install failed (even logged in as Administrator). I could not get VB6 uninstalled. I have recently received new Vista bits and decided to wipe my computer and start over with the new bits install. I now ran VB6 install as Administrator and the install went fine and I am now able to install SP6 (also as Administrator). Thank you for your help on this issue. Have a great day.

-Scott

Monday, October 09, 2006 4:35 PM
  • Scott,

I'd like to keep track of issues with VB6 installing on Vista.  You were trying to get this working on RC1 and you received errors.  What build did you get it working on?

Thanks,

Chris Mayo

Friday, October 13, 2006 3:48 AM
  • Chris,

I finally got VB6 installed with RC2 (Build 5744). But, it may had been the way I was installing on RC1 that had a problem. I was not running the install as an Administrator. And, then when I did see what errors I recieved, I tried fixing them by hand by registering the DLL that was causing a problem. This made it so I was able to run VB6, but was not able to uninstall it or install SP6.

Thank you for following up on this issue.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:11 PM
  • I'll apologize for the double post but this conversation seems more applicable. 

I have a brand new clean install of Vista Ultimate.  No matter what I do, I'll right click on setup.exe on the CD of Visual Studio and chose "Run as administrator" and always wind up with

"RegCreateKey failed for \Interface\OLEViewerIViewerCLSID. Access is denied"

OK is the only option which is followed by "DLLREgisterServer Failure. Access is denied"

There is but one user on this machine and I am a member of the administrators group.  Interesting point to note, setup.exe is not running memory, it shells out to ACMSETUP.EXE I would assume the elevated privlieges would follow but something's not working right.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Hi Greg,

Did you get it working?

I have also hit the same problem. I have installed Vista Ultimate and now trying to install VB6 using the original CD. I am also the only user with Administration rights, I also start Setup by right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator". I have also unchecked UAC switch for myself.

I do see the following popup when I run setup.exe:

This program has know compatibility issues:
    Program Visual C++
    Publisher: Microsoft

I have tried anything that is siggested on the web to resolve this problem.  Why does it has to be this hard!

Joginder Nahil

Sunday, February 25, 2007 6:23 PM
  • Hello,

I am also running into the same problem as Greg and Joginder.  I have Vista Business and the Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition DVD from MSDN.  The error is:

"RegCreateKey failed for \Interface\OLEViewerIViewerCLSID. Access is denied"

The VS6 application is now in a state to where it can not be loaded or uninstalled.  How can I correct the installation?

Thanks,

Dave

Monday, February 26, 2007 8:16 PM

• How did you run the setup for Visual Studio?
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:13 PM
  • During the first attempt, I ran setup.exe as a normal process.  The machine rebooted during the installation and after setup resumed, I first encountered the error.  At that point, I researched the error which brought me here. 

I have since tried running the setup by right-clicking setup.exe and selecting "Run as Administrator".  The same error is displayed.  Even worse, the partial installation will not uninstall due to a missing setup.stf file.  I have copied the setup.stf file from another machine to appease the uninstaller, but the error persists.

Thanks,

Dave

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:37 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I ran setup.exe from the CD containing Visual Studio 6

Regards,
    Joginder

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Today I have raised this as a bug with Microsoft and they are investigating it. I will update this thread as soon as I have been told of a solution.

Regards,
    Joginder Nahil

Thursday, March 01, 2007 11:14 PM
  • I was told by Microsft Support, as a result of my bug report, that the order of installtion is important. For example:

1. Vista
    2. VB6
    3. VS 2005

So I rebuilt by machine in the above order and ran every task by selecting "Run as Administrator" for EVERY task, although the logged-in user had the admin rights. Guess what? VB6 installs fines. I then Installed SP6. It installed fine too. It took many many hours to do this!

Running VB6 is fine as long as you do not run any program in it! I get "Unhandled exceptions" all over the place. Even trying to run Regsvr32 to register an OCX fails with "unhandled exception in Rundll32.exe. Running Visual SourceSafe also fails "unhandled exception". In my view Vista is not stable enough or fast enough to do any kind of development.

Regards,

Joginder Nahil

Saturday, March 03, 2007 2:54 PM

• When you say you ran every task by selecting "Run as Administrator" does that also apply to the Command session for Regsvr32? Keep in mind that UAC will place a fair number of limitations on your development practices. Attempting to circumvent it, intentionally or unintentionally, will lead to unexpected behavior from the application.

You may want to be a bit more specific as to the unhandled exceptions that are being generated. So far I haven't been able to reproduce the errors that you have been seeing.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 5:08 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I forgot to mension that I turned of UAC before running any of the above installation and I logged-in as an Administrator.

I can create the problem with almost every time as follows:

1. Start the Run Window by selecting Start > Run
    2. Type regsvr32 in the Open textbox and then click on Browse button to select a file to register
    3. After the selecting the file click on <Open> button
    4. Error window appears:
      Window Title: Visual Studio Just-in-Time Debugger
      Message      : An unhandled win32 exception occurred in explorer.exe [3916]
      Possible Debugger: New Instance of Visual Studio 2005
      Do you want to debug using the selected debugger?
    5. If I click on YES button then VS 2005 IDE starts and says "Visual Studio 2005 has encountered a problem and needs to close".
      I have logged this as a bug with Microsoft and they are helping me with VS2005 problem.
    6. BTW VS 2005 does not run on my machine either. I have installed:
      a) VS 2005
      b) VS 2005 SP1
      c} VS 2005 SP for Vista
    7. In fact almost every time I use Browse on anything to select a file "Unhandled exception" occurs. For example, if I start Visual SourceSafe and then try to select SourceSafe database using Browse, I get "Unhanded win32 exception occurred in  SSEXP.EXE [3976]"

BTW I had installed Vista Ultimate, downloaded the latest copy from MSDN, on a brand new machine for the above tests.

Joginder Nahil

Saturday, March 03, 2007 6:29 PM

• If you turn UAC back on and reboot, do you have any luck running Regsvr32?

Yes, Visual Studio 2005 presents a whole new set of potential issues and I don't think Microsoft has worked out the compatibility problems yet. I'm running with UAC on so I may not experience the same issues that you are. I'll probably have to set up a test system for this.

Saturday, March 03, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I tried with both setting for UAC and it makes no difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

How can Microsoft get it so wrong? Their own primary development toolset ( VS 2005 and VB6) does not work on a released version of the operating system. I am sure that I am the only one having these problems, otherwise developers around the world would be screaming at Microsoft. Please someone tell me that it is just me!

Also I find that everything (especially installations) take hours on my Pentium 1.6Mhz with 500MB. It reminds me the days when I was using Windows 3 on 286Mhz machine in 1990.  

Joginder Nahil
    Fujitsu (UK)

Sunday, March 04, 2007 10:20 AM

• Well it's not just you. However, most of the issues occur with UAC enabled. I haven't heard from anyone (so far) having issues with UAC disabled.

Regarding your machine configuration, I'm assuming you meant 500 GB and not MB. You won't have much luck running anything current in 500 MB. You will also need a minimum of at least 512 MB of ram (1 GB is preferable) if you're running Visual Studio.NET products. Otherwise performance will be very slow.

Monday, March 05, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Microsft is investigating my problems. I will update you when they are resolved.

I was wrong about my machine configuration. It is a laptop with 1.6 Mhz Intel Centerino processor, 500GB hard disk and 500 MB Ram.

Joginder Nahil

Monday, March 05, 2007 2:12 PM
  • I am also experiencing problems with UAC disabled (see above).
    Monday, March 05, 2007 9:29 PM
  • Was a solution ever found for installing VB6 in Vista?  I'm trying to install Visual Studio 6 Enterprise Edition on Windows Vista Business Version 6.0 (Build 6000), but am getting the regkey errors mentioned above.
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 5:52 PM
  • The solution I found was to reinstall Visual Studio 6 and to deselect the OLE/Com Object Viewer in the Tools section.

Setup then completed successfully, and I was then able to apply SP6.

Tim

Sunday, March 25, 2007 1:40 PM
  • There's a bit more info on my blog:

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?p=167

Tim

Sunday, March 25, 2007 7:22 PM
  • I get the same problem (OLEViewer CLSID).  Vista Enterprise RTM.  The IDE opens fine, but Service Pack 5 or 6 cannot be applied.  It fails immediately.  Nothing in the event log.  Now, I've got quite a bit of other software on this machine -- Crystal Reports 8 and 9, lots of other older apps.  It's sort of the test machine.  Perhaps need to reimage and start over.  I've wasted enough time on this one.
    Monday, April 02, 2007 2:47 PM
  • Tim - Your post was very helpful. This allowed the install to finish correctly and didn't show the reg-key errors, etc.  When selecting your install choose custom to select the components then select the tools item and click change. - Ahhh. thanks again.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 3:30 PM
  • I get the same problem (OLEViewer CLSID).  Vista Enterprise RTM.  The IDE opens fine, but Service Pack 5 or 6 cannot be applied.  It fails immediately.  Nothing in the event log.  Now, I've got quite a bit of other software on this machine -- Crystal Reports 8 and 9, lots of other older apps.  It's sort of the test machine.  Perhaps need to reimage and start over.  I've wasted enough time on this one.

Just reinstall but with the OLEViewer deselected. Then you'll be able to apply the service packs.

Tim

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:11 PM
  • Tim, thanks.  I did deselect, and did not receive the OLE error any longer.  But I still couldn't apply the service pack.  Perhaps I had tried so many times with different combinations -- something got jacked up.  But, I did manage to fix this.  Initially, I was trying to install VB6 as part of the Enterprise Edition of Visual Studio.  So, when I first installed, a lot of other stuff came with it --- Visual InterDev, C++ etc.  A few other people I work with said that they just used the VB6 Enterprise Edition disks, and everything went fine -- including the service pack.  So, I tried running this and it worked.  I don't believe the OLE Viewer is even an option on the VB6 installation disks.  So then I could apply the service pack.  Go figure.  So the key for me was using the VB 6.0 Enterprise Edition disks.  Hope this helps someone else.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:51 PM
  • Chris,

I am trying to install VS6.0 SP6 on Vista Business and I am getting the following error

"Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 6 set up was not completed successfully."

I have turned UAC on, running this under safe mode and run it under elevated privileges. Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong as it seems to be working for most others.

Thanks & Regards
    technocrat_aspire
    Sunday, August 26, 2007 10:54 AM
  • Paul,

I am having the same problem with Visual Studio 6 (Visual Basic 6 in particular). It loaded fine (except for the flag on VC6 about issues with Vista, so I didn't load the VC6). It ran fine for a couple months and then came up with registry issues with ALL the controls. I noticed it when I loaded a VB project. I was not able to resolve, so I uninstalled and reinstalled (as admin of course). This happen twice before. The third time (the other night) I am now NOT able to uninstall or reinstall the studio or even run Visual Basic. I am sorry but Windows Vista is a loser and I am very dissapointed in it. At this point I am so pissed at Vista and I am going to re-format and install Windows XP and get rid of Vista. I see no other means of correcting the problem and it looks like you guys don't either. While I'm at it let me tell you how much I hate Office 2007 as well. That and Vista are huge productivity losers and I can't stand them. Can I get my money back for the Vista and Office 2007 licenses. I do not want them anymore. They have cost me so much lost time and productivity I can't stand to use them and I am utterly disappointed with them. I want my money back and send a message to the Vista and Office developers that their product stinks.

Joe

Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:17 PM
  • Hello there,

I successfully installed Visual Basic 6.0 on my Vista Ultimate PC. No success so far with installing VB Service Pack 6.0.

I tried to right-click downloaded exe file ("Run as Administrator", I assume that "elevated privileges" go along with the administrator status). I also tried to switch off User Account Control (UAC) when attempting to run exe file. Last but not least, I also tried to mark this exe file "Back compatibility to Windows XP, SP 2". Nothing works. The dlls are loaded but it stops after a few seconds (the last dll name seen is ComCat.dll). During all this I did not tinker around with VB 6.0 itself, I only tried to click on the Service Pack 6.0 exe file ("vbrun60sp6").

Would you have any suggestions how I should proceed?

Thank you for your help.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:47 AM
  • Dear Chris,

I have issues on VB6 installation on Vista Home Premium SP1 , after installing vb6 , i proceed to install SP3

then follow by Sp4 & sp5 but during the installation SP4 failed it says i have to install MDAC 2.5 which i did and it still cannot.

I tried to instal SP5 also the same. So right now if i click on VB6 i see that it is running SP3. How do i go about installing SP4 , SP5 and then SP6 ?

Audrey

Thursday, January 29, 2009 6:17 AM