LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'dinput.lib'

Question

• i get

LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'dinput.lib'

when i try to compile the bzflag file in the solution from

http://superb-west.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/bzflag/bzflag-2.0.10.zip

in win32 then in VC71 (after converting)

i get

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open input file 'dinput.lib'

when i try to compile the VC8 one

i just want to compile it so i want to know how to fix it

Saturday, January 19, 2008 11:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It means that your project has depends on “dinput.lib”, thus, you must make sure that “dinput.lib” exists in current directory or the “library Files” directory (you can get “library Files” directory at “Tools-->Options-->Projects and Solutions-->VC++ Directories-->Library Files”).

As far as I know, “dinput.lib” is a part of DirectX SDK. Thus, you should firstly install the DirectX SDK and then set up reference properly in Visual Studio. For detail information, you can read this thread.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=595754&SiteID=1

Hope this helps!

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It means that your project has depends on “dinput.lib”, thus, you must make sure that “dinput.lib” exists in current directory or the “library Files” directory (you can get “library Files” directory at “Tools-->Options-->Projects and Solutions-->VC++ Directories-->Library Files”).

As far as I know, “dinput.lib” is a part of DirectX SDK. Thus, you should firstly install the DirectX SDK and then set up reference properly in Visual Studio. For detail information, you can read this thread.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=595754&SiteID=1

Hope this helps!

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:35 AM
  •  

dinput8.lib is part of the SDK, but not dinput.lib... which was pretty surprising.

Is this intentional? What's the rationale?

Thursday, February 21, 2008 7:53 PM
  • I don't know what the rationale is, but the latest DX8 SDK certainly doesn't include dinput.lib. You can still download it separately from other sites and just drop it in the /lib/ directory along with dinput8.lib. That will allow bzflag to compile without error. Just google dinput.lib and you'll find somewhere to download it.
    • Proposed as answer by quang bui-duy Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:47 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by quang bui-duy Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:48 PM
    Friday, March 14, 2008 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

The problem is :The missing "dinput.lib" from DXSDK9 is REALLY the incomplete lib path specification, which should be:

"../lib/x86" instead of "../lib".

Microsoft linker cannot find "dinput8.lib" because of the incomplete lib path, and searched for the old "dinput.lib". 

Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:01 PM