none
bottom line on report parts

Question

• Hi.  We run 2012 enterprise (vs 2010) and rather than reading anymore (my head is spinning) I thought I'd ask some simple questions to first get my head around report parts in ssrs.

1) is it true you can only create them from report builder?

2) is it true that i can reuse (plumb) one or more published report parts in any report i might be designing ?  Regardless if I'm designing my new report in report builder or traditional bids vs?  If I'm in bids, what is the first step in adding an existing report part to my report/solution if the report part has already been published?

3) is it true that i can easily borrow from an existing report some portion that lends itself to being a report part going forward and call it a report part and publish it as a report part?

4) does sharepoint have to be in the picture when using report parts?

Thursday, January 09, 2014 3:28 PM

Answers

• Here's what i know...

1.  No, you can build them in BIDs, but you cannot use them.  To build one create a starndard report and add an item you want to be a report part... like an image... From the menu select Report > Publish Report Parts.  Then select the item you want to be a report part.  It can now be used by those that have access to it in SSRS using Report Builder 3.0 (RB 3.0).

2.  You can reuse report parts, but only using RB 3.0.

3.  Yes, as noted above thats how you would do it in BIDs.

4.  No.

• Marked as answer by DB042189 Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:48 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hello,

In SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), we can create and modify report definitions (.rdl) in Report Builder and in Report Designer in SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT). Before SSRS 2008 R2, we can use Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) to design report.

In Report Builder, we can publish report parts on a report server or SharePoint site integrated with a report server. Then, we can reuse them in multiple reports, and we can update them on the server. We can publish a report part from Report Designer, however, we cannot reuse an existing report part in Report Designer. If the Reporting Services is in Native mode, it is not necessary to using the report parts based on SharePoint.

There is an article about Report Parts, you can refer to it.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633670.aspx

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

Alisa Tang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 10, 2014 6:40 AM
  • Thx Alisa, that is the article that confused me.  I'm using the term "Report Designer" to describe the mode I'm in when I'm designing a new report project in vs 2010 BI.

If we ignore sharepoint in the discussion, are you saying i can create/publish a report part from report designer in bids/vs 2010? But use it only in that report? I dont see anything in report designer for creating a report part.

If yes, what's the purpose of creating/publishing it if it cant be reused? 

• Edited by DB042189 Friday, January 10, 2014 11:01 PM clarity
    Friday, January 10, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Hello,

In SSRS, Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) is the primary tool that is used to create or modify reports. BIDS uses the term deploy. Instead of the term publish. More detail information about report create/deploy in BIDS, please refer to the following articles:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb649551.aspx
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159270.aspx

If we want to reuse the report part in BIDS, we can call the .rdl file to work around the issue. We can design a report in the BIDS, and save it in local disk. After that, we can create another project and add the .rdl file in this project to reuse it. We are create report and deploy it to Report Server. Then, the other users can via Report Server or Report Manager to view the report.  
    Reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159106.aspx

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

Alisa Tang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 13, 2014 3:11 AM
  • thx Alisa.  I saw an article somewhere that says a report part can be created with BIDS but not used in BIDS at all.    My understanding is that report parts have an extension of .rsc.  I dont see anywhere in BIDS where a report part can be created.
    Monday, January 13, 2014 3:11 PM
  • Here's what i know...

1.  No, you can build them in BIDs, but you cannot use them.  To build one create a starndard report and add an item you want to be a report part... like an image... From the menu select Report > Publish Report Parts.  Then select the item you want to be a report part.  It can now be used by those that have access to it in SSRS using Report Builder 3.0 (RB 3.0).

2.  You can reuse report parts, but only using RB 3.0.

3.  Yes, as noted above thats how you would do it in BIDs.

4.  No.

• Marked as answer by DB042189 Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:48 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 8:33 PM