Install problem - Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express - Problem Uninstalling older version

Question

• When i try to install Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express, the ENU setup starts loading installation components, once its almost done a new windows popups.

Its telling me the setup has detected a product currently installed that must be removed, its the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express Beta 2 - ENU"

At the control panel i found the and removed the program, then i restarted my computer and tried to install C# 2010 Express again but every time i try it says this program was found again on my computer and Visual C# 2010 cant install because this 'ghost' program stills on my computer! Probably in a windows reg. file hidden somewhere.

I think its pointless, but i empty my trash bin and used search with keywords "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010" and even "C++ 2010" with no results.

I have to uninstall even olders Microsoft Visual C++ such 2008 and 2006 versions (even though the installer does not talk nothing about these old versions)?

If i have to uninstall even olders versions (if theres no options known), i want to know if a new one doesnt need the older version to run?

I dont think newer versions need older to run, but just in-case i better be sure before uninstalling 

My computer have windows XP

Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Gravyerd,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to the description of your problem, you failed to uninstall Visual C++ 2010 Express Beta 2, and then you intend to uninstall all previous version of Visual C++.

First, I recommend you try to uninstall Visual C++ 2010 Express Beta 2 using Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility.

Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

If your issue still occurs, here is a thread which maybe will help you much: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/Vsexpressinstall/thread/a2f4d9c3-1a78-4ac1-b316-04c5727feb46

In my opinion, it is not essential for you to uninstall all previous version of Visual C++. Whether the previous version will be uninstalled is up to you and your programs. Sometimes some components of Visual C++ like C++ runtime is necessary for some application developed by Visual C++ .

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 8:44 AM

All replies

• Bumping thread, theres already 2 days. Sorry if thats not allowed :p

Stills not fixed, theres absolutely NO files or folders on my computer with 2010 and C++ words in its name

:/ halp?

Saturday, June 04, 2011 7:17 AM
  • Hi Gravyerd,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

According to the description of your problem, you failed to uninstall Visual C++ 2010 Express Beta 2, and then you intend to uninstall all previous version of Visual C++.

First, I recommend you try to uninstall Visual C++ 2010 Express Beta 2 using Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility.

Visual Studio 2010 Uninstall Utility: http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/vs2010uninstall

If your issue still occurs, here is a thread which maybe will help you much: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/Vsexpressinstall/thread/a2f4d9c3-1a78-4ac1-b316-04c5727feb46

In my opinion, it is not essential for you to uninstall all previous version of Visual C++. Whether the previous version will be uninstalled is up to you and your programs. Sometimes some components of Visual C++ like C++ runtime is necessary for some application developed by Visual C++ .

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, June 07, 2011 8:44 AM
  • I was watching a tutorial video. I must download a program then they in video says "you need C# to open it". I have only Visual Basic and I tried to download and install C# but then comes error message: "Visual studio setup cannot run in complatibility mode. For more information see the 'installing' in the visual studio readme at "go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=143397"

So what i can do?

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:51 AM