none
Windows Mobile 5.0 vs Windows CE 5.0 - Same thing?

Question

• Are the Windows Mobile 5.0 and the Windows CE 5.0 the same thing? I am trying to buy a phone that I can make some .Net mobile programs for and I am looking at the cingular 2125 ( <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/devicedisplay.aspx?module=deviceDisplay;Smartphone;americas;233">Here is a link to the info about it ) but I don't know if those two things are the same so I don't know if this phone will work.

Can somebody help me out? Thanks!
    Saturday, March 25, 2006 4:27 PM

Answers

• Just to clarify, Windows Mobile 5.0 and Windows CE 5.0 are NOT the same thing.

Windows Mobile uses Windows CE as its base, but because Windows CE provides many more components than Windows Mobile, you can't assume that code on a CE device will work on a Windows Mobile or vice-versa.

That said, if you are thinking about Mobile phones, such as the one you have linked to, then it is easy. Just forget totally about Windows CE because it isn't relevant :)

Instead, simply consider the benefits of the Windows Mobile 5.0 platform, which does fully support Compact Framework 1.0 and 2.0.

Michael is correct to say there are differences between a PDA and a phone, and although the platform underneath is the same, you may want to consider the limitations of the phone edition. (i.e. user interface, CPU power, and installed software )

Sunday, March 26, 2006 6:38 PM

All replies

• It is my understanding that the phone edition is different from the PDA edition of Windows Mobile.  In particular the new office compatibility in the PDA version is not present on the phones.  While a 5.0 PDA can show power point files the phones can not.  The large HP type PDA/Phones could be running either edition, and would need to be checked.  Both versions of 5.0 however should support compact framework.  I do not know if they all support compact framework 2.0 however.
    Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:10 PM
  • Just to clarify, Windows Mobile 5.0 and Windows CE 5.0 are NOT the same thing.

Windows Mobile uses Windows CE as its base, but because Windows CE provides many more components than Windows Mobile, you can't assume that code on a CE device will work on a Windows Mobile or vice-versa.

That said, if you are thinking about Mobile phones, such as the one you have linked to, then it is easy. Just forget totally about Windows CE because it isn't relevant :)

Instead, simply consider the benefits of the Windows Mobile 5.0 platform, which does fully support Compact Framework 1.0 and 2.0.

Michael is correct to say there are differences between a PDA and a phone, and although the platform underneath is the same, you may want to consider the limitations of the phone edition. (i.e. user interface, CPU power, and installed software )

Sunday, March 26, 2006 6:38 PM

• check this location in the compact framework directory structure for the appropriate runtime (NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab):
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v2.0\WindowsCE\wce500

PPC2k3 may need this as well:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/downloads/evb_eula.aspx

i use this to install but Aktivstink probably wurx, also:
    http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/cabinstl.shtml

good luck

Thursday, July 27, 2006 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

I am building the Window Mobile 6 OS image using Platform Builder for Windows Mobile 5 ( plus adaptation kits...).

When my company wanted to buy a full license Microsoft local office replyed that this kind of

SW is not sold here and directed us to buy Embedded CE 6.0.

Can I build Windows Mobile 6 image with Embedded CE 6.0 ?

Thanks

kobe

Monday, July 16, 2007 1:17 PM
  • Hi Kobe

No, you cannot build a Windows Mobile 6 OS with Platform Builder for Windows Embedded CE 6.0.

Simply because Windows Mobile 6 is still based on the Windows CE 5 kernel.

If you're already a Device OEM you should have the right contact to Microsoft to get the new Windows Mobile 6 OAKs including all required tools.

Hope this helps

Michael

Monday, July 16, 2007 10:12 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

We did contact MS and got the latest version of the Platform Builder for WinMobile.

Kobe

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:40 AM
  • hi Kobe:

How can I become a device oem and whom of Microsoft do I contact?

Thx,

Charles

Thursday, September 04, 2008 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

My compnay has a Development Licensing Agreement with MS.

Try to contct MS for that.

Kobe

Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:04 AM