none
Workflow in SharePoint 2013: Update item in list

Question

• I have a task list where anyone can post a suggestion for a blog. There is a string field for the status.

I have a library where the author can upload the blog article when ready to send for review. Uploading the document triggers the workflow to start. This document is reviewed twice and when the author is satisfied it will go for translation and then for web publication.

All of this is worked out in the workflow except for one thing: I would like to update the task list at each stage of the process to the current status. Since it can all be done programmatically, I don't need to use a "choice" field. The string field would be just fine. One of the things I saw in my research is that "choice" fields won't update.

I have put a lookup field in the blog article library to correspond with the title in the task list to create a relationship.

First of all, is it possible to do to update a task from a document library, or am I just spitting in the wind? If so, why doesn't it work?

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:26 PM

All replies

• Hi ODowda,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 9:52 AM
  • It is certainly possible to update tasks through a workflow. If you need to know why it doesn't work in your instance, I would encourage you to open a support case with the Microsoft SharePoint Support team. An engineer would then be assigned to scope the issue, investigate, and perform active troubleshooting as required to help resolve the issue for you.
    Friday, June 07, 2013 10:11 AM
  • I have opened a support case, but as of yet not found an answer. He seemed to think the list and library should be linked, which they already are with lookup fields. He felt the link needs to be in the workflow. I tried that and it didn't work.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:22 AM
  • which specific field you want to update after task approval. Did you create a content type based on workflow task (SharePoint 2013) and associated that particular content type with your task list?

I repeat my question - do you want to update task list after the task execution or just after assignment?

If its just after assignment then I think its not possible OOB and if its after the execution of the task then its doable OOB since there are two variables set as task out i.e. task outcome and TaskID (guid of the current task list item) and from that TaskID you can lookup the task list item and update any field.

Friday, February 14, 2014 3:29 PM