One Soltion for the Windows Vista x64 Conexant Audio Driver Problem

General discussion

• Hi,

after many hours spent in searching for a sound driver for my HP Pavilion ZD8000, with a Conexant ac-97 chip, i found the solution actually inside the Windows Vista x64.

You should try this:

Goto Addhardware, pick there the Sound.... and then "Let me pick from all drivers", than select View all drivers, and under AMD, there is a AMD AC 97 audio driver.

Install this driver, and your sound should work ok, except for the microphone, which is a known problem with Vista x64.

Anyway, at the end, I installed the x86 Version of Vista. Microsoft and the other companies aren't ready yet, to play with x64 bit. We have to wait like about 6-7 months, and then maybe I'll reinstall the x64bit Version.

Anyway, my HP Laptop is working faster now with the 32 bit version.

Best regards,
    Robert Mileski
    Thursday, February 08, 2007 1:35 PM

All replies

• Hi, thank you for the fix. I was hoping this would work for me, but unfortunately it didn't. I have a HP Pavilion zv6130us with Conexant CX20468-31 AC97 sound card. I followed your instructions, but in the Add hardware wizard, The only driver I see from AMD is: "AMD-8151 Hyper Transport(tm) AGP3.0 Graphics Tunnel" . So I went to the device manager, selected the audio device and clicked "reinstall driver". In here, I do see AMD and I see the following driver: "AMD-811 AC'97 Audio Controller Driver". However, after it installs it gives me the following error:

"Windows found drivers software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.  AMD-811 AC'97 Audio Controller Driver. This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I already tried booting windows with the enforcement of driver signature turned off, but still no luck.

Do you have any idea of how to fix it? What is your sound card's model number, maybe it is different from mine.

Thank You,

Marimol

Saturday, February 10, 2007 7:23 AM
  • Same situation here, though I'm using a Gateway laptop with a Conexant chip.  It'd be nice if Conexant actually provided some drivers.  This trick didn't work for me, either.  I tried installing Realtek AC'97 drivers, and Vista believes the driver to be compatible even, but I get the same "cannot start" error.  Gateway tech support was, of course, worthless, going so far as to suggest that I install the WindowsXP driver--and then RESUGGEST that after I explained why it wouldn't work.  I'm starting to fear I'll have to buy a USB or PCMCIA sound device.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:16 PM
  • Robert,

Have you got any idea where that AMD AC '97 driver is? I don't see it in my driver list. Got any more detailed instructions on how to get to it?

P.S. HP d8000z Pavilion.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 9:31 PM
  • Hi,

well, I can't explain you where it is better then I did before. Follow the steps I wrote, and you'll find it. You must have it. Are you sure you use x64 version?

Control Panel > Add New Hardware > Choose Sound > Let me pick from all drivers > AMD > There it is.

Monday, February 26, 2007 11:37 PM
  • I am having the same issue... I followed the same path as described but did not see AMD.  I will appreciate it if you can provide additional information.

Thanks,

Ife

Thursday, March 01, 2007 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

I'm really sorry that I can't help you. I will give you some information though,

I was using Windows Vista x64 Ultimate. (maybe the driver is only in Ultimate edition - I'm not sure)

do this : Control Panel > Add New Hardware > I will manually install the driver > Show All drivers > Search under AMD.

I repeat, this is for the 64bit Version of Windows Vista. NOT the 32bit. I know this, because I use the 32bit edition now, and there is no AMD AC 97 Audio Driver there, and you don't need it, because you get one from Microsoft Update and it works.

Try contacting Microsoft Support on how to find the AMD driver, or try AMD support.

Don't know what else to say.

If I still had the x64 version, I would be able to post some screenshots, but I don't.

Best regards,

Robert Mileski

Friday, March 02, 2007 12:53 AM
  • Richard,

Yes, thank you for your advice, although like the other respondents, I do not have any  AMD drivers listed under the Sound drivers as you suggest. I have Vista x64, Business addition, and I ordered the x64 disk separately through Microsoft. I will return to my 32 bit Vista.

Best wishes

Saturday, March 03, 2007 12:25 AM
  • I got it to work by installing the Realtek drivers for x64 Vista and then going into the device manager and updating the driver. In the update screens I choose | Browse my computer | Let me pick | Unchecked show compatible hardware and then selected the AMD driver.

Hope this help,

Brad C

IT System Administrator

Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:30 PM
  • I found another solution for this problem at: http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showuser=80418

I spent several days trying all possible option (even from this forum) but nothing worked.  The link above provides a step-by-step workaround that really works.

Regards,

Yuriy S.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 6:45 PM
  • hello everyone+

I have finally given up and decided to ask for help on this issue. I have a Toshiba p105-s9722 and have installed vista ultimate 64 bit a couple months ago. I have been trying every audio driver i can get ahold of to see if it will work but to with no success. Everytime i try to install a windows xp driver it tells me that i have to select a driver that is compatible with x64 systems, yet whenever i find a 64 bit driver it tells me that it failed to install. Is there some sort of security that i havent turned off? i am running as an admin but it still doesnt work. Please help, i work in the game industry and i really need my sound to be working, it sounded so nice before i installed vista.

Or is there some driver somewhere in cyberspace that will actually run on my system. thanks

Monday, May 21, 2007 7:47 PM
  • This one really does work. thank you so much! i spent months without audio just so that I could hae vista.

once again thanks!

Saturday, June 09, 2007 3:48 PM
  • i tried this and like you say its the only thing thats worked for me. i'm using windows server 2008 beta 3 and thought id never find a way but follow the steps on this and it DOES WORK!!

Monday, June 11, 2007 10:01 PM
  • I didn't found the AC97 driver in AMD folder, which I found following the steps already said, I have a Windows Vista x64 Ultimate edition and I don't know what is going on, cause I can't anyway install it, I even tried to dowload the driver form ASUS site (I have a K8N-E), nothing works!
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:43 PM
  • Hi,
        I have a gateway 7510gx with conexant ac link ac97 audio running vista ultimate 64. I was able to get my sound working thanks to hp. go here and download the driver for it!!!!!!!

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=ob-51288-1

if that link doesnt work i did a search of "conexant 64" on hps web site and it was like to first or second link. THANK YOU HP!!!!

Tember
    Friday, July 27, 2007 2:48 AM
  • Doesn't Work Robert.  AMD AC 97 driver is not there and I have the 64 bit version of Vista. 
    Saturday, August 04, 2007 9:25 AM
  • IT WORKED!!!
    After 2 months without sound on my HP ZD 8000 I believe that I tried every option that i found online.  NONE of the "new HP drivers" worked.  None of the "workarounds" worked.  I sat down today and tried one more time before formating and going back to XP,  and I FINALLY got it!!!

Here's how...

Enter Device Mgr.
    under "other devices" my computer listed "...audio controler" with the "!" next to it.
    I right clicked on that and went to "update driver software" (top listing)
    Then clicked on the second option:

Browse my computer for driver software

then click second option again...

"Let me pick from list..."

Under this was AMD and the sound card was listed.

AMD-8111 AC'97 Audio Controller Driver

Hope this helps.

Robert Mileski wrote:

Hi,

I'm really sorry that I can't help you. I will give you some information though,

I was using Windows Vista x64 Ultimate. (maybe the driver is only in Ultimate edition - I'm not sure)

do this : Control Panel > Add New Hardware > I will manually install the driver > Show All drivers > Search under AMD.

I repeat, this is for the 64bit Version of Windows Vista. NOT the 32bit. I know this, because I use the 32bit edition now, and there is no AMD AC 97 Audio Driver there, and you don't need it, because you get one from Microsoft Update and it works.

Try contacting Microsoft Support on how to find the AMD driver, or try AMD support.

Don't know what else to say.

If I still had the x64 version, I would be able to post some screenshots, but I don't.

Best regards,

Robert Mileski

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:47 PM
  • ga naar de website :

http://driveragent.com/scanorsearch.php?fn=audio

laat je pc scannen voor driver updates en installeer deze .

laat je niet tegenhouden door spyware en andere warnings.

downloaden(opslaan in map)en dan exe.

hoop dat dit voor je werkt.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:18 PM
  • woohoo it worked for me too!  still no mic functionality, but i can live with that!  Rock on!  if anyone needs help, feel free to email me.  dadarkchild03@att.net
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Hi,

after many hours spent in searching for a sound driver for my HP Pavilion ZD8000, with a Conexant ac-97 chip, i found the solution actually inside the Windows Vista x64.

You should try this:

Goto Addhardware, pick there the Sound.... and then "Let me pick from all drivers", than select View all drivers, and under AMD, there is a AMD AC 97 audio driver.

Install this driver, and your sound should work ok, except for the microphone, which is a known problem with Vista x64.

Anyway, at the end, I installed the x86 Version of Vista. Microsoft and the other companies aren't ready yet, to play with x64 bit. We have to wait like about 6-7 months, and then maybe I'll reinstall the x64bit Version.

Anyway, my HP Laptop is working faster now with the 32 bit version.

Best regards,
    Robert Mileski
    WEll it didn't really work for me :P Put here's the easiest way  downloaded it !  from AMD company ... O.o"   RAWR! I hope it works with me!!!
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Didn't work for me  waaaaaaaaaa :'(   says can't find the MEDIA device.. also its right there .. I tried to add hardware.. and tried to update drive software
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:47 AM
  • omg I just found out to remove THe Admin password Glitch ^_^ No wonder we can't install drivers that the main access blocked! Run the Drivers as Administrators.. always!!
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:58 AM
  • Hi guys to those people who are having problem with Conexant AC-Link Audio/AC 97 Audio on VISTA x64 ver. As I have been searching for solution I have downloaded all the recommended audio driver but did not work. but finally managed to work and I would like to share because this may help you as well.
    download SP35558.exe from web. you shouldn't have much problem finding it( I downloaded it from 64bitdrivers.com; hope I got the site name right). when you
    double click the file after download, it will show window for installation and you will prabably click next->next-> and "installing...." screen pops up and after installation will say have failed to install audio driver. now at this time your audio would not work because driver was failed to install. now go to
    CONTROL PANEL-> SYSTEM->DEVICE MANAGER. What you will find is Audio controller with yellow circle with question mark on it. select the device right click and
    click on PROPERTIES. Click INSTALL DRIVER manually and click SELECT DEVICE->AUDIO CONTROLLER. if you have read this from beginning we have downloaded SP35558.exe file and tried to install it. It failed but driver files are extracted in c:\swsetup (by default unless you changed folder name).  Now from INSTALL DRIVER MANUALLY->SELECT DEVICE->AUDIO CONTROLLER you will be prompted to select folder where you will search for the driver file. select c:\swsetup\sp3558\ and there will be file called CP6308BA. Click on it and it will show "conexant AC Link Audio". click next and it will pop a message saying 
    it may not work properly etc etc. do you still wish to install. click OK and proceed to install. There your audio is installed and working perfectly.

SUMMARY
    TESTED MODEL: Gateway MX7515

-download SP35558.exe (conexant AC-Link Audio driver for vista X64)
    -double click to install and at the end it will say "failed to install" but driver files will be extracted to c:\swsetup(default)
    -go to CONTROL PANEL
    -go to SYSTEM
    -click DEVICE MANAGER (on the right side of the window)
    -select audio cotroller device with question mark on it (driver that are not installed or installed improperly will show up with question mark on it)
    -right click and click PROPERTIES
    -click DRIVER INSTALL
    -click INSTALL MANUALLY
    -click SELECT DEVICE from the list (bottom of the window)
    -select Audio Controller
    -click HAVE DISK
    -select folder c:\swsetup\sp35558\
    -click the file that appears on the folder
    -Conexant AC-Link Audio will appear on the screen
    -click next
    -warning window will appear but click OK to proceed
    -install complete.
    -test your sound if it works
    -you did GREAT JOB now it's working properly.

hope this helps guys good luck
    Friday, September 04, 2009 7:34 AM