none
SSRS REPORT IS NOT SHOWING UNKNOWN DIMENSION VALUES which the dataset query shows when run on db separately

Question

• dim1         dim 2       dim 3       fact1  fact2

unknown,unknown,unknown  12      13

SSRS REPORT IS NOT SHOWING UNKNOWN DIMENSION VALUES which the dataset query shows when run on db separately.

How should we figure out from the report?

Mudassar

Monday, July 01, 2013 2:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• I interpret your question to mean that the report is displaying the record, that you can see "12" for fact1 and "13" for fact2, but you are not seeing the expected output for dim1, dim2, or dim3.  For example, you may expect to see the word "unknown", but are instead seeing blanks.  Is this correct?

If that is correct, the dataset is probably fine, and you just have to work on the presentation.  For example, a database null value may displayed as a blank on an SSRS report, but you can change that.  Here are some examples of expressions that can be used to edit what you see.  Alternatively, you can change the SQL statement in your dataset.  Instead of SELECT dim1 you could write something like:

SELECT ISNULL(dim1, 'unknown') AS dim1
    Presuming that dim1 is an appropriate character type, this will change a null value into the string "unknown", so it can be displayed on the report.
    Monday, July 01, 2013 5:13 PM
  • Dim1 Dim2 Dim3 Fact1 Fact2
    Games Fixed  Games razors 45 1
    Games Fixed  Games razors 17 2
    Games Slots honey 29.6 3
    Games Slots honey 62.4 4
    Unreal games  Gaming world jimms 19 5
    Unknown Unknown Unknown 58 6
    Unknown Unknown Unknown 12 7
    Unknown Unknown Unknown 620 8

Thts how my dataset output looks like when i run the query on the db server to get results.

But when I run the report all dimensions apart from unknowns are seen in the report resultset.

Dim1 Dim2 Dim3 Fact1 Fact2
    Games Fixed  Games razors 45 1
    Games Fixed  Games razors 17 2
    Games Slots honey 29.6 3
    Games Slots honey 62.4 4
    Unreal games  Gaming world jimms 19 5

Hence the total for fact1 is shown without the actual breakup.

I need to figure out how i can show this in the report.

Mudassar

Monday, July 01, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Hi Mudassar,

There must be some filters in place on your text boxes wherein result is displayed or on your rows groups, in case, it's a click-through report. You can double click on your text-box or outermost row group and check for filters.

Monday, July 01, 2013 10:20 PM