Error 1305 while installing Visual C++ Express 2010

Question

• I am getting an error everytime i attempt to install Visual C++ Express 2010 i get an error 

My OS is Windows 7

trying to install C++ Express 2010/Visual Studio 2010, i am getting the error with both og them...

Error 1305.Error reading from file C:\windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.mshtml\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.mshtml.dll.  Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

this file is not there let alone the GAC folder is not there as well...

i have clean the %temp% folder, i have also tried the uninstall for visual studio 2010. I have had Visual Studio 2010 installed at one point but didn't use it and now i need express or studio. i have search for that file and folder but realized it is not on my computer at all... 

can anyone help me please, i have searched for two days now and can't find a solution.

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:02 AM

All replies

• Is there no fix for this problem?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Hi Tupling,

Thank you for your post.

First, I recommend you check this path: C:\Windows\assembly\Microsoft.mshtml.DLL. Are you able to find this file? If you cannot, I recommend you try to copy it from a healthy computer and try to install Visual C++ 2010 Express. If you can find it, please check the version: 7.0.3300.0 and PublicKeyToken: b03f5f7f11d50a3a. If they do not match, this file on your machine is corrupt. Thus, you are required to copy a new from a healthy side and try to install it. This file is system related assembly, and furthermore most of IE related component use this DLL, e.g. IE and webbrowser control. If you still failed to install Visual C++ 2010 due to Microsoft.mshtml.DLL after you copy it from any other healthy machine, I think some system files on your side are corrupt. In this scenario, I recommend you try to repair your OS or completely reinstall your OS.

Second, I recommend you try to install Visual C++ 2010 Express under administrator privileges. If it does not work, I recommend you create a new account with administrator privileges and try to install it.

Third, If the problem still exists after these steps, could you please collect the log for me?

• Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool.

Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en

• Upload the vslogs.cab file to an open website like Windows Live SkyDrive or send it to me (E-mail: v-alsun_at_microsoft_dot_com).

Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 22, 2011 5:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Alexander Sun Monday, August 22, 2011 5:33 AM
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Just wondering if you have receieved my email with the logs, i had tried everything you listed above and still have the same problem...
    Monday, August 29, 2011 10:49 PM
  • Hi Tupling,

We have involved another person to help you resolve this problem. Please wait more time. I think he will reply you soon.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:41 AM
  • Hi Tupling,

I have checked the issue and researched the log file.

The following file is exist on my machine , but it is hiden by system

C:\windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.mshtml\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.mshtml.dll

You can check the file by command .

To solve the issue , you could copy this file from other machine to this machine , and install again.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Jun Zh - MSFT Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Zun,

I have search everywhere on my computer.

I have the following file location.

C:\windows\assembly\Microsoft.mshtml.dll

accord to Visual Studio i need to following file

C:\windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.mshtml\7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.mshtml.dll

As you can see i have no GAC folder, now a Microsoft.mshtml folder, i just have the assembly folder with the mshtml.dll file located in it.

I have alos checked my wifes system who is running Windows 7 Home Premium as well as i am and still no GAC folder, just the assembly folder with the .mshtml.dll file located in it

Friday, September 02, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Hi Tupling,

By Expoler and windows search , I also cannot find GAC folder .

But you could open a command , cd to "c:\windows\assembly",

Then you could run dir , you will see some folder including GAC.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Jun Zh - MSFT Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, September 07, 2011 6:42 AM
  • Zun,

I am not sure what help that is,

I have tried to view what is in the GAC directory. unable to view anything i have tried to copy the Microsoft.mshtml using the command line and nothing there either...

Thursday, September 08, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Hi Tupling,

Please have a try to copy the install folder to another location.

And disable A/V if you have.

Friday, November 11, 2011 6:53 AM