System lacked sufficient buffer space? Or a queue was full?

Question

• I wasn't sure if this was where I should pose my question or if it would be handled in the .NET Framework Networking and Communication forum.  In any event, here's the situation:

I have a console app that resides on a server and periodically polls it to retrieve usage information on 23 virtual servers being hosted by it.  This app has been running non-stop every 5 minutes as a scheduled task since 13 June of this year, but it has started returning an "An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full" error as of 2:40 this morning.  I'm using a TcpClient to communicate with the server, but I explicitly close the connection before the program terminates and waits for the Windows Task Scheduler to run again.  The amount of data being transferred is rather negligible ... certainly no more than 10k in either direction.  Why am I suddenly, after over 4,000 runs, getting this error message returned?

Monday, June 22, 2009 6:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Could you check if the solution proposed at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/815209 addresses your problem?

Thanks

Reymarx Gereda [MSFT]
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:59 PM
  • When you receive this error you will want to dump the results of the netstat command to determine how many open sockets are running and what ports are open.  This will help you to gauge a possible culprit.  It's a start but obviously there's a lot more analytical work to be done.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:34 AM